follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #29
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Should be a cool comparison once you get the GrimmSpeed intake back on. Back when we tested our prototypes against a silicone inlet+ K&N panel filter we saw a couple more ponies in the midrange, and a bit more torque. I really feel like the area that our intake makes power is going to compliment where the 2017 manual cars are making power. Should probably produce a little bit more power in those areas too, so we'll see!

Very few people look at directions anymore, but please make sure to do so with our intake. The most important point is if you put the filter onto the intake tube too far the tube will stick past the venturi on the filter, and give some weird airflow readings. During our dyno testing the difference between a filter that was on too far, and one that wasn't was substantial. I know you said your tuner saw some MAF scaling issues, so you'll want to be sure that you just do not put the filter on the end of the tube farther than 1in MAX. I usually do about .75in, and keeping the filter as straight on the tube will help some too. Should be a cool test!

Chase
Engineering
When I installed it the first time, I broke out the tape measure to make sure it was in the right spot I will make sure to be precise with it this time too.

I already let my tuner know of the change and re-dyno. He wants to see the logs before we put it back on the dyno, to see if anything changes again with the MAF.

Swapping the intake over tonight then I'll dyno again later this week.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #30
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I will have to disagree on this. Please be aware that the newer changes didn't pass the emission tests in Europe and the manufacturer is selling now the revised models with the old engine (MT & AT). I would say that they felt some pressure to provide more power and tried their best even though they were aware that they'll cross the limits in certain regions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
I didn't know that either but according to the brochure on toyota.nl, both auto and manual cars have 147kw (~200hp).
https://www.toyota.nl/brochures/gt86-brochure.json
See now that makes sense... I've been watching all these 2017 brz/86 review videos from europe (UK mostly) and wondered why they didn't have the red intake when they popped the hood...
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imnotsureaboutbrz For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (05-08-2017), nikitopo (05-08-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 02:48 AM   #31
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
Interesting results from my dyno session with the 2017 car. Largely the same as my 2013 FRS, but with some differences. Primarily, the 2013 FRS made less power stock, while the 2017 BRZ made more power stock. However, peak power was nearly identical between both cars. I was hoping the 2017's would gain more overall, but it looks like they are pretty efficient from the factory compared to the old cars and end up almost the same when you have similar upgrades.

2017 peak power, 91oct street tune: 182hp/147tq @ the wheels (altitude corrected).

Details in the video.
I am accepting such dyno results with a salt of grain. The information here is contradictory to other evidence. Check here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118320

The real difference of the older stock cars ('13 - '16) with the '17 cars is 5 hp. Additionally, you're saying that the bolt-ons and tune on the new car gave minimal peak gains. If we subtract the 5 hp difference, then I would expect that the peak gains of the same parts on the old car to be also minimal.

My overall point is that the argument "the old cars were not efficient from the factory" is nonsense. It was just a big greenfield for the aftermarket scene and some vendors exaggerated the results for their own benefit with specific products.

Last edited by nikitopo; 05-09-2017 at 03:07 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #32
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am accepting such dyno results with a salt of grain. The information here is contradictory to other evidence. Check here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118320

The real difference of the older stock cars ('13 - '16) with the '17 cars is 5 hp. Additionally, you're saying that the bolt-ons and tune on the new car gave minimal peak gains. If we subtract the 5 hp difference, then I would expect that the peak gains of the same parts on the old car to be also minimal.

My overall point is that the argument "the old cars were not efficient from the factory" is nonsense. It was just a big greenfield for the aftermarket scene and some vendors exaggerated the results for their own benefit with specific products.
13' stock tune sucks ass. Rich on the top and lumpy on idle
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #33
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Heres a log of this guys 2017 stock brz

http://www.datazap.me/u/justinco/201...-2-4-7-9-10-11

Now you will notice two things

1. It doesn't run pig rich like the older cars, 2017 12.5 AFR, the older cars ran down into the high 10 AFR like 10.8

2. The STFT is still active all the way to redline at WOT , ie its running CLOSED loop all the way. This equals better AFR control. The old tunes went OPEN loop fuelling after a short period of WOT.

Around 12 is what most tuners leaned out the old tunes to get a bit more power higher rpm if the fuel was good enough.

In the new tunes its already done so its likely to limit gains you can make with tune alone. Which this guys before and after dyno appear to show.

The 2017 ECU software has changed not just the setting in tune tables.

They have completely revised the fuelling strategy, its much more complex than the old fuelling logic, additional fuel tables and changed logic and runs closed loop almost all the time.

They also have two timing and fueling maps/modes in the ZA1JKxxx roms.

Last edited by steve99; 05-09-2017 at 09:37 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
200hp/tonne (05-09-2017), FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-25-2018), invaliduser (05-09-2017), justinco (05-09-2017), phm14 (05-11-2020), Prodigalson (09-15-2018), sato (05-16-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #34
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

The factory claim is 5hp, real world dynos show more like 10-15whp more stock vs stock on the same dyno in similar conditions. The <=2016 were a bit overrated on power, the 2017's are more true to the claimed hp.

The tunes on the original cars were rushed, and it showed in many ways. The 2017's have a much more refined tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
@justinco just goes to show how poor the factory exhaust manifold and tune of the first gen 86's were. It would be interesting to see auto-x times between your old frs and new brz though.
Enough that the new ones are a class higher than the earlier cars.

Quote:
I will have to disagree on this. Please be aware that the newer changes didn't pass the emission tests in Europe and the manufacturer is selling now the revised models with the old engine (MT & AT). I would say that they felt some pressure to provide more power and tried their best even though they were aware that they'll cross the limits in certain regions.
It's the same engine, just different manifolds and tunes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (05-09-2017), justinco (05-09-2017), phm14 (05-11-2020), Teseo (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #35
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
@justinco posted before/after dyno videos of his 2013 frs. Not looking at the actual numbers, there were gains across the rpm band. Early cars had deficiencies, which were corrected for the 2017MY with a revised exhaust manifold, tune and other things. Which is possibly the reason why the gains aren't as great on the newer cars.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h4kkTgmjXE"]Scion FRS post upgrade dyno numbers - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #36
200hp/tonne

Drives: Raven Fr-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Heres a log of this guys 2017 stock brz
They also have two timing and fueling maps/modes in the ZA1JKxxx roms.
Do you know if the ECU hardware is the same?
Also, what is the point behind multiple ignition maps?

200hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #37
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
1. It doesn't run pig rich like the older cars, 2017 12.5 AFR, the older cars ran down into the high 10 AFR like 10.8
Hi Steve. A few questions ...

How do you monitor the AFRs? I've seen different dynos of the older cars (stock) and the AFRs were totally different.

Quote:
They have completely revised the fuelling strategy, its much more complex than the old fuelling logic, additional fuel tables and changed logic and runs closed loop almost all the time.
They are running now in closed loop almost all the time for better fuel consumption. This was confirmed by the factory.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #38
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
How do you monitor the AFRs? I've seen different dynos of the older cars (stock) and the AFRs were totally different.
If the car in question has been tuned, then the AFR will be whatever the tune is commanding. If you're relying on the stock primary O2, it'll be different because it can only read so low without being re-scaled.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #39
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Hi Steve. A few questions ...

They are running now in closed loop almost all the time for better fuel consumption. This was confirmed by the factory.

The log above AFR measured by vehicles 02 sensor, the 2017 tune calibrates it down to 10 afr.

The previous tunes only calibrated 02 sensor down to 12.17 afr so even if it ran way richer (which it did) you could not see the correct reading using the vehicle o2 sensor unless you flashed a tune with 02 sensor recalibrated to read lower afr. Or you had to use a tailpipe sensor, these usually read a little different to the vehicle 02 sensor that right near the exhaust port, tailpipe sensor usually read 0.5 to 1 afr point leaner from what ive seen.

Here is log of an older STOCK rom , note how the AFR just flatlines at the sensor reading limit of 12.17, its rearly running afr down to 10.8 or so

http://www.datazap.me/u/steve99/brz-...zoom=1718-1986

See Image at end of this post the STOCK fuel table targeted by ecu in older roms 2012-2016, high rpm/load its targeting in the 10 AFR

Pretty well every tune ive logged tuners have leaned out the old tunes to around 12 to 12.3 at high rpm/load. this was an easy power gain, they also did changes to cam timings.

however ive seen a few kw gained on cars that ran rich by simply leaning them out to what the original tuner set (ie the maf scaling was off due say intake change) correcting the afr got you a few kw without changing anything else.

They don't seem to be claiming better economy figures on our web site still got 7.8l/100km as per old version

A01G is older rom, K00C is 2017 rom

Attached Images

Last edited by steve99; 05-09-2017 at 12:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (05-09-2017), justinco (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #40
justinco
btr.life

Quote:
I am accepting such dyno results with a salt of grain.
As you should. Pretty sure I made that clear in the video that there are so many variables to take into account, and this was just 1 test. You are welcome to perform your own and share
Old 05-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #41
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hp/tonne View Post
Do you know if the ECU hardware is the same?
Also, what is the point behind multiple ignition maps?

The ecu hardware and processor appear to be same.

however while you can flash older roms to the 2017 ecu , don't, their appears to be changes to the Security system in the 2017 and the car wont start ecu and immobiliser modules throw a hissy fit, believe me I know. You can get it working again by resyncing all the security modules, but you need the 2017 rom.

All the changes to fueling strategy and timing strategy are not yet fully understood, especially by opensource guys. Ecutek guys have got most of it sorted, but think theirs still a few unknowns.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
200hp/tonne (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #42
justinco
btr.life

Quote:
The ecu hardware and processor appear to be same.

however while you can flash older roms to the 2017 ecu , don't, their appears to be changes to the Security system in the 2017 and the car wont start ecu and immobiliser modules throw a hissy fit, believe me I know. You can get it working again by resyncing all the security modules, but you need the 2017 rom.

All the changes to fueling strategy and timing strategy are not yet fully understood, especially by opensource guys. Ecutek guys have got most of it sorted, but think theirs still a few unknowns.
Another thing to add about ECUtek: It seems the RaceRom features (ie: launch control, flat-foot shift, auto-blip downshift, etc) do not work on the 2017 cars. I have done extensive testing with my tuner and cannot see to get them to work. Map switching via the cruise control stalk is also not working, we had to go back to the old style map switching, which works (gas pedal + defrost button).