follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #337
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
any news of this kit being CARB approved? I prefer this over the Edlebrock and am currently waiting for that glorious CARB sticker
Old 08-16-2017, 11:47 PM   #338
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Any plans to build the motor? What are your power goals?
No plans to build the motor.

Power goals: Fun, reliable, low compromise daily driver. Remove the torque dip and add a little bit on top of that. Make an already excellent car a better car without introducing a never-ending to-do and project list. I'm sure the advertised 260ish WHP will suit me fine. If I need a bit more a header, higher boost pulley, custom tune and exhaust are all still on the table.

The E85 is mostly there for 2 reasons: 1, the added cost on top of the supercharger, EcuTeck and tune was insignificant - so why not? 2, I have 2 E85 stations in my town - so why not? 3, I'm curious about it...
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 PM   #339
PhyrraM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
any news of this kit being CARB approved? I prefer this over the Edlebrock and am currently waiting for that glorious CARB sticker
Not CARB approved yet. Neil@The Racers Line is leaning on Harrop pretty hard - as it was promised to their North American vendors. I just bought the car ('17 PP), so I have 6 years before I need the E.O. number. I felt that was worth the risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #340
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
No plans to build the motor.

Power goals: Fun, reliable, low compromise daily driver. Remove the torque dip and add a little bit on top of that. Make an already excellent car a better car without introducing a never-ending to-do and project list. I'm sure the advertised 260ish WHP will suit me fine. If I need a bit more a header, higher boost pulley, custom tune and exhaust are all still on the table.

The E85 is mostly there for 2 reasons: 1, the added cost on top of the supercharger, EcuTeck and tune was insignificant - so why not? 2, I have 2 E85 stations in my town - so why not? 3, I'm curious about it...
Sounds like a good plan, and the first part is pretty much what I've done with mine.

However, I think you'll probably need a manifold to get 260whp. 240/250 max with fully stock exhaust.

Secondly, this thing will be an absolute rocket ship (compared to stock anyway!) on E85. You'll need to be thinking clutch, maybe injectors, probably manifold if you are going to regularly run e85. Not to mention brake/tyre upgrades. Not to mention at 320whp you are at a power level where con rods have snapped on this motor!

So the second part of your plan is not really in keeping with the stated goals. That said, I'd kill to have e85 available for mine.
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #341
PhyrraM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
Sounds like a good plan, and the first part is pretty much what I've done with mine.

However, I think you'll probably need a manifold to get 260whp. 240/250 max with fully stock exhaust.

Secondly, this thing will be an absolute rocket ship (compared to stock anyway!) on E85. You'll need to be thinking clutch, maybe injectors, probably manifold if you are going to regularly run e85. Not to mention brake/tyre upgrades. Not to mention at 320whp you are at a power level where con rods have snapped on this motor!

So the second part of your plan is not really in keeping with the stated goals. That said, I'd kill to have e85 available for mine.
I ordered the injectors and fuel pump with the FlexFuel kit. I may not install the FlexFuel stuff right away as I know it leads down the 'neverending mods' road. It just seemed better to have it all available at once.

Good to know about the header @ 240ish. I'll see how it feels, as this is my daily driver and I have mellowed a little with age. I have always done the used parts/junkyard engineering, piece at a time type of mods...with good success. So this time I simply wanted a turnkey "one source" - "know it will work" type of build.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #342
PhyrraM

Walking up to the front office to interview a candidate....and Blammo! Sitting on the dock.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-29-2017), Irace86.2.0 (08-29-2017), The Racers Line (09-01-2017), tony-brz (08-29-2017), Wise (08-29-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #343
PhyrraM

Received everything I need before the long weekend. If things go right Monday should be Funday. From here out, I should probably start a build log...

For those curious about this pic:
Pre-'17 OEM rear air box and snorkle (the Harrop doesn't work with my '17 manual trans version)
Pre-'17 injector covers (once again the Harrop is designed for early versions)
OEM manifold and throttle body gaskets (I didn't know the Harrop comes with a new throttle body gasket)
Spare throttle body to cut the water lines off of (I won't have to modify the original)
Spare fuel "bucket", to pre-install the new fuel pump and save time on install (and eventual un-install) day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
CxG (09-07-2017), Irace86.2.0 (09-01-2017), The Racers Line (09-01-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #344
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Received everything I need before the long weekend. If things go right Monday should be Funday. From here out, I should probably start a build log...

For those curious about this pic:
Pre-'17 OEM rear air box and snorkle (the Harrop doesn't work with my '17 manual trans version)
Pre-'17 injector covers (once again the Harrop is designed for early versions)
OEM manifold and throttle body gaskets (I didn't know the Harrop comes with a new throttle body gasket)
Spare throttle body to cut the water lines off of (I won't have to modify the original)
Spare fuel "bucket", to pre-install the new fuel pump and save time on install (and eventual un-install) day.
Make sure you grind down the manifold on the left side of the snout a bit to give clearance for the '17 alternator. If you don't, you'll regret it at install time.

johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
CxG (09-05-2017), nos145 (08-30-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #345
PhyrraM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Make sure you grind down the manifold on the left side of the snout a bit to give clearance for the '17 alternator. If you don't, you'll regret it at install time.

This should do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-02-2017), johan (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #346
johan

Quote:
This should do.

Yup, that little change will make your install infinitely easier than mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
CxG (09-05-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #347
PhyrraM

Install is done. Overall install was smooth sailing with minor issues. Car runs very well on the initial tune provided by Delicious and The Racers Line.

Notes:

The clearance I did for the 2017 alternator worked like a charm.

The intercooler will not bleed with the nose up. The car needs to be pointed down just a hair.

The provided lower intercooler radiator hose was a bit too short. I had to splice in a few inches.

The intercooler radiator bleed screw is very hard to access behind the bumper beam.

The brake booster vacuum hose setup provided with the Harrop kit is designed for a RHD car. LHD needs a bit of creativity and my OCD is not happy right now.

The bumper cover does not need to come off. I did the whole install on the ground with a floor jack under the front crossmember for the intercooler radiator. (yes, I had jack stand under the control arms too, but no weight on them)

The 2017 aluminum manifold fuel injector covers will not work as-is. The upper pin mounts need to be trimmed. I used 2013-2017 plastic manifold injector covers.

The strut bars do not need to be removed even though the Harrop provided instructions so to.

The MAP mounting screw Harrop provided is a tad too long and the MAP sensor is not held completely tight. Adding a washer of the appropriate size solves the problem.

The hard injector connectors recommended by Delicious and The Racers Line do not fit under the injector covers...at least when the injectors are 'clocked' as directed in the instructions. I used the Deatschwerks provided wire-type connectors without issues (for now). At the moment my OCD wont let me ditch the covers.

My second fuel bucket came with a broken retainer, so I did not install the upgraded fuel pump yet. From everything I can research, it won't be needed until I want to try E85 anyways. As soon as the new retainer comes in I'll install the pump with the whole assembly.

Pictures:

20170903_165550 by phyrram, on Flickr

20170903_143350 by phyrram, on Flickr

20170903_130457 by phyrram, on Flickr

20170903_130424 by phyrram, on Flickr

20170903_102942 by phyrram, on Flickr

20170903_095240 by phyrram, on Flickr
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
CxG (09-05-2017), Irace86.2.0 (09-03-2017), kuczynskika (09-10-2017), ojuniour (07-07-2021), PR138 (09-05-2017), Wise (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #348
johan

Quote:
Install is done. Overall install was smooth sailing with minor issues. Car runs very well on the initial tune provided by Delicious and The Racers Line.

Notes:

The clearance I did for the 2017 alternator worked like a charm.

The intercooler will not bleed with the nose up. The car needs to be pointed down just a hair.

The provided lower intercooler radiator hose was a bit too short. I had to splice in a few inches.

The intercooler radiator bleed screw is very hard to access behind the bumper beam.

The brake booster vacuum hose setup provided with the Harrop kit is designed for a RHD car. LHD needs a bit of creativity and my OCD is not happy right now.

The bumper cover does not need to come off. I did the whole install on the ground with a floor jack under the front crossmember for the intercooler radiator. (yes, I had jack stand under the control arms too, but no weight on them)

The 2017 aluminum manifold fuel injector covers will not work as-is. The upper pin mounts need to be trimmed. I used 2013-2017 plastic manifold injector covers.

The strut bars do not need to be removed even though the Harrop provided instructions so to.

The MAP mounting screw Harrop provided is a tad too long and the MAP sensor is not held completely tight. Adding a washer of the appropriate size solves the problem.

The hard injector connectors recommended by Delicious and The Racers Line do not fit under the injector covers...at least when the injectors are 'clocked' as directed in the instructions. I used the Deatschwerks provided wire-type connectors without issues (for now). At the moment my OCD wont let me ditch the covers.

My second fuel bucket came with a broken retainer, so I did not install the upgraded fuel pump yet. From everything I can research, it won't be needed until I want to try E85 anyways. As soon as the new retainer comes in I'll install the pump with the whole assembly.
Glad the alternator trick worked out.

Yes, I jacked my car as high as possible in the rear, completely ASS UP - to bleed -all- of the air out of the manifold side heat exchangers post install. I didn't get it good enough during install, you'll know if you can hear the pump gurgling when the engine is running. I took my time, filled them up, ran the pump with towels over the openings on the exchangers, then filled, rinse/repeat. I took my time until I felt it was perfect - both heat exchangers had coolant all the way up to the threads when I was done. Now my pump is silent aside from a subtle hum.

Weird that the hose wasn't long enough, seems that would be related to positioning of the pump, are you sure it was oriented correctly? Mine was plenty long, in fact I might have even had to trim it.

The intercooler radiator bleed screw is easy to access if you would have pulled the bumper cover

I too had an issue with the MAP mounting screw, I either cut mine or found another one from rummaging around in my garage. I can't remember exactly.
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
PhyrraM (09-07-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 03:41 AM   #349
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Any owners on here got plans for an engine build?
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #350
G-Unit86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
Any owners on here got plans for an engine build?
Thats my plan next year. Probably going with HKS Stroker kit, swaping out the Rods for forged Rods, and larger valves, with some light head work to allow for better flow at the top end.
G-Unit86 is offline   Reply With Quote