follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #57
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn just installed the Alpine amp and I'm very impressed.

Ended ip using the metal shield of the oem amp and zapping the alpine to it. Made it so I could bolt it all down like oem and tuck all the wires away in a clean manner.

Love it thxs for this info and thxs for the diy

Last edited by Mr.Jay; 09-03-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Jay For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (04-06-2016)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #58
JPFr-s

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I did this install with the Alpine, but my components arrived damaged. Until I get the new ones I am just using the stock woofers. The problem I have is that there is a lot of static coming from the speakers now. The music is definitely louder and doesn't sound bad, but if I turn the amp gain near 1/2 way the static is really loud. I've got it right under 3/8ths right now. All the wiring looks correct, and I have the amp on "speaker", 2 channel and 60hz HPF. Changing the HPF settings or the channel setting to 4 doesn't make any difference. Any ideas? I was thinking it's just the factory woofers.. probably not.
JPFr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #59
Rabble

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I did the install with the alpine and the metra harness, easy as pie. I already replaced the stock doors with Kicker CVT652 shallow mount subwoofers and wow what a difference. I have it turned to like 1/4th power and it still shakes the doors.

If I was going to redo the entire job I would have gotten the 4 ohm version of the kickers, the alpine amp isn't stable at bridged 2 ohm load. Right now its running a non-bridged 45w @ 2 ohms when it could be running a bridged 90w @ 4 ohm. Not sure what difference it makes but FYI the stock door speakers are 2 ohm.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #60
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFr-s View Post
So I did this install with the Alpine, but my components arrived damaged. Until I get the new ones I am just using the stock woofers. The problem I have is that there is a lot of static coming from the speakers now. The music is definitely louder and doesn't sound bad, but if I turn the amp gain near 1/2 way the static is really loud. I've got it right under 3/8ths right now. All the wiring looks correct, and I have the amp on "speaker", 2 channel and 60hz HPF. Changing the HPF settings or the channel setting to 4 doesn't make any difference. Any ideas? I was thinking it's just the factory woofers.. probably not.
I'm glad this post is helping everyone.

On the subject of static. I also have some coming from the speakers that is noticeable when no music is playing but does not change with the HU volume. I think this is due to the use of the factory ground in the harness (creates a ground loop) vs. using a short ground to chassis near the amp.

In the near future (I have the parts, just need the time) I will be installing an Infinity Basslink sub/amp combo and checking into the ground static issue. I'll take more pics and post an install of the Basslink and update any findings/solution to the static. My goal is to end up with a very affordable and compact solution to make the stereo sound awesome with some more bass than what 6 1/2s can provide without compromising much of my trunk space or adding much weight. I had a Basslink in another car and while it doesn't pound like a pair of 12's, they do put out enough bass to satisfy most people.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
zdr93523 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zdr93523 For This Useful Post:
rixter145 (05-23-2021)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #61
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
(a wild lurker appears) Hello!
This thread helped me immensely, I'll give out thanks after I get a few posts under me (5 right?)

I also have a light static that rises with HU volume, and I think zdr93523 is right, It's likely due to a ground loop caused by the change in grounding gauge (causing a resistance change from the cable supplied by the amp.

My question, did either of you shorten the ground from the amp before attaching to the factory harness?
I did not on initial install, and wired it directly to the factory harness full length.
I did find the problem persisted but was diminished if I removed the HU inputs to the amp.

My thought is that I'm going to get a terminal tomorrow and run the amps ground to the ground that's used by the factory amp behind the driver side rear panels, or possibly behind the trunk liner, I need to poke around to find a nice spot that's not painted.

Any one elses input on how they did their grounding would be appreciated, (if I only need to shorten it that's cool.)
Otherwise, I'll let you know if it improves the situation.

oh, and atm I am also using the factory speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr93523 View Post
I'm glad this post is helping everyone.

On the subject of static. I also have some coming from the speakers that is noticeable when no music is playing but does not change with the HU volume. I think this is due to the use of the factory ground in the harness (creates a ground loop) vs. using a short ground to chassis near the amp.

In the near future (I have the parts, just need the time) I will be installing an Infinity Basslink sub/amp combo and checking into the ground static issue. I'll take more pics and post an install of the Basslink and update any findings/solution to the static. My goal is to end up with a very affordable and compact solution to make the stereo sound awesome with some more bass than what 6 1/2s can provide without compromising much of my trunk space or adding much weight. I had a Basslink in another car and while it doesn't pound like a pair of 12's, they do put out enough bass to satisfy most people.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #62
MidnightRunner

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

Any one elses input on how they did their grounding would be appreciated, (if I only need to shorten it that's cool.)

Actually I believe the "thanks option" comes about after ten posts. (Don't quote me on that).

Also I recently set up my alpine last weekend to compliment my jbl speakers and I get the same noise. I only get it when the volume hits near zero, but let's face it; nobody on this thread ran an aftermarket amp to have their volume at zero !

