follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
hosfordryan

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Berk Dual Tip Muffler Delete Drone

I just installed a Berk dual tip muffler delete on my BRZ. This is the first time I have ever messed with the exhaust on a car. I am happy with the deep sound it makes, however at around 2.3k and 4k rpm, it drones really badly.

Is there any way to fix this? I love the sound except for that drone! I bought it about a week ago and I can't get over it. I am thinking I will have to return it if I can't fix the drone.

Is there a way to get rid of the drone? If not, is it possible to return the muffler delete to Berk if it has been less that 30 days? Thanks.
hosfordryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You still have stock resonator?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
hosfordryan

Yes, I kept everything that I took off of the car. Sorry if this is a stupid question (I am a completely new to exhausts) but is the muffler and resonator the same thing? If not, where is the resonator?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
djliquidsteele

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If all you did was replace the axle back, which is what the Berk is, then there should be very little drone. I have a Mach V dual exit delete, 2.5" overpipe and catless front pipe and I love the sound. Is it loud? Hell yes when I get on it. But I have learned where to keep the RPM's to keep it calm. Right around 3k RPM seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Also, if you JUST put it on, give it some time to get coated with some exhaust soot. That will tone it down a little too.
djliquidsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
hosfordryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djliquidsteele View Post
Also, if you JUST put it on, give it some time to get coated with some exhaust soot. That will tone it down a little too.
About how long do you think it would take until it quiets down a little?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
djliquidsteele

Drives: Scion FR-S
Well it was pretty quick for me as I am down 1 cat. Give it a couple weeks. The tips will turn black inside then you'll know. It'll get more and more coated as time goes by.

If that still doesn't fit for you, I'd a get a front pipe with a helmholtz resonator. Nameless Performance makes one. I would advised if you do this, take your car to a GOOD muffler shop and have them make a 2.5" mid pip with a silencer. I say this because I originally put my muffler delete on first and it added a kick in the pants. When I put on the overpipe and front pipe, I feel like I lost some power. After watching a very informative video on exhaust design, I think it added a vacuum pulse that wasn't there before and jacked it all up.
djliquidsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
If all you did was replace the axle back, which is what the Berk is, then there should be very little drone. I have a Mach V dual exit delete, 2.5" overpipe and catless front pipe and I love the sound. Is it loud? Hell yes when I get on it. But I have learned where to keep the RPM's to keep it calm. Right around 3k RPM seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Got any science to back that up? If not, I'd reckon your ears are just getting used to it.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
rosol16
Not A Member

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosfordryan View Post
I just installed a Berk dual tip muffler delete on my BRZ. This is the first time I have ever messed with the exhaust on a car. I am happy with the deep sound it makes, however at around 2.3k and 4k rpm, it drones really badly.

Is there any way to fix this? I love the sound except for that drone! I bought it about a week ago and I can't get over it. I am thinking I will have to return it if I can't fix the drone.

Is there a way to get rid of the drone? If not, is it possible to return the muffler delete to Berk if it has been less that 30 days? Thanks.
I got my muffler delete about 3 weeks ago and love it the car sounds so much better and yes it get a little drone now and then but that's what happens when you delete the muffler. The biggest thing is find what rpms quite it down. I've found that above 4k its pretty quite so shift gears according. This is assuming you have the manual otherwise you will have to change where the auto trans shifted to. Just try downshifting to keep the RPMs up and the drone should go away. PS- This doesn't drone at all compared to my SRT4 which has a 3" catless from the turbo back so maybe this seems quite to me because of that
rosol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #9
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm going to add a tally to the "don't hold whatever rpm you hear your drone at" clan. I also recently installed the Berk muffler delete, single exit flavor, and have noticed drone in certain spots.

It even drives one of my buddies so crazy he hates riding with me 😂 so I usually just change my speed for the gear I'm in, or down shift, or turn up the radio.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 15limited For This Useful Post:
rosol16 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 PM   #10
lonborghini

Drives: '15 red FR-S SSC
I too have a Berk single exhaust muffler delete. I love it and have no complaints. I must admit that i don't even know what drone is so either i don't have it or i like it. Please advise.
lonborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #11
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
About how long do you think it would take until it quiets down a little?
Quote:
Well it was pretty quick for me as I am down 1 cat. Give it a couple weeks. The tips will turn black inside then you'll know. It'll get more and more coated as time goes by.

If that still doesn't fit for you, I'd a get a front pipe with a helmholtz resonator. Nameless Performance makes one. I would advised if you do this, take your car to a GOOD muffler shop and have them make a 2.5" mid pip with a silencer. I say this because I originally put my muffler delete on first and it added a kick in the pants. When I put on the overpipe and front pipe, I feel like I lost some power. After watching a very informative video on exhaust design, I think it added a vacuum pulse that wasn't there before and jacked it all up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Got any science to back that up? If not, I'd reckon your ears are just getting used to it.

I'm almost 100% sure it's sensory adaptation and you getting used to it, there is no muffler or muffler walls to speak of to get coated in carbon for any sort of sound difference to take place, it's literally just a pipe. If he really wants some less drone , he should take it to a shop and ask them to weld in a resonator in the pipe that runs between the two tips.

I also agree with getting the nameless front pipe with helmholtz resonator, and you might as well get the nameless mid pipe as well because then you'll essentially have a full header-back done, because the nameless front pipe replaces the overpipe as well
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 12-16-2015 at 10:25 AM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-16-2015), humfrz (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 02:07 AM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:

I reckon that's sort of like sitting on the firing line of a M-60 machine gun range range ....... after a few hours, they aren't nearly as loud as they were to start with ...... and it ain't because some carbon has built up in the barrels .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-16-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-16-2015), Hyper4mance2k (12-18-2015), Premium 615 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 02:14 AM   #13
humfrz

Quote:

You may get some ideas here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=923261

humfrz
Old 12-16-2015, 02:18 AM   #14
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonborghini View Post
I too have a Berk single exhaust muffler delete. I love it and have no complaints. I must admit that i don't even know what drone is so either i don't have it or i like it. Please advise.
"Drone" is the sound that is made by your car's exhaust, when it drowns out, so you can't hear, the bitching from your wife, about you driving too fast ......

humfrz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-16-2015), Hyper4mance2k (12-18-2015), Premium 615 (12-19-2015)

Tags
berk, brz, drone, muffler delete