follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
YAWN! How can they ruin what was a great sports sedan? I loved my IS200 (UK Spec) and was not really impressed with the refresh IS250 (Or the ISF)... Now it looks like they've completely ruined yet another great car from Toyota.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
BMWs are better drivers cars.. Upcoming 2-series. Exiting. New 3-cylider engines, exiting.
I only know of older people who are into Lexus, and its not because of the driving sensation in terms of balance, handling, driver feedback... etc...

I don't want to sound like a troll, but why would I desire a Lexus IS?
I consider Lexus to be the Japanese Mercedes. Only more reliable and more focus on hybrids.. They are generally pretty boring from my point of view..
Please help me understand.
because the GS350 drives better than the 5 series. Akio Toyoda has a mission to revitalize the Lexus brand (along with Toyota) to have more passion. the first real car out of this is the GS and it has already won comparos and gained praise from the auto press (who are usually pro-german)...

the IS F Sport is supposed to be very aggressive like the LF-CC concept. Mr Toyoda aint playin no games...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
BMWs are better drivers cars.. Upcoming 2-series. Exiting. New 3-cylider engines, exiting.
I only know of older people who are into Lexus, and its not because of the driving sensation in terms of balance, handling, driver feedback... etc...

I don't want to sound like a troll, but why would I desire a Lexus IS?
I consider Lexus to be the Japanese Mercedes. Only more reliable and more focus on hybrids.. They are generally pretty boring from my point of view..
Please help me understand.
Well, I believe that the new IS will change your mind since the GS already bested 5 series in many reviews. Even though the new one will get carried over engine (proven to be an excellent and reliable engine), it will get refined suspension, refined chassis, fast shifting 8 speed (IS350), and better seating position than any BMW. And knowing it's a Lexus, IS will get a better interior than 3 series (Lexus LF-CC interior as a reference).

Like madfast said, IS F sport will be heavily influenced by LF-CC. Also expect the new coupe based on the new IS (probably not IS coupe).
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
DIG1992

Drives: 2002 Acura TL
New and offical pics of the IS the rest of them is here they are just blurry when you largen them for some reason

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2013/01...-new-2014.html
Attached Images

DIG1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIG1992 For This Useful Post:
RRnold (01-09-2013), Sigh-on-Rice (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't like the new front grille theme by Lexus. Makes every car look like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on it's way down.

It's so ugly it makes me forgive Mazda for all the years they stuck a smiley face on everything.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
They took a perfectly nice design and held it to a flame. Looks distorted and melted and HORRIBLE.
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Oh nos! @ front grille.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-lexus-is-f-sport/
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
whitejdm

Drives: BRZ prem.
Don't like the outside, but LOVE the LFA inspired interior!
whitejdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #23
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I knew they were going to go with the Predator grille.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #24
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
First Official Photos of All-New 2014 Lexus IS Sedan in F Sport Guise

Click here to view more photos

Quote:
We don't know when exactly Lexus was planning to share official photos of its hotly anticipated IS, but today, we discovered a full set of images of the executive compact sedan, less than a week before the car's public debut at the Detroit auto show.

These images [now in higher-resolution] afford us our first unobstructed view of the Japanese carmaker's third attempt to rival the BMW 3-Series, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and the Audi A4.

The model seen here is an F Sport variant (not to be confused with the high-performance IS F), which means it features an aerodynamic kit, taller alloy wheels, a bespoke finish for the grille, a lowered suspension and tuned chassis along with a sportier trimmed interior, while keeping the same powerplant(s) as the regular IS.

Besides the styling that resembles the LF-CC coupe concept, we know that the new IS rides on a longer wheelbase offering improved interior space and that in North America, it will launch with a choice of two V6 units, a 2.5-liter and a stronger 3.5-liter, with a four-cylinder hybrid powerplant to be added in the near future.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2013/01...-new-2014.html
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

2014 Lexus IS Officially Revealed in 22 High-Res Photos

Click here to view all 22 press photos

Quote:
Well, that didn't take long, did it? Only hours after a Chinese website spilled the beans on the new generation of the Lexus IS, the Japanese brand dropped a full set of photos revealing the executive compact saloon's sharper exterior and interior styling, while keeping most other details under wraps until its world premiere at the Detroit auto show next week.

We've already established that the new 2014 IS's exterior lines are very close to those of the LF-CC coupe concept, which was only to be expected since the latter will form the base for a two-door version of the series.

The same can be said about the interior design that brings more character to the new IS with inspiration from the LFA supercar, with Lexus adding that it has used higher quality cabin materials, trims and finishes throughout.

New tech features include a Lexus-first electrostatic switches that are said to need "just a finger touch" to adjust the air conditioning temperature. We're also told that the driving position is sportier thanks to the lower seat hip point and the angle of the new steering wheel, with the latter offering an increased reach adjustment.

Toyota's premium division states the new IS’s increased width and longer wheelbase along with the thinner front seat design allow for significantly more comfort for rear seat passengers, adding that the luggage capacity has also been improved over the outgoing model.