It can be a bit of a nuisance, so I will run a separate ground this weekend if or when I get time. I'll post my findings if anything changes.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #63
LazerBrZ

Drives: Silver Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
So I just finished an install today and this thread helped me a lot. However, I did not re-pin my harness to the oem amp. I used a line level converter bought for 20 bucks at my local car audio shop spliced straight into the harness. I only have one problem as of right now. I spliced into the B+ wire running to the oem amp for my remote wire. Now I have constant power, car on or off. Sub works great, I'm just worried about draining the battery, so for now I'm leaving the remote wire disconnected while not in the car. Anyone have suggestions, or am I going to have to run it up to the HU?

I'm running the stock HU for the record.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
LazerBrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #64
zdr93523

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
(a wild lurker appears) Hello!
This thread helped me immensely, I'll give out thanks after I get a few posts under me (5 right?)

I also have a light static that rises with HU volume, and I think zdr93523 is right, It's likely due to a ground loop caused by the change in grounding gauge (causing a resistance change from the cable supplied by the amp.

My question, did either of you shorten the ground from the amp before attaching to the factory harness?
I did not on initial install, and wired it directly to the factory harness full length.
I did find the problem persisted but was diminished if I removed the HU inputs to the amp.

My thought is that I'm going to get a terminal tomorrow and run the amps ground to the ground that's used by the factory amp behind the driver side rear panels, or possibly behind the trunk liner, I need to poke around to find a nice spot that's not painted.

I used the full harness length. I will probably disconnect the ground from the harness and ground the amp directly to one of the factory amp mounting studs. I would also be interested to see how others mounted their Alpine amp. I just used the zip ties to tighten it between the studs. It works fine, but isn't the prettiest solution.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
Old 12-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #65
zdr93523

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightRunner View Post
Actually I believe the "thanks option" comes about after ten posts. (Don't quote me on that).

Also I recently set up my alpine last weekend to compliment my jbl speakers and I get the same noise. I only get it when the volume hits near zero, but let's face it; nobody on this thread ran an aftermarket amp to have their volume at zero !

It can be a bit of a nuisance, so I will run a separate ground this weekend if or when I get time. I'll post my findings if anything changes.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
My static noise is the same. I can only hear it while I'm waiting for my bluetooth to connect (as in no music playing yet). My static also stays at the same volume no matter what the HU volume is set at. Chimera may very well be onto something about the ground wire size vs. the upgraded amp. Hopefully grounding to chassis will solve that with the much shorter wire length.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
Old 12-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #66
Chimera

I thought about doing this as well, if I did this i would have gone with a metra 1761 and wired the converter to that, that gives you the remote on output from factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazerBrZ View Post
So I just finished an install today and this thread helped me a lot. However, I did not re-pin my harness to the oem amp. I used a line level converter bought for 20 bucks at my local car audio shop spliced straight into the harness. I only have one problem as of right now. I spliced into the B+ wire running to the oem amp for my remote wire. Now I have constant power, car on or off. Sub works great, I'm just worried about draining the battery, so for now I'm leaving the remote wire disconnected while not in the car. Anyone have suggestions, or am I going to have to run it up to the HU?

I'm running the stock HU for the record.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #67
Chimera

My findings:

I reduced the ground wire to approx. 6in. and grounded one of the pins that held the factory amps shroud, same results. (I also tried to ground behind the driver side rear panel).
I did find that reducing the gain helped, I reduced the gain to about 1/8, and if I turn the HU up it sounds pretty alright.

I do not know (haven't compared) if the stock amp did any HPF, I set mine at 80hz.
I have a JL power max wedge that I have the LPF set to 125 hz, and things sound pretty alright.

I think Ill be trying out a set of the infinity kappa 62.11i's as suggested earlier in this thread, but I don't know when, ill report back with my findings on gain and noise for those at that time.

anyone else try with their gain down at about 1/8 (first white tick)
I figure the HU has 62 ticks no reason to try to get everything out of the first 20.

I think to get more out of this amp without the dead air noise might require a new HU, others thoughts on this?

**edit**
I did find that removing the ground all together eliminates the noise issue, do not run your setup this way however.

Last edited by Chimera; 12-08-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #68
zdr93523

Garage
I may turn my gain down just a tad once I get in there to install the Basslink. I have it set to about 1/2 way right now with the Kappa 62.11s. I also have Reference 3 1/2s in the dash with the factory tweeter bypassed. My EQ tapers the high frequencies to almost zero to balance the extra tweeter since both speakers are 2-way. I think I'll be able to balance this out once the sub is in.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
Old 12-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #69
NYCsubaruBRZ
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ & 99' Ford Explorer
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
how do i get rca out from my stock headunit?
NYCsubaruBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #70
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
You don't have it in the BRZ. You'll need something like an LC2 to do that.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote