follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Jenson May

Drives: Evo
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlQHan View Post
Wouldn't you want to use the lower rubber mount as that's how it will act on the car? Just asking for clarity.
The ideal way to get raw data out of a damper on the dyno is to use solid mounts. Using rubber bushings will skew data.

One can obviously mount a shock on the dyno with rubber fittings/bushings, you just have to take that variable into account and when analyzing the data.
Jenson May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
EarlQHan

Drives: Subarus
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson May View Post
The ideal way to get raw data out of a damper on the dyno is to use solid mounts. Using rubber bushings will skew data.

One can obviously mount a shock on the dyno with rubber fittings/bushings, you just have to take that variable into account and when analyzing the data.
Understood. Although it adds another variable to the graph, I figured since it more accurately reflects real world conditions with the bushings on that it would be preferred. I understand why you test it with your method though since it's more about showing the damper. Thanks.
EarlQHan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
thinkdigit

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The rubber bushing has nothing to do with this plot. If you look at the jig used on the dyno, the base plate is pushing against the lower bracket. There's nothing connected to the rubber bushing of the lower bracket.
thinkdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Jenson May

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkdigit View Post
The rubber bushing has nothing to do with this plot. If you look at the jig used on the dyno, the base plate is pushing against the lower bracket. There's nothing connected to the rubber bushing of the lower bracket.
If that is the case then something was loose (which is common)
That graph is not normal, I dyno these for a living so I know what the graphs are supposed to look like
Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
thinkdigit

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
If that is the case then something was loose (which is common)
That graph is not normal, I dyno these for a living so I know what the graphs are supposed to look like
Pretty sure JRZ knows how to dyno shocks.
thinkdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
Jenson May

I am pretty confident that they do as well. However mistakes can happen.
Also each of the 500 series shocks are serial #'d. So if I can get those serial #'s I will have the dynos on file and post them up for comparison.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I forgot to address cross talk. When looking at the Novak racing dyno plot, you notice that the lines are extremely jagged. As previously stated the reason why this particular graph looks like this is because the shock was not mounted to the dyno in an ideal fashion.

If you look at the football graph I posted (which is very clear) you can see that there is cross talk but its very minimal. For a entry level coilover kit, I am pretty confident in saying that all brands will have the same level of cross talk or higher.

If you look at a JRZ, Moton or Penske sweep graph you will notice even less cross talk. These companies accomplish this by very high end machining tolerances of the their jetting assembly. This is one of the main aspects that separate a $1000-3000 shock from a $4000-$14000 set of coilovers.

Another thing to look at is damping adjustment accuracy.
In the realm of ALMS and professional racing teams, it is crucial to have a very linear damper force adjuster. You want each adjustment force to be equal to the next. On more entry level setups, the adjustment force is more progressive. This is not ideal for a professional race team, however its absolutely fine for your weekend and grassroots racers.
why do you guys offer adjustment at all on entry level coilovers? it just seems to me that the money could be spent better or kept in my pocket. the only reasons i can think of doing that (not just you guys but the whole entry level market) would be to have something fancy to talk about in a sales pitch or to tune out the differences from shock to shock to balance out the set.

im not trying to offend anyone, im just curious as to what something like this has to offer over something like a rebuilt bilstein with gc sleeves.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Jenson May

Awesome info. Thank you very much for sharing and being so open.

How do these damper force ratings relate to ideal spring rates for the damper? Is a critically damped system ideal? At what part of the curve would you measure the damper to compare to the spring, the slow speed or the high speed?

I'm also curious about @fatoni's question.

And, could you post plots for the FRS coilovers?

Last edited by Calum; 04-25-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
fooddude (03-10-2014)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
Jenson May

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
why do you guys offer adjustment at all on entry level coilovers? it just seems to me that the money could be spent better or kept in my pocket. the only reasons i can think of doing that (not just you guys but the whole entry level market) would be to have something fancy to talk about in a sales pitch or to tune out the differences from shock to shock to balance out the set.

im not trying to offend anyone, im just curious as to what something like this has to offer over something like a rebuilt bilstein with gc sleeves.
Excellent question, having rebound adjustment does not hurt things. On Fortune 500 shocks you have 100-150lbs of rebound adjustment range. This helps with suspension tuning to an extent.

