follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #141
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Carista App: $39.99/year or $9.99/1-week pass

Nope, not paying a $40 every year for use of a $20 app. They'd get more business if they just took the $20 one time and weren't so greedy.
Reach up under front of car and unplug relay = free
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:09 PM   #142
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Carista App: $39.99/year or $9.99/1-week pass

Nope, not paying a $40 every year for use of a $20 app. They'd get more business if they just took the $20 one time and weren't so greedy.

Reach up under front of car and unplug relay = free

Carista does more than simply disable the DRLs. For example you can turn off the annoying seat belt warning. Personally that alone is worth $9.99. As a software dev it kind of bugs me when people consider any app that cost more the free a rip off.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #143
Impureclient
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Carista does more than simply disable the DRLs. For example you can turn off the annoying seat belt warning. Personally that alone is worth $9.99. As a software dev it kind of bugs me when people consider any app that cost more the free a rip off.
$20 ≠ free
I understand you need money to pay your bills like we all have but software developers usually aren't hurting for money and considering it's an easy inside job that requires very little physical effort and not much toll on the body, I don't have much sympathy considering I am outside in 90+ degree weather 6 days a week and also have to run the business. If you own a home and use the service, I bet you expect your yard maintenance people to work for as little as you can get away with giving them, same applies here. That's fine since you're just trying to save a buck here and there. There's a reason that Americans are allowing illegal immigrants to take all the outside hard work jobs and it's not because they are easy and pay well. Some companies can get away with charging for a service even if you don't use it like a garbage collecting service. Carista is something we don't even need which is why it's hilarious they think they can charge a yearly fee.
$40 a year is too much for any app that you use one time and maybe possibly never again. $10 for using it once is too much too which is why I said $20 and you can use it as much as you like. That's why people use get pirated apps and circumvent the greed. I have a app on my phone that allows me to open/shut my garage door and know when it's open or close any where in the World, that was free with the garage door opener. I'd actually pay yearly for that since it's useful not just one time but the Carista app doesn't earn that honor for what it is. Wyze cam sells a $20 1080p security camera with 2 weeks of cloud storage...no monthly/yearly charge. I'd like to charge double for my labor or even better charge people yearly fees for nothing extra but unfortunately I'd get no customers that way. That's why not many people even use Carista especially since they went with their new yearly subscription scheme. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if the app was reasonably priced and a one time charge like it should be. They'll adapt by lowering their price to a more aggressive and informed buyer or go away like Kmart/Blockbuster/Pets.com/etc.

TLDR: Unplug relay for removing DRL still free.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:27 AM   #144
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
$20 ≠ free
I understand you need money to pay your bills like we all have but software developers usually aren't hurting for money and considering it's an easy inside job that requires very little physical effort and not much toll on the body, I don't have much sympathy considering I am outside in 90+ degree weather 6 days a week and also have to run the business. If you own a home and use the service, I bet you expect your yard maintenance people to work for as little as you can get away with giving them, same applies here. That's fine since you're just trying to save a buck here and there. There's a reason that Americans are allowing illegal immigrants to take all the outside hard work jobs and it's not because they are easy and pay well. Some companies can get away with charging for a service even if you don't use it like a garbage collecting service. Carista is something we don't even need which is why it's hilarious they think they can charge a yearly fee.
$40 a year is too much for any app that you use one time and maybe possibly never again. $10 for using it once is too much too which is why I said $20 and you can use it as much as you like. That's why people use get pirated apps and circumvent the greed. I have a app on my phone that allows me to open/shut my garage door and know when it's open or close any where in the World, that was free with the garage door opener. I'd actually pay yearly for that since it's useful not just one time but the Carista app doesn't earn that honor for what it is. Wyze cam sells a $20 1080p security camera with 2 weeks of cloud storage...no monthly/yearly charge. I'd like to charge double for my labor or even better charge people yearly fees for nothing extra but unfortunately I'd get no customers that way. That's why not many people even use Carista especially since they went with their new yearly subscription scheme. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if the app was reasonably priced and a one time charge like it should be. They'll adapt by lowering their price to a more aggressive and informed buyer or go away like Kmart/Blockbuster/Pets.com/etc.

Jesus Christ thats a humongous reply for what could be a simple answer. You say it's an easy job and that shows to me you really have never worked or have the knowledge to work in an IT environment. You have no sympathy simply because your life is harder and you chose a different career path?

You realize OBD-II PID development for a bunch of cars is incredibly time intensive and costly right? If you don't work on your cars then don't buy it, but it's incredibly useful if you have a modern cars,and friends that wrench on modern cars. I've used it a lot for TPMS settings and other stuff and it's super convenient. It's like techstream but across a bunch of brands, normally the OEM equivalent software for cars is quadruple that, and pirated techstream or subaru tis just isn't the same. Unplugging or wiring things is stupid and it's way easier to just press an in app button and have it easily reversible.

You can't compare smart home automation tech or security camera tech, like your myQ or whatever brand garage door opener and the wyze cameras. They have a cloud backbone and software infrastructure that can easily be developed and hosted via a web service. Also wyze cam is another chinese camera supplier that wyze put there software on, xiaomi and yi use the same hardware and similiar SDKs. That's nothing like an OBD-II software scheme.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 02-24-2019 at 04:59 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #145
ermax

Quote:
$20 ≠ free

If you have a hard job that you don’t like then why not just become a developer. It’s crazy easy. I sit here on my ass all day pressing buttons all day. Oh and I also make so much money I import illegals that I can pay nothing to do my law. Actually my job is sooooo easy I am thinking of handing my keyboard and chair to one of my many illegals to do it so o can sit on my ass and watch the money flow in masses.

Come on man, join the club. It’s simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #146
Impureclient
Banned

Butts are hurt, software devs unit!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #147
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

Because you blatantly made stuff up and got into a rant about your life doing manual labor to justify not paying for something...
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #148
Impureclient
Banned

All right settle down before I get angry too and have to download a pirated version of Carista and turn off a beep on my car. I don't want to have to turn any beeps off here.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #149
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
the real problem here is using a subscription model for what realistically very few users need a subscription for.

monitoring canbus and randomly re-keying codes to figure out what does what is time intensive on a level that 'very' doesn't cover right. IMO, they need to be charging more for a lifetime liscence and drop the subscription concept..
ermax (02-24-2019), FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:09 PM   #150
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the real problem here is using a subscription model for what realistically very few users need a subscription for.

monitoring canbus and randomly re-keying codes to figure out what does what is time intensive on a level that 'very' doesn't cover right. IMO, they need to be charging more for a lifetime liscence and drop the subscription concept..

Perhaps but let’s be honest, there a lot of people out there that expect all software be free. Actually they expect literally everything to be free in life.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #151
ermax

Quote:

Trust me I’m not the slightest bit butthurt. Your rant made me laugh but didn’t hurt my butt.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #152
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

All right settle down before I get angry too and have to download a pirated version of Carista and turn off a beep on my car. I don't want to have to turn any beeps off here.
I mean you could've gotten the cracked version but instead you decided to yank the DRL resistor
Old 07-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #153
Impureclient
Banned

My car was smacked and then repainted and when they put it all back together they plugged it back in. This thread is the first that comes up in Google, needed the reminder where plug was.
This time around I realized it is just that 3"x4" vented panel under the front corner that you remove. Reach directly up and you'll feel the plug to unplug it. Done in like 30 seconds.