follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #99
KalbiCool88

Drives: 2005 SLK350, 2015 RS 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Who cares about what everyone else thinks? Your happiness should trump everything else.
KalbiCool88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KalbiCool88 For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (05-26-2017), SoNotCool (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #100
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt3Sheppard View Post
They prefer to just waste more and be car less in cities
lol shame on them for moving where the only jobs that pay decent wages are

something something avocado toast
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
airjonny (05-27-2017), Tcoat (05-25-2017), Tt3Sheppard (05-28-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #101
feardemon

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I heard the same thing from my Dad and Grandpa when I announced I was buying one. It will be bad in the snow... and you don't know how to drive a manual. Well you know what I am going to put winter tires on it and learn how! Its my money I will do what I want.
feardemon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feardemon For This Useful Post:
JARE_ee (05-26-2017), Tcoat (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #102
Storm_Trooper

Drives: FR-S
You're posting on an 86 forum. You're gonna get the answer you wanna hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Storm_Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Storm_Trooper For This Useful Post:
JARE_ee (05-26-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 10:10 PM   #103
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My wife and I just had our first kid. When my dad came to visit, he asked whether it was time to trade in the FR-S for something more practical like a minivan/SUV. I told him that's what the GTI is for. It's got enough space for a rear-facing infant seat plus the stroller in the hatch, and you can throw a week's worth of groceries on top of that.

Now if we have a second kid, it'll be time to upsize the GTI. But either way the FR-S will be staying put lol.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:57 AM   #104
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by feardemon View Post
I heard the same thing from my Dad and Grandpa when I announced I was buying one. It will be bad in the snow... and you don't know how to drive a manual. Well you know what I am going to put winter tires on it and learn how! Its my money I will do what I want.
Check this out, I'd love to try this out at some point:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBdOE2z4O4"]RWD in a Snowstorm - Are we Crazy? - FR-S Long Term #3 - Everyday Driver - YouTube[/ame]

**Traction control + good snow tires are the receipt for success
Old 05-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #105
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Check this out, I'd love to try this out at some point:

**Traction control + good snow tires are the receipt for success
OK.. first.. I didn't watch the whole thing.. couldn't bear it.. but I did view quite a few snippets throughout. The stupid is sooo strong in the title, and it got stronger and stronger during the video.

You'd love to try this out at some point? Like it's some grand adventure? Dude, this is my everyday commute four months out of the year, and that's not a snowstorm, that's a coating/flurry compared to what we get.

"RWD in a Snowstorm - Are we Crazy?" - No.. but definitely no knowledge of capitalization conventions. This has been said so many times throughout these forums, but heck.. I'll say it again. RWD is GREAT in the snow.. emminently more controllable and predictable than FWD. Yes, it takes a bit more skill at first and you need to learn a few things rather than FWD's "point, press, and pray" method, but it works, and it works great; I would argue it works much BETTER than FWD. In FWD, when you lose traction you lose drive and steering simultaneously. In RWD, you don't lose your steering (unless you screw up and stomp on the brakes. Even then, the antilock brake system will probably save your stupid rump). Soo.. go ahead. Choose. No drive and no steering, or you get to keep your steering? Hmmmmmm

Folks drove RWD through snow for many, MANY decades. No, the folks in the video aren't crazy.. just ignorant.

They might as well release a video, "Conversing Face-to-face withOut Texting -- are We crazy?"

Sheeeeeesh..

Sorry... but this thread is driving me crazy.. I should probably stop reading it. The other post near the top of this page put me in a bad mood... another "Your happiness is the only thing that matters" post. Fall in love ... marry the love of your life... have a child..... maybe even find a really good friend... and tell me if you still feel the same way. Selfish assholes. Live long enough, and you'll find that about the only thing that makes you TRULY happy is helping other people.

It'd probably be best not to vent, I guess. I don't like conflict, and sure don't think I have the right to tell anyone how to live. Just breaks my heart to see such an increasing amount of "me, me, me" in the world ("Look at my selfie"... "Don't I look hot?".. 20 years ago, anyone would have been embarassed as hell to even have that thought, much less voice it or post it) and I figure it'll only get worse if it's not pointed out occasionally.

sigh.. and this didn't even make me happy...
Cole (05-29-2017), JARE_ee (05-26-2017), Tcoat (05-26-2017), Ultramaroon (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #106
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
OK.. first.. I didn't watch the whole thing.. couldn't bear it.. but I did view quite a few snippets throughout. The stupid is sooo strong in the title, and it got stronger and stronger during the video.

You'd love to try this out at some point? Like it's some grand adventure? Dude, this is my everyday commute four months out of the year, and that's not a snowstorm, that's a coating/flurry compared to what we get.

"RWD in a Snowstorm - Are we Crazy?" - No.. but definitely no knowledge of capitalization conventions. This has been said so many times throughout these forums, but heck.. I'll say it again. RWD is GREAT in the snow.. emminently more controllable and predictable than FWD. Yes, it takes a bit more skill at first and you need to learn a few things rather than FWD's "point, press, and pray" method, but it works, and it works great; I would argue it works much BETTER than FWD. In FWD, when you lose traction you lose drive and steering simultaneously. In RWD, you don't lose your steering (unless you screw up and stomp on the brakes. Even then, the antilock brake system will probably save your stupid rump). Soo.. go ahead. Choose. No drive and no steering, or you get to keep your steering? Hmmmmmm

Folks drove RWD through snow for many, MANY decades. No, the folks in the video aren't crazy.. just ignorant.

They might as well release a video, "Conversing Face-to-face withOut Texting -- are We crazy?"

Sheeeeeesh..

Sorry... but this thread is driving me crazy.. I should probably stop reading it. The other post near the top of this page put me in a bad mood... another "Your happiness is the only thing that matters" post. Fall in love ... marry the love of your life... have a child..... maybe even find a really good friend... and tell me if you still feel the same way. Selfish assholes. Live long enough, and you'll find that about the only thing that makes you TRULY happy is helping other people.

It'd probably be best not to vent, I guess. I don't like conflict, and sure don't think I have the right to tell anyone how to live. Just breaks my heart to see such an increasing amount of "me, me, me" in the world ("Look at my selfie"... "Don't I look hot?".. 20 years ago, anyone would have been embarassed as hell to even have that thought, much less voice it or post it) and I figure it'll only get worse if it's not pointed out occasionally.

sigh.. and this didn't even make me happy...

I am with you 100% on all points here and have preached the whole driving in the snow is normal and RWD was all that several generations of mothers drove in since day one. I know that not everybody drives in what we do but why does it all of a sudden become an elitist thing when they do? It is just frozen water for crying out loud.

As far as the constant "Do what you want it is your life" crap goes that is just a sign of the times I guess. Not only that but all people are basing their comments on are the one side of the story. The friends and relatives know the dude and may have perfectly valid reasons for trying to talk him out of the car. We just know what he says and god knows that he could be a tad biased with his version of events.
Cole (05-29-2017), MuseChaser (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #107
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

Drives: '16 86, '00 Celica GTS, Sportbikes
Memories of driving my first car -a '72 Dodge Charger with well-worn bias-ply tires in ice and snow in northern NY- steering with the throttle and occasionally learning exactly how to steer out of a skid.

This thread makes me SMH.
Shinigami301 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinigami301 For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (05-26-2017), Tcoat (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #108
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You want peer criticism?

You dummy, why didn't you buy the car? I would of bought it. Duh!

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #109
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami301 View Post
Memories of driving my first car -a '72 Dodge Charger with well-worn bias-ply tires in ice and snow in northern NY- steering with the throttle and occasionally learning exactly how to steer out of a skid.

This thread makes me SMH.
LOL All us old guys probably have similar memories if we live anywhere above the snowbelt. Mine was a floorless 55 Chev with 4 different bias tires (one original to the car I think).
Old 05-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #110
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
RWD in the snow? *yawn* Whatevs. Learn how to drive it.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #111
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

Drives: '16 86, '00 Celica GTS, Sportbikes
You have to remember the Everyday Driver guys are Los Angelinos who probably never once drove to Big Bear in winter. Now that they live in Utah, all that white stuff must seem so exotic and strange to them...
Shinigami301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #112
JARE_ee
Alaska Roll Lover

Drives: Blue.Series.Aozora
I think all the bad rep RWD cars have in the snow is because even with barely any snow the RWD car slips, and can't grip compared to the FWD who without snowtires can still operate. This is the problem, if we say both drive trains have winter tires we wouldnt have this debate, its the fact that you CAN drive a fwd in a little snow without snow tires, compared to the RWD car even the slightest snow can cause it to lose grip due to the lightweight backend. This isnt smart to drive without snow tires, but there are many cities with tons of people seeing this as an advantage than getting snow tires. Although i believe everyone should have them, not everyone need them in milder snow climate cities if you have a FWD car.
JARE_ee is offline   Reply With Quote