In all honesty, marketing also plays a pretty big role in how "adjustable" a suspension is. This is where things start to get a little ridiculous in my opinion. You would be surprised at how many people purchase coilovers in the entry level market based on 1. Color of the shocks and 2. Supposed "adjust-ability" of the shocks.

I put adjust-ability in quotes because there is a pretty large chunk of entry level coilovers that adjust absolutely nothing. The adjustment knob is there for looks, or to make you believe that you are adjusting something when you are really not changing a thing.

Then there is the "how many adjustment clicks you have marketing". The higher the amount of clicks the better. So something that has 40 clicks of adjustment is better than something that has 10 clicks. This obviously is absolutely ridiculous.

If it were up to me, Fortune's would be 10-click adjustable. However, I am not involved with the marketing aspect of things and understand that since the entry level coilovers are the largest segment of the coilover market, so you have to fulfill what most people are looking for.

Last edited by Jenson May; 04-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Jenson May For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-27-2013), B L U E S L A T E (04-26-2013), Calum (04-25-2013), Captain Snooze (04-25-2013), CSG Mike (04-25-2013), D1cker (04-26-2013), Dave-ROR (04-26-2013), FT-86 SpeedFactory (04-25-2013), hapa_kcm (04-26-2013), jonnyozero3 (04-25-2013), Laika (04-25-2013), Mitch (04-25-2013), Mnoland9 (04-26-2013), pmccut (03-10-2014), RYU (10-27-2014), SkullWorks (04-25-2013), SubieNate (04-25-2013), WillRacer1jz (04-25-2013), wparsons (04-25-2013), xbreed (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
In all honesty, marketing also plays a pretty big role in how "adjustable" a suspension is. This is where things start to get a little ridiculous in my opinion. You would be surprised at how many people purchase coilovers in the entry level market based on 1. Color of the shocks and 2. Supposed "adjust-ability" of the shocks.

I put adjust-ability in quotes because there is a pretty large chunk of entry level coilovers that adjust absolutely nothing. The adjustment knob is there for looks, or to make you believe that you are adjusting something when you are really not changing a thing.

Then there is the "how many adjustment clicks you have marketing". The higher the amount of clicks the better. So something that has 40 clicks of adjustment is better then something that has 10 clicks. This obviously is absolutely ridiculous.

If it were up to me, Fortune's would be 10 click adjustable. However I am not involved with the marketing aspect of things, and understand that since the entry level coilover market is the largest segment of the coilover market. So you have to fulfill what most people are looking for.
This is one of the best posts I've seen on this board. Props sir.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-27-2013), D1cker (04-26-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
Jenson May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
@Jenson May

Awesome info. Thank you very much for sharing and being so open.

How do these damper force ratings relate to ideal spring rates for the damper? Is a critically damped system ideal? At what part of the curve would you measure the damper to compare to the spring, the slow speed or the high speed?

I'm also curious about @fatoni's question.

And, could you post plots for the FRS coilovers?
My pleasure!

Critical damping is very important. For a particular application (spring rate dependent) we like to set critical damping roughly at the middle of the damping range (actually a bit closer at the soft end of the range - i.e. jet open) This then allows the user to over or under damp the shock absorber.

Both the low and high speed force of the shock are extremely important and are taken into consideration. I would be more than happy to post some plots up of the FRS dampers. I probably can make a video of it as well.

Let me try and see if I can get to it mid next week as we have been extremely busy these past few months.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jenson May For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #26
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
My pleasure!

Critical damping is very important. For a particular application (spring rate dependent) we like to set critical damping roughly at the middle of the damping range (actually a bit closer at the soft end of the range - i.e. jet open) This then allows the user to over or under damped the shock absorber.

Both the low and high speed force of the shock are extremely important and taken into consideration. I would be more then happy to post some plots up of the FRS dampers. I probably can make a video of it as well.

Let me try and see if I can get to it mid next week as we have been extremely busy these past few months.
I look forward it!!
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
Jenson May

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
This is one of the best posts I've seen on this board. Props sir.
Hahah thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
edited. This is a pretty good thread.

- andy

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 02-13-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
illmatic (04-28-2013), SubieNate (04-26-2013)