follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
i8ur911

Drives: 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Verus rear diffuser and other aero "aids"

What are people running for aero?

I ask because I recently picked up a used Verus non aggressive rear diffuser and have been considering adding a few other pieces as well (Verus side splitters, a front lip and there JDM underbody panels).

What are you running and did you notice much of a difference?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
i8ur911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post

I ask because I recently picked up a used Verus non aggressive rear diffuser and have been considering adding a few other pieces as well (Verus side splitters, a front lip and there JDM underbody panels).

I have a DWL type3 diffuser and noticed no real difference. I didn't expect to, though. Just got it for rice purposes.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
I have a DWL type3 diffuser and noticed no real difference. I didn't expect to, though. Just got it for rice purposes.
Props for being honest about it lol.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-titties For This Useful Post:
kch (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Props for being honest about it lol.
at this point, I think it's produced more injuries than downforce
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
i8ur911

Garage
I installed my Verus diffuser last night. I'm interested to see if I notice a difference. My next event is 6/1-6/2.

I also have the Borla exhaust on my car which deletes the rear muffler. This essentially makes the rear bumper area a parachute, so hopefully this diffuser helps negate that.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
rixter145
Sleep Chomper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Helped my MPG for mine lol
rixter145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rixter145 For This Useful Post:
i8ur911 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I had a SARD style wing with no front lip and all that did was create sketchy light steering at speeds above 75 mph. So it's good to balance it. If you have a diffuser/wing, have a front lip/splitter. At first I thought maybe I didn't have enough rake in the front but I had the rear front and rear ride heights measured and they were exactly the same. Maybe I should drop the front a bit.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
i8ur911

Garage
Thinking about adding a front lip as well as some Verus canards in the future (this season).

Again, the goal is to make the car more "slippery" vs adding a bunch of power.

The Following User Says Thank You to i8ur911 For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (02-19-2020)
Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 PM   #9
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thinking about adding a front lip as well as some Verus canards in the future (this season).

Again, the goal is to make the car more "slippery" vs adding a bunch of power.

Dive planes/Canards carry a huge drag penalty. IMO they should only be used if you're really struggling to shift the aero balance back to the front, i.e. after installing a wing. Before then you should be looking at splitters and underbody accouterments (JDM aero panels/flat flooring, front and rear diffusers etc.). These will probably reduce drag or have a high enough L : D ratio to warrant attachment.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
i8ur911

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Dive planes/Canards carry a huge drag penalty. IMO they should only be used if you're really struggling to shift the aero balance back to the front, i.e. after installing a wing. Before then you should be looking at splitters and underbody accouterments (JDM aero panels/flat flooring, front and rear diffusers etc.). These will probably reduce drag or have a high enough L : D ratio to warrant attachment.
Thanks for the input.....much appreciated!

I'm new to the aero game so getting knowledge from others is great.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Just a complete internet stranger's 2 cents - running the verus front splitter and rear diffuser? Didn't feel a thing but placebo effect. Same with the driveway labs side splitters I had and sold etc. I have an intact (used) set of Velox (verus) underbody panels and rear suspension covers I'll sell you for cheap. Removing them didn't change a thing in the real world, on track. No difference in lap times, no loss of mph on any straight. The most palpable feeling was that of pain every time I ran into one with a knuckle getting to a rear toe link.

Staying on top of your tire temps / pressures, and setting up an alignment with an eye toward those tire temps is what will make a huge difference.

Jumping in whole hog with a big airfoil, big splitter (low enough to the deck that it scrapes on occasion - they are sacrificial if they are low enough to be doing any real good...which is why most are made of plywood in the real world airdam, ducting that is directed to hood venting - those made a palpable difference once I could get past the mental block of trying to trust them. That's the other thing about "aero solutions" - they're low on the car. Pushing faster (it's a speed to produce downforce game) means that you're expanding that limit and risking an off...tearing up that expensive low hanging fruit you just bolted on.

85% of drivers would benefit a hundred fold more tangible results from good instruction on track, seat time, and good tires once the crappy tires are maximized. I for one cant take my own advice and have to tinker though, so if you need to scratch that itch, go for it. Just be reaslistic. Unless you can string together 8-10 laps within a tenth of each other on your home track and realllllyyyyy are on that ragged edge of traction for most of it, the difference you feel in the bolt on aero will be the satisfaction of knowing your car looks killer. Thus most aero threads are full of picture and not AIM data

I'll go back to being a silent curmudgeon. Carry on
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joesurf79 For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (05-14-2019), FirstWinter (05-14-2019), ka-titties (05-14-2019), TommyW (05-21-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
By admitting its for ricer purposes its a huge step that said if your money

there will be some pro's to running it vs not, but its a liooks thing, the angle of the diffuser and the rest of the under body paneling is important and then the balance of the aero as stated.

Now I would also run one if it was STX legal, because i also did the muffler delete and the rear buymper is a chut.. its either that or cut the bumper off ( did that with my rx8) and its also not class legal so... im stuck

once i leave the socal area and am less into the SCCA autox, I will plan on running their non aggressive diffuser and a front underpanel with the hood vents and leave the rest of the car alone ( I have a ts wing)
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
i8ur911 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #13
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesurf79 View Post
Just a complete internet stranger's 2 cents - running the verus front splitter and rear diffuser? Didn't feel a thing but placebo effect. Same with the driveway labs side splitters I had and sold etc. I have an intact (used) set of Velox (verus) underbody panels and rear suspension covers I'll sell you for cheap. Removing them didn't change a thing in the real world, on track. No difference in lap times, no loss of mph on any straight. The most palpable feeling was that of pain every time I ran into one with a knuckle getting to a rear toe link.

Staying on top of your tire temps / pressures, and setting up an alignment with an eye toward those tire temps is what will make a huge difference.

Jumping in whole hog with a big airfoil, big splitter (low enough to the deck that it scrapes on occasion - they are sacrificial if they are low enough to be doing any real good...which is why most are made of plywood in the real world airdam, ducting that is directed to hood venting - those made a palpable difference once I could get past the mental block of trying to trust them. That's the other thing about "aero solutions" - they're low on the car. Pushing faster (it's a speed to produce downforce game) means that you're expanding that limit and risking an off...tearing up that expensive low hanging fruit you just bolted on.

85% of drivers would benefit a hundred fold more tangible results from good instruction on track, seat time, and good tires once the crappy tires are maximized. I for one cant take my own advice and have to tinker though, so if you need to scratch that itch, go for it. Just be reaslistic. Unless you can string together 8-10 laps within a tenth of each other on your home track and realllllyyyyy are on that ragged edge of traction for most of it, the difference you feel in the bolt on aero will be the satisfaction of knowing your car looks killer. Thus most aero threads are full of picture and not AIM data

Excellent input.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-titties For This Useful Post:
i8ur911 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #14
i8ur911

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesurf79 View Post

I love every bit of this post!!! Thank you!