follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gt86 engine change?

Scion FR-S Engineer Discusses Power Upgrades For Coupe
By Erick Ayapana
August 16, 2013

See Photo Gallery (8)
The FR-S won’t be getting any power upgrades anytime soon, but it’s a different story for the Toyota 86, the Scion’s twin sold in other markets. According to the coupe’s chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, the 86′s boxer engine will definitely be offered with more power for the model year 2015 refresh.

Tada discussed three possible power upgrades in an interview with The Sydney Morning Herald. The first option would be a turbocharger, which has already been widely speculated since the 2013 Scion FR-S, Toyota GT 86, and Subaru BRZ arrived in showrooms last year. Tada is also considering a boxer engine with more displacement, but didn’t divulge details on either option. However, a Toyota insider told The Sydney Morning Herald that the bigger engine could be a 2.5-liter boxer-four producing around 255-hp. The current 2.0-liter mill powering the 2+2 coupe is rated at 200 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque.

Toyota is also considering a hybrid system, which would likely employ a lightweight super capacitor system in lieu of a conventional (and heavy) battery pack. The automaker will likely wait until the next-generation 86 to introduce a new hybrid powertrain. And it’s possible that the U.S.-spec FR-S may not receive any of the aforementioned power upgrades at all. That said, aftermarket support for the FR-S is growing strong, with plenty of options for enthusiasts looking to add more power.

Toyota is looking even further into the future and has already started working on the current Toyota 86′s successor. The coupe’s impressive corning abilities will obviously remain, but Tada recently suggested that the next -gen model could ditch the boxer-four in favor of Toyota’s upcoming four-cylinder turbo engine that is expected to debut in a Lexus SUV.

What power upgrade would you like to see in a refresh of the current-generation Toyota 86, Scion FR-S, and Subaru BRZ? Take the poll and comment below.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
If Scion doesn't get the power upgrade, at least it will make everyone's choice easier to buy the Subaru... And it will officially become the most worthless and retarded car company of all time.
blanco (08-17-2013), Gaiakai (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I'd be down for mo' displacement, so long as it didn't get much heavier, which I doubt it would. 2.2? 2.3? Especially if it bolted right up to the current headers. I ain't trying to go full titanium engine back on my 2.0, just to make it all incompatible with an engine swap down the road. Luckily, I have made 0 intake/exhaust purchases, so I may put that off even longer now.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
If Scion doesn't get the power upgrade, at least it will make everyone's choice easier to buy the Subaru... And it will officially become the most worthless and retarded car company of all time.
What a well thought out response. Would read it again!
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSfan111 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (08-17-2013), Hawaiian (08-18-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSfan111 View Post
What a well thought out response. Would read it again!
I thought it was just me not understanding it, but @Bristecom, how does the Scion branded cars not getting a power boost affect anything? Are you implying that the Subarus will get an upgrade but the Scions won't?

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
Wes (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I thought it was just me not understanding it, but @Bristecom, how does the Scion branded cars not getting a power boost affect anything? Are you implying that the Subarus will get an upgrade but the Scions won't?
Well yes, that's what it sounds like - that this may be a level of car that will be offered with the 86 and BRZ line-ups next model year but not the Scion FR-S because they are so stuck on only offering one limited/cheap model in their line-up.

Sorry, it's just annoying when I come on here and read things like, "New power upgrades coming!" and then immediately after a Scion "engineer" announces they don't want the upgrades.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Quote:
Well yes, that's what it sounds like - that this may be a level of car that will be offered with the 86 and BRZ line-ups next model year but not the Scion...
That's not how I understood it.

"The FR-S won’t be getting any power upgrades anytime soon, but it’s a different story for the Toyota 86, the Scion’s twin sold in other markets."

I know it said this:

"And it’s possible that the U.S.-spec FR-S may not receive any of the aforementioned power upgrades at all."

but I feel like they just said "FR-S" because "FR-S/BRZ" is too wordy and "the twins" would be confusing to some readers. Outside of a silly "STi" trim, I don't think there will be such a serious upgrade to the BRZ as a new engine, but not to the FR-S. I think everyone will have just as easy/difficult time deciding between the two as they always have.

If the US gets a new engine, then both cars will get it. My feelings.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
Wes (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well yes, that's what it sounds like - that this may be a level of car that will be offered with the 86 and BRZ line-ups next model year but not the Scion FR-S because they are so stuck on only offering one limited/cheap model in their line-up.

Sorry, it's just annoying when I come on here and read things like, "New power upgrades coming!" and then immediately after a Scion "engineer" announces they don't want the upgrades.
Either they discontinue the FR-S for 2015, or it will get the engine upgrade... Toyota/subaru most likely will kill production of the FA20 we have now in favor of the new power plant... no sense in keeping both.
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #9
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That's not how I understood it.

"The FR-S won’t be getting any power upgrades anytime soon, but it’s a different story for the Toyota 86, the Scion’s twin sold in other markets."

I know it said this:

"And it’s possible that the U.S.-spec FR-S may not receive any of the aforementioned power upgrades at all."

but I feel like they just said "FR-S" because "FR-S/BRZ" is too wordy and "the twins" would be confusing to some readers. Outside of a silly "STi" trim, I don't think there will be such a serious upgrade to the BRZ as a new engine, but not to the FR-S. I think everyone will have just as easy/difficult time deciding between the two as they always have.

If the US gets a new engine, then both cars will get it. My feelings.
I hope so. If this new engine ends up replacing all the current 2.0L engines, then it shouldn't be a problem. But if it's going to be optional in other markets, Scion likely won't bite. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see as with every rumor. But I would love to have a bigger engine in the FR-S. I'm still hoping for the HID's too in the non Series 10 cars (which will likely never happen).
Old 08-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #10
Anthony
Weight Nazi

I'm wondering how much the new engine would cost if available in the US. If it ends up only being available in Japan, it'll probably be too expensive per benefit for me. And then there's the tranny...

Old 08-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #11
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well thats a bummer that the FR-S doesn't get any upgrades.. Would be nice to have more power with a warranty, but the aftermarket is strong with this car. I like the idea of bigger displacement, or even a turbo, but not so much a hybrid.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wes For This Useful Post:
Anthony (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I like the idea of bigger displacement, or even a turbo, but not so much a hybrid.
Hell naw. Big ol' heavy ass battery n' shit...

They could probably use the extra weight to engineer a perfect 50/50 balance, but I think I'll keep my marginally front heavy FR-S without all the extra weight and complexity of hybrid shenanigans.

I think hybrids are a bit half-assed anyway. The only reason human kind is still fucking with combustion engines is because of money. We have the technology and potential for technology to get away from this bronze age combustion nonsense, but we just... don't. A hybrid is just a step away from that (albeit in the right direction), but screw that. If you're going to go environmentally friendly, just go all the way with fully-electric and stop pu$$yfooting with all this "hybrid" fuckery.[/rant]

I got my car for handling. If it suddenly starts getting 1mpg tomorrow, well then... LOL! Will still drive it.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #13
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
DI 3.0L H6 mounted further back; push the firewall back a good 8" or more and get rid of the dumb parcel sh- err, rear seats. This car needs NA torque, not terb0.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Anthony (08-17-2013), Enraged21 (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #14
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
DI 3.0L H6 mounted further back; push the firewall back a good 8" or more and get rid of the dumb parcel sh- err, rear seats.
I will be pleasuring myself tonight to this thought.