follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
Merc

Drives: Subaru brz 2013 LS1 swap
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Saw something about it being a venturi set up. I'm wondering if the fuel was so old it somehow clogged it. I'm probably going to have to pop it open and take a look. Just figured I'd check see if anyone had dealt with something similar. Thanks
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #16
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Saw something about it being a venturi set up. I'm wondering if the fuel was so old it somehow clogged it. I'm probably going to have to pop it open and take a look. Just figured I'd check see if anyone had dealt with something similar. Thanks
The system is constantly pulling fuel from the passenger side (that side does not have a pump) into the driver's side where there is a pump. I don't know the electrical details of the non-pump side. It's possible there are other electronics involved in the passenger side in order to pull fuel from that side, so it's possible you only drained the fuel that was already on the fuel pump side.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #17
Merc

Update went back next day and tested again and was able to pump a few more gallons (only had two 5 gallon containers). The first night approximately 7 gallons till the pump audibly and visually was running almost dry with little surges. Second night about 2-3 gallons pumped out no issue. It seems the system may be slow to pull from the other side because of obstruction or simply how slowly it pulls naturally. Fuel was 91 over a year old as a reference. I'm hoping it was something that worked itself out by use. Going to drain last couple gallons tonight maybe add in some stabilizer or cleaner. I suppose I could experiment and add it back in and test see if I have the same issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merc For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #18
Merc

Update to my experiment which probably won't really help anybody ever besides neurotic people like myself. After refilling and testing again I got the same results as the first time. I was able to pump approximately 7 gallons fairly quickly and then the pump started to run a little dry with surges of fuel. Conclusion the venturi system is too slow if you need to pump fuel into your engine at a rate of say 2 gallons per minute but should be ok below that.
Disclaimer this is in no way an actual scientific experiment and a variance of 2-3 beers should be added to all calculations, or maybe subtracted.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #19
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Update to my experiment which probably won't really help anybody ever besides neurotic people like myself. After refilling and testing again I got the same results as the first time. I was able to pump approximately 7 gallons fairly quickly and then the pump started to run a little dry with surges of fuel. Conclusion the venturi system is too slow if you need to pump fuel into your engine at a rate of say 2 gallons per minute but should be ok below that.
Disclaimer this is in no way an actual scientific experiment and a variance of 2-3 beers should be added to all calculations, or maybe subtracted.
2 gallons a minute seems pretty steep. We can probably manage to stay below that
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:44 AM   #20
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Just for info the venturi works off the fuel returning to the tank or in our case the fuel that the regulator bypasses to hold 58lbs. So if you unhook the fuel line and pump fuel in a jug the regulator isn't bypassing any fuel so the venturi will not work. The only transferring that is happening is from gravity siphon.

I'm trying to figure out a cheap 485 install. I thought about getting a small pump and putting in the passenger side to pump to the factory pump basket. This would bypass the veturi jet pump and definitely fill up the factory basket.

Also part of the bypassed fuel is squirted in where the versus door goes I would assume to help hold the fuel in the basket

Funny thing if your running out of fuel going around the track you could use a higher flow pump to keep more fuel in the factory basket. Kind of backwards of normal thinking.

Last edited by solidsnake11; 06-26-2020 at 01:09 AM.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:27 AM   #21
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
Just for info the venturi works off the fuel returning to the tank or in our case the fuel that the regulator bypasses to hold 58lbs. So if you unhook the fuel line and pump fuel in a jug the regulator isn't bypassing any fuel so the venturi will not work. The only transferring that is happening is from gravity siphon.

I'm trying to figure out a cheap 485 install. I thought about getting a small pump and putting in the passenger side to pump to the factory pump basket. This would bypass the veturi jet pump and definitely fill up the factory basket.

Also part of the bypassed fuel is squirted in where the versus door goes I would assume to help hold the fuel in the basket

Funny thing if your running out of fuel going around the track you could use a higher flow pump to keep more fuel in the factory basket. Kind of backwards of normal thinking.
A very small pump would keep the basket full because it doesn't have to maintain any pressure

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
solidsnake11 (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #22
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Only problem the pump would have to be able to run dry for an extended time.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #23
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
Only problem the pump would have to be able to run dry for an extended time.
Does such a thing exist?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
solidsnake11 (06-29-2020)