follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Things About Your FR-S/86 You've Grown Used To

I've had my FR-S for about 5 years now, and over that period of time I have, sort of, grown used to some of the quirks of my car. These include (not in any particular order):

• Crickets - I really don't hear them anymore, unless I concentrate or my passenger points them out. It's just part of the charm.

• 2nd gear clunk (manual) - it may be just a trait of a 6-speed transmission (my friend's S2000 had the same issue) but, when it's cold, going into 2nd gear used to be unnerving. Now I just expect it. I might try to change the fluid for Pentosin but it's not a priority.

• Rattles, shakes, squeaks, etc. - My car used to be dead quiet inside when driving, even over bumps. Now there's a few minor squeaks from the a-pillars, or rattles from the shifter, stuff like that. No biggie. Again, charm.

• Cheap interior / floor mats - My driver's side floor mat already has a hole worn thru it, from very little use. I mean, it's thin as cardboard so what should I expect? I hate buying a whole new set just to replace the one. Meh...

• Lack of power - most of my driving is commuting, and here in Los Angeles that translates to anywhere from 5-25 mph on average during "rush" hour. When I actually DO get to use my big pedal, it's just from red light to red light. Does my FR-S lack power? I would never notice myself.

• Back seats - my car has back seats? Oh yeah, that's where the teddy bears are. Huh. Weird. Never noticed.

• Appreciation - people still compliment my car, kids mostly. It's nice to hear now and then. I mean, it's still a great looking car...

Anything I missed?
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJones_RB For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-07-2019), Rampage (05-13-2019), Vic4uf (05-11-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
I've had my FR-S for about 5 years now, and over that period of time I have, sort of, grown used to some of the quirks of my car. These include (not in any particular order):

• Crickets - I really don't hear them anymore, unless I concentrate or my passenger points them out. It's just part of the charm.

• 2nd gear clunk (manual) - it may be just a trait of a 6-speed transmission (my friend's S2000 had the same issue) but, when it's cold, going into 2nd gear used to be unnerving. Now I just expect it. I might try to change the fluid for Pentosin but it's not a priority.

• Rattles, shakes, squeaks, etc. - My car used to be dead quiet inside when driving, even over bumps. Now there's a few minor squeaks from the a-pillars, or rattles from the shifter, stuff like that. No biggie. Again, charm.

• Cheap interior / floor mats - My driver's side floor mat already has a hole worn thru it, from very little use. I mean, it's thin as cardboard so what should I expect? I hate buying a whole new set just to replace the one. Meh...

• Lack of power - most of my driving is commuting, and here in Los Angeles that translates to anywhere from 5-25 mph on average during "rush" hour. When I actually DO get to use my big pedal, it's just from red light to red light. Does my FR-S lack power? I would never notice myself.

• Back seats - my car has back seats? Oh yeah, that's where the teddy bears are. Huh. Weird. Never noticed.

• Appreciation - people still compliment my car, kids mostly. It's nice to hear now and then. I mean, it's still a great looking car...

Anything I missed?
Haha that 2nd gear thing is normal... :phew:

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
How low it is stock. Every time I drive someone and they get out they're like god damn your car is low.

I'm not even lowered yet, have some TRD Springs on the way but they only drop 1''.

Though I am a bit surprised when I get on my bike and i'm higher up than in the car
MJones_RB (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
How low it is stock. Every time I drive someone and they get out they're like god damn your car is low.

I'm not even lowered yet, have some TRD Springs on the way but they only drop 1''.

Though I am a bit surprised when I get on my bike and i'm higher up than in the car
5" most cars are like 6 or 7

Old 05-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
TooSlow

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Gotten used to literally having to slam my trunk closed. Feels like I'm going to break it every time with the force needed to close the thing.
TooSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TooSlow For This Useful Post:
fminicooper (05-16-2019), Larphraulen (06-20-2019), MJones_RB (05-10-2019), p1l0t (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post

Maybe only on the 17+, but running 94 Petro Canada, which has ethanol in it, the crickets have actually stopped after some time. I mean ACTUALLY stopped. I was previously using Shell which is the only option for no ethanol in my area, decided to use 94 Petro to test it out, crickets slowly went away...... I've even tested it going back and forth, crickets come back after running shell then swapping to 94 Petro again, but only for a little while, maybe a week or so.

Fix one rattle, and another rattle will appear.

Kids LOVE my car.. Absolutely adore my car. Bunch of kids that play near my house always wave at me; had some kids watching me wash my car once as if a TV show. The even funnier thing is these kids don't discriminate cars based on their price, like adults would. Next door sits a F-150 Raptor, Mustang GT (with some mods), Lexus IS-300, Acura TLX(pretty sure A-spec) and a C7 Vette Sting Ray, all of which are brand new or very recent MY.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-10-2019), MJones_RB (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
  • The option to display what gear Im in for a manual transmission
  • Shift light is awesome
  • how easy and casual it is to spin some tires leaving a stop light
  • Also how casual it is to break the tail out in a turn
  • the driving position its easy to take for granted after a while
  • how easy it is to change the oil
  • pillar less doors
  • trunk space for this size sports car
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Audio (05-10-2019), Dadhawk (06-07-2019), Hot-Lava_Dave (05-13-2019), MJones_RB (05-10-2019), p1l0t (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
  • The option to display what gear Im in for a manual transmission
  • Shift light is awesome
  • how easy and casual it is to spin some tires leaving a stop light
  • Also how casual it is to break the tail out in a turn
  • the driving position its easy to take for granted after a while
  • how easy it is to change the oil
  • pillar less doors
  • trunk space for this size sports car
I always forget how to turn that gear display back on after the power gets disconnected.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I always forget how to turn that gear display back on after the power gets disconnected.

Turn ignition to auxiliary mode then you hit the odo button I think until you see Go-off or something like that. Toggle that to on.
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #10
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'll never get used to the lack of power, and I'm going to complain about it forever.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #11
p1l0t

Quote:
Turn ignition to auxiliary mode then you hit the odo button I think until you see Go-off or something like that. Toggle that to on.
I don't have an ignition lol. (Push start Hyperblue BRZ because I'm extra AF) I guess just don't press the clutch when I hit the on button?

Old 05-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
while my 2013 had a lot more quirks, most notably a rattle coming from the A pillar, the only thing I've had to learn to live with for my 2016 is the common 2nd gear shift rattle above 5 K RPMs though admittedly with the TRD exhaust I have to really listen for it, otherwise it usually gets drowned out. Besides that, think I've finally grown used to the seatbelt chime for when I have my one particular friend who doesn't buckle up right away... The other things like being in a low car, 2+2 problems, etc I had already experienced when I had a 240SX.

Quote:
I don't have an ignition lol. (Push start Hyperblue BRZ because I'm extra AF) I guess just don't press the clutch when I hit the on button?

yes
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #13
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:

Yeah not sure how you get into aux power mode with push start, probably just brake or clutch when pushing the button. Once your in aux mode should be easy. Also in case Im forgetting something about how do it is also buried somewhere in the manual. Sure is a handy feature all cars that allow you to manually switch gears should have.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #14
p1l0t

Quote:
Yeah not sure how you get into aux power mode with push start, probably just brake or clutch when pushing the button. Once your in aux mode should be easy. Also in case Im forgetting something about how do it is also buried somewhere in the manual. Sure is a handy feature all cars that allow you to manually switch gears should have.
I just wish it would be on even when you're not on the gas pedal.