follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #1065
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'll try to get a video with him soon

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #1066
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
I'll try to get a video with him soon

That would be great but it might be even better if one of the other testers does it closer to sea level. I'm not sure if there is a widely accepted correction factor for acceleration loss at altitude.

Interested in those DTCs. I'm thinking a simple voltage clamp might stop that CEL.

Edit: Just saw this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
There is no solution as of yet. Problem is the system is so far outside the stock load tables at low rpm it freaks out. We tried a map clamp but that didnt work. The maf reads so much air down there it doesn't know what to do without a tune which is to be expected
...or not. I may be wrong about the tune anyway. I'm not used to people being so willing to spend $750 for a meager 10whp gain and a little DBW enhancement but 86 owners don't seem to mind at all.

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 07-28-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #1067
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin2JZ View Post

The 17:1 AFR was with stock tune and NO SUPERCHARGER. as in it was getting 17:1 Bone Stock. (probably because of his higher altitude)

after adding the super charger with the stock tune it put it at 12:1
Sounds safe to me.
Impossible. Stock tune AFR will be roughly 12:1 in open loop and 14.7:1 in closed loop, without fail, every time, no exceptions, PERIOD.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #1068
FT_Monk

Drives: Over the hill WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
17:1 is possible when throttle lift off, don't know the AFR was measured with a wide band.
FT_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #1069
Dustin2JZ
StatusLow

Drives: 2013 10 Series FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Impossible. Stock tune AFR will be roughly 12:1 in open loop and 14.7:1 in closed loop, without fail, every time, no exceptions, PERIOD.
Just going by what Fenton posted.
Seems quite high to me too.

Fenton & Rob. We need clarity please
Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #1070
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_Monk View Post
17:1 is possible when throttle lift off, don't know the AFR was measured with a wide band.
That's on lift, not throttle. If that's on throttle then something is wrong.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #1071
fenton

Quote:
This was read from the tail pipe and not sure how accurate that is as I had a small exhaust leak.

The Afr can be read on the first page we did nothing to alter it just flashed the stock tune.

Visconti's tune ran 14s all though the torque dip.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #1072
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Also, something that is widely discussed by tuners is that leaning our car out doesn't produce any more power. Better results are coming from a bit richer with more timing.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #1073
fenton

Quote:
That would be great but it might be even better if one of the other testers does it closer to sea level. I'm not sure if there is a widely accepted correction factor for acceleration loss at altitude.

Interested in those DTCs. I'm thinking a simple voltage clamp might stop that CEL.

Edit: Just saw this...

...or not. I may be wrong about the tune anyway. I'm not used to people being so willing to spend $750 for a meager 10whp gain and a little DBW enhancement but 86 owners don't seem to mind at all.
Voltage clamp won't work to my knowledge. Maybe Rob has came up with something but the map clamp which bled off the boost did not work.

We are dealing with dramatically different airflow at that low rpm.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #1074
FT_Monk

Drives: Over the hill WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It better be tuned at the specific RPM when the charger is engaged, or risk melting the DI seal or other engine problems.
FT_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #1075
Dustin2JZ
StatusLow

Drives: 2013 10 Series FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wouldn't it be better to lower the toms of the super charger to reduce psi below a certain engine RPM
Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #1076
fenton

Quote:
We have our answer, thanks to Rob. Not a big deal but I think it best to drop the "it'll make much more power at sea level" nonsense. I have nothing vested in this e-charger one way or another but simply for the sake of factual accuracy I am compelled from time to time to attempt to correct certain exaggerations and falsehoods. I've seen quite a lot of speculation recently that this e-charger will produce 230+ whp in the near future, @MSL, with exhaust mods, etc. and I think it best for all concerned to squash such BS quickly. Exaggerated expectations like this will only lead to disappointment and this thing is impressive enough without fantasies of it magically matching the more expensive traditional offerings from Innovate, Vortech, AVO, etc.
The simple point is the power being made at 1.6 psi on a otherwise stock car.

Its not at all a stretch to say we might make another 20 hp or so with some supporting mods or a little bit more boost if it is possible. Just look at the vortech unit with a FA20club header, huge gains.

I could see you calling me out for BS if i was saying >250 with exhaust mods.

Just as an FYI when we hooked up an additional battery(2 very small ones) we made 210whp but Rob didnt want me to post that one as he isnt sure if the packaging will work as he likes.

All information about the kit is being shared freely here, i will wait for @Toma to answer the dyno correction questions.

I believe there are some guys at Sea Level that should be getting the kit soon and i hope to see them post up here as well
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #1077
Robftss

Drives: VW
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
1. AFRs on first post:
Highest is 16:1 not 17:1 on completely stock engine.
Fenton had a couple washers on the muffler flange as a noise maker, the O2 sniffer was reading off ~ +1 point because if this. Proper reading were attained on the 2nd dyno session with the washers removed.

2. Stock tune with boost activated was 11-12 everywhere so the MAF read additional flow and richend up very nicely and very safe.

3. Check engine light @ 3000 rpm tripped by ECU, Fenton had 2 codes relating to the transducer and a load calc. No intervention made by ECU , Ie timing or knock etc. , CEL off shortly after. Toma modified trip with Brz Edit.

4. Below 2000 rpm, rich and timing pull. An rpm window switch to deploy boost ~ 3000 rpm would ensure stock tune operation. A NOS window switch, which there are several available, can be installed as per the instruction of the manufacturer of the device the same as you would a NOS system.

5. Toma's tune provided 12-13 AFRs with BRzEdit.

6. Correction factors are for outright numbers only. The only important info from the dyno is the delta gains in % from stock to mod at various rpms. This is what the driver will 'feel'.

7. Comparing 1/4 mile times has to be done with the same car same place same time to be valid. 1/4 mile or any timed performance done a two different relative densities will be not comparable. A stock FRS will do 17 sec in Denver and 14.5 sec at SL (very approximate).
Robftss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robftss For This Useful Post:
autobrz (07-28-2013), DAEMANO (07-28-2013), Danh818 (07-28-2013), SloS14 (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #1078
Toma

Drives: Viper, Mustang, FD RX7, FFR GTM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Corrections? Tough call on that one. They were never intended for forced induction applications. Depends on what the supercharger does I guess.

I won't predict an outcome lol. Interested to see what happens.
Toma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive