follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #617
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We'll have to wait and see of course. If they were smart, they left service clearance. If they were sloppy, hopefully some U-joints and innovative tools will work. If they were dumb [i.e. NA Miata oil filter] there will be lots of expletives and bloody knuckles.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #618
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
what valve adjusting is everyone talking about?!! the only subaru EJ heads that have needed them are the SOHC NA heads. These FA and FB heads are a hydraulic and rocker arm setup.

Plugs aren't nearly as bad as most guys say. On a stock engine bay, GD chassis, it takes me about 45 minutes in no rush...in my coupe (race car), about 10 minutes

As for this chassis and engine, I'm wondering what provisions they've made for plug changing. I'm also wondering if the manifold will drop out AS easily. I'm thinking we may to knock the motor mount nuts off and pick it up a bit to clear the x-member. I'll know soon enough.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #619
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
what valve adjusting is everyone talking about?!! the only subaru EJ heads that have needed them are the SOHC NA heads. These FA and FB heads are a hydraulic and rocker arm setup.

Plugs aren't nearly as bad as most guys say. On a stock engine bay, GD chassis, it takes me about 45 minutes in no rush...in my coupe (race car), about 10 minutes

As for this chassis and engine, I'm wondering what provisions they've made for plug changing. I'm also wondering if the manifold will drop out AS easily. I'm thinking we may to knock the motor mount nuts off and pick it up a bit to clear the x-member. I'll know soon enough.
Have you had a chance to directly compare the FB with a Toyota GR motor?

I'm curious but since Toyota's involvement the FB did some of the same things that the GR did when they went from the MZ, roller rocker, separate cam carrier are what stand out to me. But what about piston pins, rod sizing, etc..?

Reason I'm asking is I'm a bit curious about whether the 94mm D4-S pistons from the 11.8:1 2GRFSE could be used in a frankenstein FB25 with FA20 head, or be suitable for a 94mm bored FA24, while keeping the startup normal (or whatever the hell the funny piston crown is for on the D4-S).

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #620
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
someone is catching on

I'll be bring internals to the market, like I already do. I'll be making piston and rod combo for the pretty much exactly what you're talking about.

Now that you know part of the plan...
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #621
Tradewind

Drives: 2006 Subaru Liberty EZ30 S/charged
I am only familiar with the SOHC versions of Subaru engines hence talking about manual valve adjustment
Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #622
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Having had a look at the exhaust piping under the car, and having read the reviews that mention that the vehicle runs out of gas a little bit before the redline, I'm pretty convinced that switching to a minimally restrictive single pipe exhaust (with a little black plastic cutout to cover the hole in the rear diffuser), along with a good cold air intake, will result in 20-25hp or so with a good tune.

The engine is just a glorified air pump. Falling off in power before reaching any kind of mechanically limited RPM point (floating valves, etc) means there's room for improvement in the air pump.

Changes with the mechanical inner-workings of the engine to increase the redline will of course improve power as well, but I think there's likely quite a bit of room for optimization even without internal changes.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #623
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Having had a look at the exhaust piping under the car, and having read the reviews that mention that the vehicle runs out of gas a little bit before the redline, I'm pretty convinced that switching to a minimally restrictive single pipe exhaust (with a little black plastic cutout to cover the hole in the rear diffuser), along with a good cold air intake, will result in 20-25hp or so with a good tune.

The engine is just a glorified air pump. Falling off in power before reaching any kind of mechanically limited RPM point (floating valves, etc) means there's room for improvement in the air pump.

Changes with the mechanical inner-workings of the engine to increase the redline will of course improve power as well, but I think there's likely quite a bit of room for optimization even without internal changes.
exhaust manifold is probably the main restriction in the whole exhaust system. who knows how creative the aftermarket can get with header design given the limited space.

Last edited by madfast; 02-04-2012 at 12:44 PM.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #624
Maxim

Hmm. I'm more inclined to think that the cat and that terribly designed muffler which looks to redirect the exhaust flow at least twice are more restrictive than the header.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #625
Tradewind

Drives: 2006 Subaru Liberty EZ30 S/charged
I doubt there is more than 10hp in exhaust fiddling, if I am wrong then so be it. In the past SOHC Subaru's have had significant losses in the air filter/intake system in the order of near 10hp, but nothing as significant was available for gain on the exhaust side.

But this is a new beast so - maybe the tables have been turned
Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #626
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Yeah, but on the AS1 the engine seems to be sitting right on top of the front subframe, so it may not be all that easy.
I take it back.

old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #627
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
That's an EJ.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #628
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yes, but with an AS1 crossmember and from all appearances, an AS1 header/cat.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #629
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
I doubt there is more than 10hp in exhaust fiddling, if I am wrong then so be it. In the past SOHC Subaru's have had significant losses in the air filter/intake system in the order of near 10hp, but nothing as significant was available for gain on the exhaust side.

But this is a new beast so - maybe the tables have been turned
Oh I agree that there's probably no more than 10-12hp to be had from road-legal cat-back modifications. A cold air intake and a tune to take maximum advantage of the new intake/exhaust though....yeah I dont think 20hp will be a stretch at all.

Full headers/exhaust/intake/tune I think we could see RX-8 levels of power out of the car without any problem. Maybe not quite the peak numbers, but given the wide torque range of this engine compared to the peaky Renesis....area under the curve should probably exceed the RX-8.

And it weighs 250+ pounds less.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #630
bambbrose
Wiring Nerd

Drives: 1994 Supra
Didn't see the official brz dyno chart in this thread yet.

bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote