follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #71
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
I should have clarified. I meant at launch. You need to avoid the torque dip at launch or you're "slow". Other than that, I agree with you.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
..wat? so you're suggesting to dump the clutch at 5 K otherwise what do you consider as the "torque dip"? you don't need an amazing launch either...
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #72
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrian View Post
bingo, at higher speeds, small movements with my pinky could send me off into dukes of hazards mode, lol.

i'm going to look into better rubber as i'm going to be upgrading to coils and wheels here very soon.

I forget to mention one thing that can change how it feel as well, the stock steering wheel is very well designed, if you put another wrap of leather or soft material on it. you will dampen a good amount of feedback actually.

'That & sticker/softer tires with softer side wall alone will get it down instead of changing into bigger rims.

see if you can find a new 86 with new michelin pilot super sport locally to test drive, you will see what I mean.

PSPS: go drive your car upto jerome when it's not busy.. I love the road up to it.....
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #73
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post

PSPS: go drive your car upto jerome when it's not busy.. I love the road up to it.....

What about back down?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #74
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Focus ST, lol. i'm used to torque steer.
Not sure if you've already found the answer but this could be a really big portion of what you are experiencing.

I own both cars and used to own a Fiesta ST before the Focus. Since the BRZ was the car i had before either, the Focus/Fiesta ST steering felt super numb to me. Like there was so much play before the car actually did anything. Not to mention throw in the fact that its a FWD car also meant that i had to fight understeer quite a bit.

The nice thing about that Ford lineup of cars, is that both cars are economy cars with some minor changes to make them more sporty. So many of the luxuries that you get in the other non-sporty models you will get in the ST model. The steering is going to be more direct in a Focus ST compared to a Focus Titanium, but you have to remember the BRZ is a racecar from the bottom up. It's not a modified econobox like the FOcus/Fiesta ST or even the WRX and STi for that matter. The entire point of the car was driver feedback. We have some of the most responsive and direct steering you can get in a car.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
rvoll (05-01-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 01:55 AM   #75
iBrian

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Not sure if you've already found the answer but this could be a really big portion of what you are experiencing.

I own both cars and used to own a Fiesta ST before the Focus. Since the BRZ was the car i had before either, the Focus/Fiesta ST steering felt super numb to me. Like there was so much play before the car actually did anything. Not to mention throw in the fact that its a FWD car also meant that i had to fight understeer quite a bit.

The nice thing about that Ford lineup of cars, is that both cars are economy cars with some minor changes to make them more sporty. So many of the luxuries that you get in the other non-sporty models you will get in the ST model. The steering is going to be more direct in a Focus ST compared to a Focus Titanium, but you have to remember the BRZ is a racecar from the bottom up. It's not a modified econobox like the FOcus/Fiesta ST or even the WRX and STi for that matter. The entire point of the car was driver feedback. We have some of the most responsive and direct steering you can get in a car.
I still haven't found the answer to my problem, I've slowly been adjusting to the feel of the car, I am going to try different rubber in the near future as i'm looking to get wheels and tires soon as well as coilovers. I think my problem is just that it's a whole different beast and it'll take some time getting used to.
iBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iBrian For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 06:10 AM   #76
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I still haven't found the answer to my problem, I've slowly been adjusting to the feel of the car, I am going to try different rubber in the near future as i'm looking to get wheels and tires soon as well as coilovers. I think my problem is just that it's a whole different beast and it'll take some time getting used to.
BINGO!
Old 05-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #77
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Quote:
I mean thats all it really is. Remember this is a car that was built to be a racecar from the ground up. Unlike the Focus which was an econobox before and then they added some performance parts and a turbo.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #78
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
It could also just be alignment related, to a certain extent. Too much/little toe, one side's camber is different from the other side, etc... maybe you've got your car being very sensitive to turn in? Just a possibility.

The factory alignment specs allow for a wide variance in toe & camber, so just because your mechanic has "checked" your arms to be ok, it doesn't mean your alignment is ideal for highway driving.

Recently, my car's on-center stability has changed a bit from when I first bought the car. I used to be able to keep it centered on highway lanes at 80+ mph with no effort. Now, it's just (I don't know how to describe it).. sluggishly sensitive. Definitely doesn't feel quite the same as when I first bought the car. I had an alignment done recently to try & correct the "feel", but since I never knew what my original alignment from the factory was, I can't compare to see what's changed, or what might be causing this different steering feel at highway speeds.

It doesn't bug me too much, but I notice subtle changes like this in my car after driving it for 5+ years. I might try getting LCA/camber bolts and tweaking my alignment again to see if I can "improve" the feel to what it used to be.

I'm still on stock wheels (225 tires) & suspension too btw.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #79
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
When I got mine in '13 and took off down the coast, the steering tended to stick wherever I left it last.
It was mostly tight new bushings and tie rod / rack ends that have loosened up a bit.
I think it's still a sweet steering vehicle now.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-11-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #80
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post

as much as i love the twins i have never heard of a racecar without any camber adjustment i have seen some ND miata drivers get -3 degrees adjustment stock. (ok thats a bit of an exaggeration)
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #81
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
WTF? Has everyone finally grown tired of whining about the horsepower and now it's the steering?

Sure, I noticed the steering on my 2014 right away, because it's perfect. Telepathically accurate, smooth as silk and gets you around the curves at high speed with minimum of effort and no complaining or suprises. This has also been the opinion of every experienced driver I have invited behind the wheel. If the OP has so radically different an impression, there must be something badly wrong with his car. And the bloviating "experts" lining up to emote upon their weeks of experience (comparing the BRZ to a van, for God's sake), well, pass me the joint, because it must be good. "If the foo shits," as they say.

Okay, now I'm going to put on my hazmat suit to meet the shitstorm that's coming my way. I can't wait. Please note my signature line.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #82
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
@iBrian what's your rear toe?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #83
squelchy451

Drives: Pending
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Most non-enthusiasts that I see have a terrible time keeping their hands steady on the highway and from that, I could see how manufacturers may want to factor in a couple degrees of on-center play on the steering. However, I find that to be even more annoying than having a sensitive steering like the BRZ. At least it's nicely weighted on the BRZ so you have to make a conscious effort to move the steering wheel.
squelchy451 is offline   Reply With Quote