follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #29
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Just wait until the bottom drops out of the Chinese market and all the rich kids lose everything. You think it is a shit show now? That is when the real fun will start.

that's why they're spending the money on tangible goods. If all their money is stored in goods, much easier to sell and regain some of that loss than useless paper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soloside For This Useful Post:
kch (05-14-2019), Tcoat (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloside View Post
that's why they're spending the money on tangible goods. If all their money is stored in goods, much easier to sell and regain some of that loss than useless paper.
I don't buy that. If you are hedging your bets with tangible goods then expensive specialty cars, designer clothing and top tier consumer products is not the way to do it. They are simply buying shit because they can not in some well conceived plan. At least the kids are. The parents may have a plan but we would not hear about that.
kch (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #31
jordan7831

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't buy that. If you are hedging your bets with tangible goods then expensive specialty cars, designer clothing and top tier consumer products is not the way to do it. They are simply buying shit because they can not in some well conceived plan. At least the kids are. The parents may have a plan but we would not hear about that.
At least they didnt buy bit coin.
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jordan7831 For This Useful Post:
kch (05-14-2019), Spuds (05-13-2019), Tcoat (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #32
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post
At least they didnt buy bit coin.
That is because the guy in the office next to me is buying it all. He just spent $10K on Friday because it is "coming back" big. Probably has $100K tied up in it already.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #33
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
That is because the guy in the office next to me is buying it all. He just spent $10K on Friday because it is "coming back" big. Probably has $100K tied up in it already.

considering it's up 34% from last week. I'd say he's doing a good job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soloside For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #34
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloside View Post
considering it's up 34% from last week. I'd say he's doing a good job.
The problem is he buys it high and sells it low. Not sure he understands that isn't how it is done.
dhuang (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #35
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimforapex View Post
I took the bus at 20 till graduated from college. can't really give a piece of solid advice from personal experience. But whipping around campus in a Mclaren 570s is a flex, so I'd go with that.
Yeah, from freshman year in highschool for me all the way through the final 6th year of college for me. Buses, street trains, etc.

TBH I can't really give a perspective because I know even if I had the money back then having a fancy 200k car at the time would've been stupid and worthless.

You're better off driving the BRZ and investing that shit.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #36
georgejxu199

Drives: 2012 BRZ prova
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
OK, for some reason the quote function isn't working on my browser right now... the OP, George, wrote the following...

"I could care less about buying a professor a car I mean I don’t even know any of there names lol."

That's kind of what I was getting at. Sharing your good fortune is a wonderful opportunity to learn to care. Additionally, the phrase should be "I COULDN'T care less...". Stating that you "could care less" implies that you do care to a certain degree.

And... maybe seek out a writing coach/English professor. "Their names," not "there names."

You are, indeed, very fortunate financially.. much more fortunate than at least 99% of the population. I have no idea as the origin of you or your mother's tremendous wealth, but it's great that you have the power to do so much good. I worked and paid my own way through college, didn't have a car until my last year, lived in the cheapest dumpiest apartment I could find because it was cheaper than living on campus, walked eight miles to classes one semester every day (yes, I REALLY did do that), ate a lot of the things (only generic) that Tcoat showed in an earlier post, and learned an awful lot about life. My parents COULD have helped me financially a bit, but didn't because they felt I'd get more out of college if I did it myself... and I wanted it that way, too. I realize that was a very different time in history... way before the phrase "expected family contribution" came into existence.

As another poster said, I have no frame of reference with which to make a recommendation to you, other than having lived, and still living, a full life. One of the great things I was fortunate enough to learn early on is that life is truly happiest when you do things for others, rather than using your wealth and power to benefit yourself to a disproportionate degree. Should you enjoy your money? Absolutely. Should you flaunt it, and not bother to learn your professors' names, nor care about them? No, not in my opinion. I was being a little toungue-in-cheek with my recommendation that you buy your favorite prof a car... but seriously... if you can buy a $200,000 car, why not buy a $100,000 car instead and donate the other $100,000 to some people whose lives would be changed forever by it? Is the enjoyment difference for you between a $100K car and a $200K car worth more than, say, almost two years of tuition for a friend you might make who can't afford to go to school at all? A life-saving operation or complicated prosthetic for a valued friend's loved one? Who KNOWS what good you could do with that money... AND you'd still be driving around an awesome $100K new car to boot!

Believe it or not, I'm a conservative capitalist. I don't hate "the rich"... I admire them. They employ people, and have the power to do the most good in the world. I've been fortunate in my life, retired from my main job over three years ago, and have plenty of money to live comfortably and give away thousands of dollars every year to causes and people who I believe need help. It's never too soon to start helping others, and learn to balance the "I wants" with the "they truly needs."

Best of luck to you in your studies, George. I wish you the best.

Hello again thanks for the reply I appreciate it and sorry if I came off like I ****. The car I will eventually get is financed as it’s not possible in my current situation to pay just straight up cash so there would be no way to just give 100k away. Also the currency we use here is NZD not USD. Also I love to help others. We donate monthly to dog shelters and have been doing so for years and donate money to charities whenever possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
georgejxu199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #37
georgejxu199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
Why two threads?

If you don't own a house with a garage to protect your fancy new car in; then you are going to have a bad time.

I accidentally created a thread in a NZ forum which no one visits so made a new one here. Also don’t know how to delete threads so if you could help I would appreciate it

Old 05-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #38
georgejxu199

New Daily Car for University

Quote:
Yep I get that there are kids with very rich parents. This particular one just smells of bullshit. Not talking in general.

Sorry if I sound bullshit but I can show you proof of the car fleet at my home currently. I don’t want to show off but we have a 2016 m4, Mercedes 2018 glc43amg coming soon when we trade in our current ML250. A Mercedes a250 and lastly my current car a 2012 BRZ. I can send you photos if you need which is why I’m asking for opinions. Not here to bullshit I have much better things to do than that. However the Mclaren 570s may be a bit of a stretch but the C63 and glc63 definitely are not and my mum has approved of them already

Last edited by georgejxu199; 05-13-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #39
georgejxu199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
Well, IMO, telling your date to be quiet so as not to wake your "roommate", is not very romantic. And, telling your date you live with your mom to afford your car is worse.

Owning a house when I’m only 20 isn’t adequate right now. I also love living at home but right now I’m in the student halls at university so I can gladly bring dates over

Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #40
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
/needs opinions between 1%er cars on a $25 K car site

I mean we can barely convince the right people to get a twin, what makes OP think he will get any reasonable opinions on this site to help determine his own taste...

NID
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
NCtoBRZ (05-14-2019), spike021 (05-13-2019), Spuds (05-13-2019), Tcoat (05-13-2019), weederr33 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #41
georgejxu199

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
/needs opinions between 1%er cars on a $25 K car site

I mean we can barely convince the right people to get a twin, what makes OP think he will get any reasonable opinions on this site to help determine his own taste...

NID

I don’t mean to post on here I just didn’t know which forum to post on and I thought “hey I have a BRZ at the moment so I’ll post it here”

Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #42
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejxu199 View Post
Sorry if I sound bullshit but I can show you proof of the car fleet at my home currently. I don’t want to show off but we have a 2016 m4, Mercedes 2018 glc43amg coming soon when we trade in our current ML250. A Mercedes a250 and lastly my current car a 2012 BRZ. I can send you photos if you need which is why I’m asking for opinions. Not here to bullshit I have much better things to do than that. However the Mclaren 570s may be a bit of a stretch but the C63 and glc63 definitely are not and my mum has approved of them already

Well you better hope the real world doesn't crash down on you someday because you will have no clue on how to survive it.
j3rf (05-17-2019)