follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #309
FRSapex

Drives: Datsun Series-1 240Z, FR-S, VW GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
A lotus elise/exige is a third car in the garage. It handles like a go kart, low to the ground and has a gem of a motor (That Toyota 2ZZ-GE!). It does have a small trunk and a passenger seat, but its super impractical.....

-Getting in and out is a chore for even a short person (the car is tiny). Its like getting and sitting inside a bathtub through a window opening that is as high as your waist.
-Once inside its got pretty comfortable but thin seats, and hardly any if at all amenities, so everything's exposed.
-Its probably loud as hell inside...but I think the 2ZZ motor makes up for it.
-It has a trunk...that fits stuff....but its not very big.
-depending on how wide you are you are most likely going to be intruding into the passenger shoulder space.

You'd have to compromise a lot to make it work as a daily driver. Occasional fun car? hell yeah. Trying to daily it? hell naw.

Or you could get a BRZ or the like and half nearly the same experience with vastly more comfort, and quite frankly much less money.
With that said i'd love an Exige/Elise with the 2ZZ, not the later ones with the supercharged 1ZZ Hell i'd even look at an Evora if I want something a bit more "exotic'y"
The very reason I bought an FRS was because I wanted the nimble driving package of my 240Z and 914 in a DD - and I was not disappointed!
I can't think of another car that fits that bill for me, not now anyway.
FRSapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #310
Ultramaroon
hooning for ramen

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 21,361 Times in 11,846 Posts
Mentioned: 816 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Does the UK , certain European countries impose extra taxes on engines that are over 2L ? Sorry, I should google that one
I learned that 2L is the cutoff for a "small" car in Japan. That puts the discussion into perspective.
Old Today, 12:11 AM   #311
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,338 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
The eternal struggle

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:17 AM   #312
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I learned that 2L is the cutoff for a "small" car in Japan. That puts the discussion into perspective.
That makes sense. If you're a high roller in Japan that wants to drive a V6 / V8 Toyota or Lexus , they can afford those extra taxes. Then there is the 30k mile cut off in Japan, pretty sure all cars / engines get turned in by that point ( 30k) for emission standards / laws.

I wonder what would happen in the US , if the US laws were similar to Japan ?!?! Pure bedlam / pandamonia / anarchy at that point. Red necks would run for the hills in their trucks yelling " Wolverines" = Red Dawn Pt. 2 , and surely some with V6 / V8 would give up their rigs for smaller engines. Lots…and lots of gas would be saved in the process , but there would be sacrifices to be made in order to reach that point. Maybe that's just it, it could be right around the bend … government imposed restrictions . Car manufactures have the EPA to deal with , but what's to say our government puts the smack-down on us common folk…. to impose a engine size restriction.
Old Today, 05:56 AM   #313
ermax

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Raven
Thanked 1,502 Times in 900 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Size restrictions I get but does an engine really go to shit and start polluting at 30k? Seems more like a money grab to me.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote