follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #57
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by primalT View Post
I guess this is the best topic to post this in?

I have a 2014 BRZ. I didn't realize when buying it that the glove box didn't lock, so I currently have my handgun in a lockbox under the drive seat that is attached to the bottom of the seat frame by a cable, so it can't be stolen unless bolt-cutters are used.

The main issue is that it is 100% inaccessible which defeats the purpose of having it in there.

Missouri law requires it must be pretty well concealed if someone were to look inside my car through the windows.

Has anyone else found a solution to this?

My best thought was getting some sort of holster that hangs down from the steering wheel column, but I've only found these on google:

I need it more hidden than that, like FULLY under the steering column so I can't see it, but I could reach underneath and grab it at a moments notice.
Safest place for your gun (in order for it not to be stolen) is on your person. If you can't get to your gun in an emergency when sitting down, then carry a backup 9mm mouse gun on the ankle. Sounds tedious, but it's about as actually tedious as putting your watch on every morning.

I drive with my gun on my hip, and on my ankle. I don't have to worry about a hiding spot. If I MUST disarm (such as at a courthouse or some other place with good security and a "no carrying" sign), I'll put the guns in the glove compartment and lock it. Criminals won't know there's a gun they can try and steal if it's not obvious that there's one being hidden in the car. Another place for stashing a gun in the car when you can't carry it is in a locked box in the trunk. Again, they don't know your vehicle is the one they want to break into if they can't see something being hidden.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
codesplice (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #58
Zed

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited GBS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
I'll put the guns in the glove compartment and lock it.
Agree with the rest of your post, but I believe our car's glove compartment does not lock. Locked box in trunk also loses the proximity access from driver seat but otherwise a fine option for CC disarm
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #59
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Agree with the rest of your post, but I believe our car's glove compartment does not lock. Locked box in trunk also loses the proximity access from driver seat but otherwise a fine option for CC disarm
True, but I'm talking about when you have to be unarmed and thus leave the gun in the car. Not as an access location for normal carry in the car. If you're carrying in the car then the holsters which strap underneath the steering column, or to the side of the seat are probably the best location, but THE best location for the gun is ON you.

If you're being carjacked, a good way to get the gun out is tell the bad guy you're getting your wallet (act suitably scared), but instead of drawing your wallet, draw your gun and point shoot. Takes practice (if you're practicing, use an airsoft gun in your back yard with a spare car seat or something), but it's probably your best chance to survive IF it should happen and you are not able to simply quickly drive away (driving away is your absolute BEST option if available if carjacked... remember, rule 1 of a gun fight is "if you know if you go to a certain place at a certain time that you'll be in a gun fight, then don't be there if possible").

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
Reaper (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #60
uncivilised

Drives: 86 GT
'murica

that is all
uncivilised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uncivilised For This Useful Post:
fuddbutter (04-23-2014), Pizzman (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #61
DocCola
Something funny

Drives: 2011 WRX hatch DGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzman View Post
If you need a gun in your car, you need more help than a gun can give you.
You, sir, are an idiot. I had an attempted car jacking happen to me 2 years ago in damn near broad daylight. When the would be thieves "boxed" in my car I made like I was going to get out and as I stood up I drew my gun from it's holster on my hip. The sight of the gun was enough to send those pussies running and saved my car as well as possibly my life.

I'm an American and I'm a veteran. I was born into the right to defend myself and I fought for that right as well. Don't tell me I'm crazy because I choose to carry a gun to defend myself and my loved ones from the scum in this country.

"I'd rather have it an not need it than need it and not have it"

boonFRS (04-23-2014), Boxer486 (04-23-2014), Chase86 (04-24-2014), codesplice (04-24-2014), Creole (04-24-2014), Fett4Real (04-23-2014), J. O'Grimm (04-23-2014), Kuri (04-24-2014), Mister (04-24-2014), Mooseknuckle44 (04-23-2014), pche (04-24-2014), plucas (04-23-2014), Poodles (04-24-2014), Proof (04-23-2014), Reaper (04-23-2014), rice_classic (05-04-2014), SirBrass (04-24-2014), SkAsphalt (04-25-2014), soundman98 (04-23-2014), speedrye (04-23-2014), t.chk (04-28-2014), Tainen (04-30-2014), Turbowned (04-25-2014), Wander (05-07-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #62
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Have a friend who had a similar thing happen except he fired shots through his door at the would be car theif
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fett4Real For This Useful Post:
DocCola (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #63
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Lots of folks pack
Nothing wrong with it

Behind passenger seat is best
Easy access, it can be mounted vertical or horizontal and it's not in plain view if you keep seat back when parked etc
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #64
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I would like to point out that correlation does not imply causation.

This is a great thing to think about when discussing statistics or studies. I normally don't jump in gun threads because I want pro-gun people to have their free space, and anti-gun people to have their space as well. This thread has gone down hill considerably from the first post so I thought I would jump in and have my say.

My say is this:

Both sides have studies which directly imply that the other side is wrong. Those who haven't made up their minds can take that for what it is. To verify, I just spent the last 30 minutes reading some briefs of different peer reviewed studies and I could find an even amount saying CC lowers crime, and the same amount saying that CC had no effect. Arguably there were very few studies that said CC had increased crime at all.

Violent crime has been dropping drastically since 1990 and every day going forward violent crime is less likely than the day before. One statistic that is a hard fact is that the US is becoming safer.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States"]Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Quote:
After World War II, crime rates increased in the United States, peaking from the 1970s to the early 1990s. Violent crime nearly quadrupled between 1960 and its peak in 1991. Property crime more than doubled over the same period. Since the 1990s, however, crime in the United States has declined steeply.
All the links, charts, studies you could want on that topic are out there for you to read, and they definitively point to the US trending towards a safer society year after year. Any counter point to this is a very fringe argument. In almost ever circle this is no longer a debate.

My opinion is that many of the CC studies try to create a link between CC and the reduction in crime, and while this might be a very small effect it is by no means the overwhelming reason for the drop in crime. It is possibly one small factor along with other factors (prison rate increase, abortion rate increase, Clintons anti-crime bill in the early 90's, etc) but even at that the studies are split.

CC seems to cause no harm, but it likely doesn't help to much either. Are their anecdotal stories that can be told about that one time it saved your cousin's friends life? Sure. But no debate should ever come down to being won by anecdotal evidence.

As an ex-9mm owner (range gun I didn't shoot enough), a current Rem 700 owner, and a lover of all mechanical things I would note that I like guns and the power that they allow someone to wield. It's a rather -awesome- power. But I LOVE research, debate, and discussions more and sometimes it's frustrating to watch two sides try to bash their opinion over the heads of someone who has no intention of listening. Do some research, don't take the word of any poster, on any forum, ever, and come to your own conclusions.
codesplice (04-24-2014), eyedeez (05-06-2014), Kuri (04-24-2014), Pizzman (04-24-2014), sc0urge (04-25-2014), stock (05-07-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #65
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
We are incredibly limited in these tiny cars as to where we can put our sidearms.
Being tall 6'1",I'm actually thinking about putting a holster like a Fobus or Kydex right where my right knee goes, maybe a lil lower. Problem is I don't like putting my Kimber in a plastic holster. I like to carry in leather. I haven't seen any paddle style mounted with soft holsters.
But in fairness I haven't looked in a while.
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #66
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
don't know if it was mentioned, but what about the otherwise-useless door cupholders?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #67
retoocs

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I normally stow it behind the passenger seat. My passenger seat is set to be 1 notch from all the way back. My IWB holster wedges itself nicely in that position with the butt just barely visible. You can't see it from the back of the car with my 5% tints. It's normally there if I'm on a long drive. I'll keep it on me if I'm doing short trips.
retoocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #68
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 View Post
We are incredibly limited in these tiny cars as to where we can put our sidearms.
Being tall 6'1",I'm actually thinking about putting a holster like a Fobus or Kydex right where my right knee goes, maybe a lil lower. Problem is I don't like putting my Kimber in a plastic holster. I like to carry in leather. I haven't seen any paddle style mounted with soft holsters.
But in fairness I haven't looked in a while.
Crossbreed is about as close as you'll get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Mooseknuckle44 (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #69
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
Have a friend who had a similar thing happen except he fired shots through his door at the would be car theif
You mean Kung-Fu won't work through your door?

Btw, I'm a vet and long time martial artist as well. The idea that a knife, boxing and martial arts is all you need under all circumstances is ludicrous. Shunning a means of defense due to personal arrogance is a recipe for disaster.

The last time Kung-Fu went up against guns. Boxer Rebellion:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion"]Boxer Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Some pictures of people with guns and others without guns:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ions&FORM=IGRE

I'm just curious what the citizens of the so called anti-gun liberal democracies of the west would do if their centralized government decided to use the military and police to impose its will (for the 'good' of the people no doubt) upon your civil liberties. Suck it up or use Kung-Fu? Nvm, we know the answer. You guys already gave up your civil liberties and rely on Faith in elected politicians, lol. Would you trust governments that don't trust you to manage your own immediate self-defense and protection? Democracy is for enlightened adults, not infants and requires responsibility not shirking it. What rights do you think you have when you don't even have the right to defend your own family? Ah, Kung Fu....

Anyway, if you don't need it or can't take it with you, just use a lock box. Then when you get in the car put it on your person or somewhere more accessible since you are nursing it anyway. If you have to leave it in the car just secure it so if the car gets jacked you won't be complicit to a crime or murder.

Sincerely yours,

Competent, responsible, trained and relatively free (for now) citizen of the United States of Murica.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Boxer486 For This Useful Post:
DocCola (04-24-2014), mikepaul21 (04-24-2014), pche (04-24-2014), Reaper (04-23-2014), sc0urge (04-25-2014), SirBrass (04-24-2014), speedrye (04-24-2014), Wander (05-07-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 12:42 AM   #70
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
why would you need a gun in your car?
Well, it looks like he lives in St. Louis, sooooo.....
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
'murica, bieber, fuckyeah, glove box, gun, handgun, holster