follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #57
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
As promised I did some experimenting with the cheap pair i bought (For just $40!!).
One side works flawlessly while the other had 6 out on the indicator and 3 out on the brake, here are the pics:

From looking at all of the other reports it would seem these particular sets are pretty much the exact sets that go wrong for people.
So what I did next was take a dremel and make some peek holes, note that the space in between the back plastic and the PCB cannot be accessed by splitting the light as other posters have found, so this is the only way to get clear access the PCBs.

The big hole on the back gives you access to both the first banks of LEDs and the main cable connections, i re-soldered all my wires to be sure while it was opened up.
I would advise once you have re-soldered the LEDs that you patch these with electrical tape, or as im currently doing, 3d printed patches to glue over the holes.

Now this is the real reason these units are having problems, dry solder joints, they will likely work from factory then randomly fail, or fail but work intermittently as they get knocked about by day to day use on the car.
I worked my way along the clusters through the peek holes, resoldering both positive and negative pins on the LEDs each hole gives access to.

Result:

Fully working set of Valenti tail lights for $40, score!

Note: It has been mentioned in previous posts that you should pull out the cables a bit from the hole to stop this issue from happening, I can tell you now, with complete certainty that this is NOT the issue, the issue is dry solder joints, hopefully someone from Valenti can be shown these pictures so that in future people with this issue within warranty can get them exchanged.

Since i bought this used for cheap I had no warranty and thus nothing to really lose, Don't attempt this if you're within warranty, just get them replaced!

Patching the holes:

Not super slick but it does the job.

Anyway, to make this super clear.
1) The LEDS are not blowing
2) Moving the wires on a working set will not prevent them from failing if they were going to fail to begin with
3) The fault is 100% down to dry solder joints failing
4) Warranty replacement is your best bet, or do what I did if your warranty is expired

Last edited by Futaba; 07-09-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Futaba For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (05-30-2016), bizintine (07-17-2015), Clipping_Path (07-20-2018), DoomsdayJesus (10-28-2016), kevaughan (06-09-2019), Kiwis (07-06-2016), Phantobe (08-01-2017), ringo16 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #58
MaDBaRMaN

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS w/ Aero Kit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My LEDs work fine, but Condensation built up in one of my tail lights and now the 'glowing ring' doesn't light up.
Does anyone know where I should be looking to fix this?
MaDBaRMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:56 AM   #59
rtrader

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDBaRMaN View Post
My LEDs work fine, but Condensation built up in one of my tail lights and now the 'glowing ring' doesn't light up.
Does anyone know where I should be looking to fix this?
Same problem here did you figure out a fix?
rtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #60
ngbrack

Drives: 2015 Halo FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrader View Post
Same problem here did you figure out a fix?
Same here too, anybody have a messed up Passenger Taillight CR they can part with?
ngbrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #61
Decimus
BAE

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
my light bar doesn't light up either... any fix for the light bar??
Decimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #62
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba View Post
Anyway, to make this super clear.
1) The LEDS are not blowing
2) Moving the wires on a working set will not prevent them from failing if they were going to fail to begin with
3) The fault is 100% down to dry solder joints failing
4) Warranty replacement is your best bet, or do what I did if your warranty is expired
Thank you so much for this, glad I found your post. You just saved me an awful lot of money on replacements.

If anyone is having issues with condensation I saw there's an actual spec for the gasket seal and how it should look. 1/4" visible, no creases. You may want to dry them out, possibly re-solder any broken connections, and re-install after checking the seal.

Stole this from modbargains.com:

Last edited by DoomsdayJesus; 10-28-2016 at 08:21 PM.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoomsdayJesus For This Useful Post:
ModBargains.com (10-29-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #63
CAHetkey

Drives: Raven Fr-s
I bought a used 2013 frs with valenti tail lights and they have the same issues..

I bought warranty for the car when i bought it so i'm hoping that will cover it.

Do you guys think there is anyway to send my lights back for replacement even though i have no warranty for them?
CAHetkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #64
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHetkey View Post
I bought a used 2013 frs with valenti tail lights and they have the same issues..

I bought warranty for the car when i bought it so i'm hoping that will cover it.

Do you guys think there is anyway to send my lights back for replacement even though i have no warranty for them?
Nope. Repair or replace. The repair isn't that difficult if you know your way around a dremel, soldering, and epoxy or similar appropriate patching method.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:51 AM   #65
Blue Bird

Drives: '14 BRZ
Reading all this makes me not want to buy them anymore
Blue Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #66
LED86

Drives: Black 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
Reading all this makes me not want to buy them anymore
This was only an issue with the very first batches in 2012/2013. Since then I haven't had to do a single replacement from failed led. Don't let this thread scare you, just don't buy any second hand tails from 2012/13. The date is stamped on the back of the lights.
LED86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #67
Findlay

Drives: 2013 GBS Subaru BRZ Limited
You say it only affects 2012/2013 taillights but I purchased mine in 2017 from ModBargains and even though I purchased them only three months ago, when I sent a picture of the model number the lady said the lights are over a year old and they are out of warranty from the manufacturer. So your telling me that ModBargains sold me a old pair of taillights.... mine have two leds out on the turn signal, guess I'll have to try and see if it's a soldering issue..
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #68
LED86

Drives: Black 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
You say it only affects 2012/2013 taillights but I purchased mine in 2017 from ModBargains and even though I purchased them only three months ago, when I sent a picture of the model number the lady said the lights are over a year old and they are out of warranty from the manufacturer. So your telling me that ModBargains sold me a old pair of taillights.... mine have two leds out on the turn signal, guess I'll have to try and see if it's a soldering issue..
Well that sucks! Shouldn't a reseller give you warranty from date of purchase not date of manufacture? That's what I do and that's what Valenti does. Do you remember what the date was on the back of yours? It could have been really really old stock.

There's always possibility led could die either this brand or another, but this particular issue I haven't had for sooooo long now.

I'm pretty interested to see what the date on yours was though.
LED86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #69
Findlay

Drives: 2013 GBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by LED86 View Post
Well that sucks! Shouldn't a reseller give you warranty from date of purchase not date of manufacture? That's what I do and that's what Valenti does. Do you remember what the date was on the back of yours? It could have been really really old stock.

There's always possibility led could die either this brand or another, but this particular issue I haven't had for sooooo long now.

I'm pretty interested to see what the date on yours was though.
So I purchased the lights on 9/04/2016 and I sent ModBargains.com a email saying I had an issue in march so that's around 6 months. The lady first said I had a year warranty but then after sending the photos which the stickers on the back say "201601 made in Taiwan" and "60-1412B ABS". I am assuming the 201601 is the date. I just can't believe they won't refund by the date purchased but by the date of the parts manufactured.
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #70
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My lights are from March 2014 according to the date stamped on the lights. And Im having intermittent LED failure.

I made some rather large peak holes in search of any dry solder joints and had no luck. Guess I'll just re solder anyway since there already opened up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote