follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #127
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
since the motor is removed, the TOB is visible and easily accessible. So, transmission fluid is drained if TOB is replaced?
The throw out bearing is not in the transmission fluid. You do not have to touch the fluid to replace a TOB. You do not have to touch the TOB to do the fluid.

You do not have to touch the clutch to do the TOB. You do not have to touch the TOB to do the clutch.

They're all in the same vicinity, but all separate parts.

If you were replacing the clutch, you would generally replace all of the above. But that isn't required to do the work.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
DarkSideFRS (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #128
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
since the motor is removed, the TOB is visible and easily accessible. So, transmission fluid is drained if TOB is replaced?
Yes, with the engine out it is easy to access the TOB.

If the transmission is removed to isntall a TOB, the fluid would typically be replaced. Being the engine is removed they would not drain the transmission as the transmission stays in the car and is not impacted.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
DarkSideFRS (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #129
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just spoke with Toyota and they are only willing to cover 2 days worth of rental. Are they just BS ing me or is this the same with everyone else?
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #130
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
thanks for the confirmation. i am running Motul 300, so i was hoping they don't drain it lol
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #131
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The TOB is just a couple of clips and a $25 - $40 part (depending where you buy it). The clutch is ...well... all the clutch. If the TOB hasn't gone too bad then the clutch will be fine. If the TOB melted away to nothing then the clutch and flywheel will be toast.
I guess its one of those things I wont know until they get it out and can look, I've not had any functional issues thus far.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #132
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupindub View Post
Just spoke with Toyota and they are only willing to cover 2 days worth of rental. Are they just BS ing me or is this the same with everyone else?
That is the supposed time it takes to do the work. If it takes longer that is their issue not yours and if they try to charge you for it then contact Toyota. Toyota is paying the dealers back for the rental fees so there should be no issue. Just do not give them a credit card number for the rental no matter how much they push for one.
lupindub (02-19-2019), Summerwolf (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #133
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slizoth View Post
I guess its one of those things I wont know until they get it out and can look, I've not had any functional issues thus far.
My guess would be that it will be fine. Believe me you know when the TOB goes all the way out and wrecks the clutch.
I am a chronic procrastinator with such things and paid the price!
Attached Images

slizoth (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #134
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
That is the supposed time it takes to do the work. If it takes longer that is their issue not yours and if they try to charge you for it then contact Toyota. Toyota is paying the dealers back for the rental fees so there should be no issue. Just do not give them a credit card number for the rental no matter how much they push for one.
I am a pretty level headed dude but I can feel my blood start to boil.

I took my car in on 1/17/19 to confirm my car needs the recall and the Toyota rep told me that he'll order the "parts" and call me back when it comes in.

Current date is 2/19/19 and my car is STILL not in the shop. No call to be heard.

Decided to call and see what was up, was straight up told a bald faced lie that they called my previous cellphone # even though they have my new number, e-mail, and my mother's phone #.

Then the gal on the phone had the guts to tell me that corporate only cover's 2 days worth of rental and if it takes longer, i'm paying out of pocket. I call BS and canceled appointment for now. Not sure what to do from here.

I've never done this before but at this point, I am almost considering calling corporate because this is borderline becoming a circus.

Last edited by lupindub; 02-19-2019 at 07:24 PM.
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #135
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I am a pretty level headed dude but I can feel my blood start to boil.

I took my car in on 1/17/19 to confirm my car needs the recall and the Toyota rep told me that he'll order the "parts" and call me back when it comes in.

Current date is 2/19/19 and my car is STILL not in the shop. No call to be heard.

Decided to call and see what was up, was straight up told a bald faced lie that they called my previous cellphone # even though they have my new number, e-mail, and my mother's phone #.

Then the gal on the phone had the guts to tell me that corporate only cover's 2 days worth of rental and if it takes longer, i'm paying out of pocket. I call BS and canceled appointment for now. Not sure what to do from here.

I've never done this before but at this point, I am almost considering calling corporate because this is borderline becoming a circus.
Contact a different dealer and see if they're willing to do your recall work.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #136
sohcanddohc

Drives: 18 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finally got the car back today. My recall paper looks a little different. Let’s hope they did it right.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #137
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
valve spring recall/ additional work performed when engine is out

Quote:
is the transmission fluid drained if the TOB is replaced? I doubt it is, but just making sure

Typically you would drain the fluid to do the TOB because you have to disconnect the drive shaft to drop the tranny. In the case of the recall they leave the drive shaft connected and leave the tranny in the car and pull the engine out the top. So they will have access to the TOB and clutch without messing with the fluid.

Edit: sorry I see this has already be answered several times.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #138
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcanddohc View Post
Finally got the car back today. My recall paper looks a little different. Let’s hope they did it right.

Yes that is VERY different. Hahaha. They replaced your short block, a head and some of the valve train. So they are claiming you had a broken spring when your car was dropped off. Was your car running strange when you brought it in? It’s strange they don’t explain why they replaced your block.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #139
sohcanddohc

Drives: 18 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Yes that is VERY different. Hahaha. They replaced your short block, a head and some of the valve train. So they are claiming you had a broken spring when your car was dropped off. Was your car running strange when you brought it in? It’s strange they don’t explain why they replaced your block.
Ran fine no CEL or any sign of internal damage. I think this is a case of we will never know for sure. I am really pissed about it but not really sure what I can do.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #140
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
That is the supposed time it takes to do the work. If it takes longer that is their issue not yours and if they try to charge you for it then contact Toyota. .
@lupindub you could refer the dealer to the official NHTSA notification I reference here.

Amongst the document is the official notification to the dealers that not only says Toyota will cover the rental for the repair, but would cover it if you are "are uncomfortable driving their vehicle while Toyota prepares the remedy, a loaner vehicle or alternative transportation through Toyota Rent-A-Car can be claimed for $35 per day."

There is no mention of a limit on days, and in fact you could have had a rental for almost two months while they were putting together the recall notifications and repair instructions (at least that's how I read it).

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-20-2019)