The car pictured here is the F Sport trim variant recognized by the bespoke front grille treatment and bumper designs, bigger wheels, sport seat, caboin trims and steering wheel, along with a driver’s meter with a moving center ring.

There's no mention of the available powertrains in the initial statement, but we do know that in North America, the new 2014 IS will launch with 2.5-liter and 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engines coupled to 8-speed automatics, with a four-cylinder hybrid model to be presented at a later date.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2013/01...led-in-22.html
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

2014 Lexus IS Revealed: Exclusive Photos and Video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt8k327SD3A"]2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport First Look - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
With full info coming next week at the Detroit Auto Show, Lexus has announced preliminary details on the redesigned IS luxury sports sedan. AutoGuide has also been given a special sneak-peek at the car before its official reveal.

DESIGN BLOOD-LINE

Like other models in the Lexus lineup, the 2014 IS has adopted the brand’s signature design element, its so-called “spindle grille.” Shown here on the IS350 F-Sport model, the grille is a single-frame, hour glass-shaped flourish, uninterrupted by a bumper line. Already a prominent part of the GS and LS sedans, it’s now migrating down to the smaller IS, and looks nearly identical to that found on the LF-CC Concept.

Aside from that unique – and very prominent grille – the car’s face also features unusual headlamp assemblies that are very sculptural; they’re almost 3-D in the way they’ve been contoured and shaped. Another stand-out part of the design are the separate L-shaped LED daytime-running lamps.

The front fenders are powerfully flared, making the car seem wider than it is. The character lines on top of these panels carry along the bodyside, terminating in the decklid at the back.

There are other interesting design elements as well, especially the twisting shape of the rocker panels. The high lines starting in these moldings sweep up near the rear of the car, neatly meeting up with the pointed taillamps.

SUPERIOR INTERIOR

Opening a door and sliding inside, the cabin looks similar to other members of the Lexus family, including the recently refreshed LS flagship and the sporty GS. There’s a strong horizontal component to the design and a sweeping center console, which is home to the gear shifter and other controls.

Buyers can opt for an F Sport package, which is available across the entire IS lineup. It’s a suite of appearance and functional upgrades. Some of those enhancements include aluminum pedals and scuff plates as well as a steering wheel and instrument cluster inspired by the LFA supercar… not a bad vehicle to steal from. “Rioja Red” is one of three interior color schemes offered on F Sport models.

As you’d expect from a Lexus, quality abounds. No matter where your hand lands or eye glances the materials are top-shelf.

TECHNICALITIES

The car will initially be offered in three flavors. The IS 250 gets buyers in the door, while the IS 350 is the higher-performance model. A hybrid in the form of the IS 300h will be offered in Europe, Japan and other select markets, though it’s hard to imagine Lexus won’t sell it in the United States at some point. After all, Toyota is the king of hybrids.

At this time Lexus has not shared output or fuel economy figures for these different models. Don’t bet on big performance upgrades, though we can report that the IS350 F-Sport will gain an 8-speed automatic transmission.

Speaking of numbers, the car features a longer wheelbase, which adds a significant amount space to both the back seat and trunk. Lexus is claiming best-in-class knee room and easier access to the rear chairs in the 2014 IS. Additionally, 60/40 split-folding seat-backs make for an even more spacious luggage compartment.

Putting it in motion, Lexus promises the redesigned IS will really be a driver’s car. The chief engineer says dynamics and performance were top priorities when developing it.

AutoGuide Editor-in-Chief Colum Wood had an opportunity to put a prototype version through its paces early last month, and he reports the car feels smoother and more planted than today’s model.

STAY TUNED

Lexus has not shared many details about the new IS sports sedan. It’s likely holding off until next week when it officially unveils the car in Detroit. Tuesday, January 15th should be the magic day when everything is revealed. Visit AutoGuide.com for every detail about the 2014 Lexus IS, plus up-to-the-minute coverage of the 2013 North American International Auto Show.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...and-video.html
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
RRnold (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Speaking of numbers, the car features a longer wheelbase, which adds a significant amount space to both the back seat and trunk. Lexus is claiming best-in-class knee room and easier access to the rear chairs in the 2014 IS.
This was one of my primary complaints about the outgoing IS. Laughably small rear legroom (I know, ironic coming from an FR-S owner). Still, good to see it being addressed given that the IS is supposed to be a sedan.

Quote:
Putting it in motion, Lexus promises the redesigned IS will really be a driver’s car. The chief engineer says dynamics and performance were top priorities when developing it.
I'm skeptical about this claim in light of the driving dynamics of Toyota/Lexus's other sports sedans. We'll see though. Hopefully they'll put chassis development into the hands of the engineer who oversaw the 86.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
Minus2

Drives: 04 G35, 07 G35, 2012 GTI
I think it looks great. I really like the new Lexus corporate front end. Very aggressive IMO. Kinda wish they change the head light. That strip right under the headlight should be part of the headlight. My first car was a Lexus and it left me a great impression. IMO, it looks like the current gen with a minor tweak and different body kit. It also looks like a scaled-down GS. Interior is great also.
Minus2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
is350, isf