follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #29
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omadab View Post
... now they want me to also sign a contract (im assuming to buy the car) before I even get to test drive it...

OK that's going to far, even for Quebec. Note the area I made BOLD in the following from:
https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consum...e/used-dealer/

Before purchasing a used vehicle, you should test drive it and have it inspected.
Have it inspected by a mechanic you trust. Test drive it for a sufficient length of time: driving around the block is not enough.
Merchant refusal

The merchant is required to accept your request. Do not go through with the transaction if the merchant does not allow you to test drive the vehicle or have it inspected. This merchant may be trying to hide a serious mechanical problem from you. You could also report the merchant to the Office de la protection du consommateur as this practice is prohibited by regulations.
If the vehicle is being sold without a warranty of fitness (vehicle category D), it is even more important to conduct a test drive.
The consultation with a mechanic is done at your expense. This expertise will allow you to have a clear picture of the vehicle’s condition.
Price of the vehicle

Focus on the problems you have discovered following the inspection and test drive as you negotiate the price of the vehicle.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Lav (02-05-2019), omadab (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #30
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay a little update.
Called back and told them I'm willing to do the credit check + 500$. now they want me to also sign a contract (im assuming to buy the car) before I even get to test drive it. idk if thats how they work or if theyre trying to hide a problem with the car and force the sale onto me.....
I'm really bummed cuz its the nicest in the city and I can't even fucking buy it. I'm trying to give them my money but they don't want it....

don't do it don't do it don't do it.

go find another one on cargurus.com

everyone here is warning you. please listen!

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
Interlocker (02-05-2019), Lav (02-05-2019), omadab (02-05-2019), Summerwolf (02-06-2019), Tcoat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:18 AM   #31
omadab

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
This sounds like the antics of a buy here pay here lot (assuming they have those scumbag places in Maple Syrup and Timmy Ho's land) not a large toyota dealership.

The last time I had an idiot refuse to let me drive a car (because I wouldn't guarantee I'd buy it...) I simply found another car and bought that. I don't understand why you aren't doing the same.. and unless you NEED a car right now just wait for the right one from a dealership that isn't full of ****heads.
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going to be using it all

However, I think this is the go to strategy. Even though this is the best car in the city (favorite color + all features) Bye bye Toyota, I'll be keeping my eye on the market for a better deal
omadab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omadab For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (02-05-2019), Lav (02-05-2019), Tcoat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:03 AM   #32
Lav

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going to be using it all

However, I think this is the go to strategy. Even though this is the best car in the city (favorite color + all features) Bye bye Toyota, I'll be keeping my eye on the market for a better deal
Good call dude

bibbity boppity give me the zoppity
Lav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:
omadab (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
OK that's going to far, even for Quebec. Note the area I made BOLD in the following from:
https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consum...e/used-dealer/

Before purchasing a used vehicle, you should test drive it and have it inspected.
Have it inspected by a mechanic you trust. Test drive it for a sufficient length of time: driving around the block is not enough.
Merchant refusal

The merchant is required to accept your request. Do not go through with the transaction if the merchant does not allow you to test drive the vehicle or have it inspected. This merchant may be trying to hide a serious mechanical problem from you. You could also report the merchant to the Office de la protection du consommateur as this practice is prohibited by regulations.
If the vehicle is being sold without a warranty of fitness (vehicle category D), it is even more important to conduct a test drive.
The consultation with a mechanic is done at your expense. This expertise will allow you to have a clear picture of the vehicle’s condition.
Price of the vehicle

Focus on the problems you have discovered following the inspection and test drive as you negotiate the price of the vehicle.
They haven't refused to let him test drive it. They have just set conditions he does not (and should not) want to meet. The dealer would walk away laughing from any investigation.
JeremyR (02-05-2019), omadab (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #34
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They haven't refused to let him test drive it. They have just set conditions he does not (and should not) want to meet.
No, the dealership has changed it's conditions. They now require him to sign a contract. In essence they keep moving the goal posts each time he gets close. I would like to think that this sort of unfair practice is exactly what the Office of Consumer Protection was set up to investigate and stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The dealer would walk away laughing from any investigation.
Well I'm sure the dealer would make anyone suggesting they would report them to think that way. But... I don't bluff. I wouldn't even give them a hint of what I might do. I'd just move on while also reporting these "children of unwed parents" to the authorities! But that's just me.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Lav (02-05-2019), omadab (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #35
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What kind of contract is it?
Did your even ask?

The fake contact was enough to weed out your fake joyriding arse!

Credit check is standard protocol to weed out joyriding ricers who ain't buying squat.

Is your were serious about buying a car, you'd be AT the dealer lot, not calling around looking for a free joyride.

GO TO THE DEALER

Then tell us if your get shot down the same

Last edited by GrantedTaken; 02-05-2019 at 04:05 PM.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantedTaken For This Useful Post:
omadab (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
No, the dealership has changed it's conditions. They now require him to sign a contract. In essence they keep moving the goal posts each time he gets close. I would like to think that this sort of unfair practice is exactly what the Office of Consumer Protection was set up to investigate and stop.

Well I'm sure the dealer would make anyone suggesting they would report them to think that way. But... I don't bluff. I wouldn't even give them a hint of what I might do. I'd just move on while also reporting these "children of unwed parents" to the authorities! But that's just me.
I wouldn't put up with it either but that doesn't mean they didn't meet the requirements. They just have "conditions" and even if they change they have not refused him a test drive. Is it unfair? Yes. Is it slimy? Yes Will any board decided they broke the rules? No.

Any dealership that would pull that sort of scammy process has accepted shady and discriminate practices as part of their business ethics and it no doubt stretches to all aspects of how they deal with customers. I may report them but doubt it will do anything so I would just be sure to let everybody I could know just how bad they are. I have done so in the past.
omadab (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #37
omadab

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Final update
I decided to go to the dealer for fun to simply check out the car. I did not make an appointment, neither did I speak to anyone before going there. This time I was smart enough to dress more professional . Boy was I glad that I went because even though the car looks immaculate, there are a lot of hidden problems. Doesn't feel like a missed opportunity anymore.

When I went to check out the car, I peaked underneath the car and noticed that the front left jack point was completely mangled. I don't know how the jack point can possibly have this much damage done to it unless the car was in an accident. After that I realized there is a fluid leaking somewhere near that jack point. A salesman was intrigued by why I was peaking under the car and I was able to get him to start the car for me (inside the show room). Once he started the car, I removed the oil cap and put my hand over the fill tank to feel for engine blow by. Oil was spewing out and there was a lot of air being pushed out. Right away, I knew that the piston rings were worn. Not only that, but the mechanic that inspected the car didn't clean the inside of the fill cap well enough, there was still oil/coolant residue inside the cap. There's probably a head gasket leak. Also, the dipstick had a black residue on it. I don't know what black residue means, but it didn't look normal.
Even though the car looked great, it was in bad condition. I've learned from this experience that how you dress really makes an impact on how people perceive you and not to always give up when you run into a wall. Even though I was getting nothing but red flags from this dealership, I am still glad that I still decided to go check out the car. I've learned from my mistakes, and this car doesn't feel like a missed opportunity anymore That;s a win win to me.

oma
omadab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to omadab For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (02-06-2019), JeremyR (02-06-2019), Lav (02-06-2019), new2subaru (02-06-2019), Stephen W. (02-06-2019), Tcoat (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #38
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

When I went to check out the car, I peaked underneath the car and noticed that the front left jack point was completely mangled. I don't know how the jack point can possibly have this much damage done to it unless the car was in an accident. After that I realized there is a fluid leaking somewhere near that jack point. A salesman was intrigued by why I was peaking under the car and I was able to get him to start the car for me (inside the show room). Once he started the car, I removed the oil cap and put my hand over the fill tank to feel for engine blow by. Oil was spewing out and there was a lot of air being pushed out. Right away, I knew that the piston rings were worn. Not only that, but the mechanic that inspected the car didn't clean the inside of the fill cap well enough, there was still oil/coolant residue inside the cap. There's probably a head gasket leak. Also, the dipstick had a black residue on it. I don't know what black residue means, but it didn't look normal.

oma

Good call on gong there and also dressing better. The tactic the dealership was using was because they put you in a never going to buy just looking to drive the car category. The other issue may be do you have full coverage insurance on another car? When you test drive a car the dealer does not want you on their insurance.

Pulling the cap while running on this engine will not tell you anything, they all will spew. Also moisture buildup at the cap is normal.

Anyway keep an eye out you will find the one you want that is in good shape.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
omadab (02-06-2019), Tcoat (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #39
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I did not realize you went to the dealership before. I thought you only called in the phone
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantedTaken For This Useful Post:
omadab (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #40
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Good call on gong there and also dressing better. The tactic the dealership was using was because they put you in a never going to buy just looking to drive the car category. The other issue may be do you have full coverage insurance on another car? When you test drive a car the dealer does not want you on their insurance.

Pulling the cap while running on this engine will not tell you anything, they all will spew. Also moisture buildup at the cap is normal.

I was going to let that slide but since you brought it up...
All engines will have some air come out when you open the oil cap. Some way more than other. There are a pile of parts moving around and the oil system itself is pressurized. Normally all that air will pass through the various vents for the emission control system but when you open the cap it is the path of least resistance so out it comes. I would be much more worried if I popped an oil cap and there was no air movement or oil "spew".
If your rings were so bad and causing that much blow by you would know it. The air coming out would reek of fuel, you would have a very dense cloud of blue smoke billowing out of the tail pipe and if really bad you would actually hear the hiss during the compression stroke. How do I know? I have been there with other cars. More than once.
Grady (02-06-2019), omadab (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #41
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Good call on gong there and also dressing better.

Clothing definitely helps with some dealers.

Then again the guy in shorts and a T-shirt in a room full of suits is likely the most important person there..
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
omadab (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #42
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:

haha I like to go dressed down and tend to bring my shittiest car to dealerships. I want the salesman that NEEDS a sale instead of the one that wants the safe bet/easy sale.

Ironically the one time that I've ever been turned down for a test drive was when I tried to drive a Camaro 1SS 1LE at a dealership in Orlando, FL. And that day I pulled up in normal clothes driving a Porsche Boxster Spyder.

It was a good thing though, the 2SS 1LE became available after that and I gladly bought that instead.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
omadab (02-06-2019), Summerwolf (02-06-2019)