follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Silly solution to 2-3 gear grind?

Alright so I've noticed a lot of people here complain about the 2-3 or 4-5 gear grind. There are lots that mention difficult shifting into 1st, but after several months with the car you kinda figure out what works in what weather and work around it.

Having said that, I did have some issues with too much notchiness, especially in cold weather, on OEM trans fluid. I switched it out to Motul and it was marginally better.

It would still be just a bit too grabby at times, and I'd have that faint grinding feel as the shifter moved through the gate. Eventually I tried switching to Redline, which was noticeably better in colder weather.

As the weather warmed up, however, I noticed a lot more notchiness and grinding, especially going into third. So much so that even my wife noticed.

My theory was that Redline, while being excellent in colder weather, is not as good as Motul in warmer weather.

So 2 days ago I switched back to Motul and there was a qualitative improvement in feel. Hard to define, maybe confirmation bias, but overall the car felt better.

I thought to myself, okay let's give it some gas and see how the shifting holds up. Unfortunately the 2-3 grind was kind of there still. I refused to believe there was something mechanically wrong with the car. It's a 2017, and it's only got about 31K miles on it and I don't abuse it in any way. On top of that I have the MTEC springs, perrin shifter support, and a trans bushing, which is supposed to sharpen everything up.

So I decided to instead focus on myself and audit my shifting. I noticed that I wasn't lifting my foot clean off the throttle during shifts, which led to the grinding sensation, which is for some reason most apparent in that 2-3 shift. I started taking my foot off the pedal all the way and since then there are no problems what so ever. The shifts are velvety smooth.

So maybe the problem is the driver in a lot of these cases? Monitor your shifting and see if you're the cause. We grow lazy and complacent and acquire bad habits over time. There you go, my 2 cents.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I never had an issue, past my first week of driving. For me it was depressing the clutch 100% down between shifts. Also this tranny loves quick deliberate shifts vs slow lazy ones. (note not banging through the gears just being very firm and with follow through).

Never had a problem since then even on OEM fluid. Having a Honda in the past, you could tap the clutch and sneeze in the right direction and that thing would fall into gear without even a crunch, but I prefer the feel of this tranny over a lot of cars I've driven. One of the worst was a 2008 STi, no matter what I did that transmission just did not feel right rowing through the gears.

I think people just are too lazy jumping into this car and want the car to adapt to them instead of trying to work with the car.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
2-3 and 3-4 are very clean shifts for me. 1-2 is the more common issue most folks on this forum have had and for me is only rough during the first couple miles but I normally skip 2nd for the first few pulls.

as mentioned above, this gearbox functions better when your throws are more deliberate. I have worked on & adjusted my shifting technique over time and currently all the throws feel pretty good for me
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
2-3 and 3-4 are very clean shifts for me. 1-2 is the more common issue most folks on this forum have had and for me is only rough during the first couple miles but I normally skip 2nd for the first few pulls.

as mentioned above, this gearbox functions better when your throws are more deliberate. I have worked on & adjusted my shifting technique over time and currently all the throws feel pretty good for me
honestly the throw was never an issue. I could do any kind of throw, shifting open palm as well, none of that grab the knob and pull into next gear bad technique, and I would still get that grindy feel. That's what made me think the issue was elsewhere and I narrowed it down to not fully lifting off the throttle.

Even for the clutch, it doesn't make a difference if I'm fully down to the floor. Being fully off-throttle seems to be key for me
Old 06-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,815 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I am so glad that we are finally getting this shifting thing figured out -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I am so glad that we are finally getting this shifting thing figured out -

humfrz

us young pukes don't have your wealth of experience driving un-syncro'd boxes
humfrz (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,815 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post

us young pukes don't have your wealth of experience driving un-syncro'd boxes
Well, that be true. I took shifting very seriously at a young age -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-14-2019), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
honestly the throw was never an issue. I could do any kind of throw, shifting open palm as well, none of that grab the knob and pull into next gear bad technique, and I would still get that grindy feel. That's what made me think the issue was elsewhere and I narrowed it down to not fully lifting off the throttle.

Even for the clutch, it doesn't make a difference if I'm fully down to the floor. Being fully off-throttle seems to be key for me
I used to man handle the shifter a lot especially during the first 30 K miles or so and I used to get some really rough shifts but ever since I started moving the stick with just my fingers and after I got used to the very narrow gates it has been nothing but a joy rowing through the gears....and when you're referring to "grindy" feel, I assume you are referring to feeling the synchros yes? I don't really consider that "grinding"..plus it is a whole lot better than virtually all FWD MTs with their vague and rubbery shifting feel.. either way, driveline shock from the throttle and clutch operation is normal and managing it is part of the experience & skill

Last edited by HKz; 06-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post: