follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #29
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
75% satisfied, only gripes are power related

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.

Last edited by Dream20b; 05-30-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Fail
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #30
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
This car is like dating a hot girl with bi-polar disorder. You're not entirely sure what you're going to get out of it whenever you take it out of the garage, but when it behaves well, you can't wipe the smile off your face.
Pkush (09-25-2014), sweetfrs (07-21-2014), unsurety (06-02-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #31
MeehowsBRZ
Banned

Drives: BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Its my favorite car out of all the ones I've owned by far.
MeehowsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #32
PoorMansRacing
Anorexic

Drives: 2003 Honda S2000 Suzuka Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I am very satisfied. There are some things that bother me (condensation in the tail lights, squeaking windows, etc.), but overall, it's an impressive car. After a tune and some modest power upgrades, the car doesn't feel slow. It reminds me of the same joy I had driving my old '71 911 but even better. It's definitely a keeper for me.

PoorMansRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #33
SCharged

Drives: asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Very satisfied with the car, much less so with how the dealershit is addressing my small warranty issues.... most notably idle dip related stalling..
SCharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #34
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Very satisfied.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #35
speargunsandracecars

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://rallyways.com/6549/subaru-brz-driving-dynamics/

I'm extremely satisfied with the car. "Lack of power" isn't an issue for me at all. In fact, I think the powerplant is superb for what it is. 2.0L boxer which makes 100HP/L NA is in impressive feat nowadays. That being said, I prefer high revving NA engines over FI engines anyway. It's great value for the money, and a good stepping stone for those looking to get higher end sportscars in the future. The new Cayman GTS is next on my list, but that's years and years and years away.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #36
FRSpappa

Drives: 2014 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Well let's see, I have a C4 Corvette that's faster 0-60 but doesn't put the grin on my face this car does. I looked at the Genesis V6 R Spec and the Camaro V6 and still chose this car! Wouldn't even consider a Mustang as they are very old and dated to me. The ergonomics are spot on and it's a drivers car so some won't get it. Only have 500mi on it so far and just got 31.6 MPG on a little get away!!! I'm mean seriously is there anything this car doesn't do well for the money...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FRSpappa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSpappa For This Useful Post:
Mini Cooper S (09-24-2014), NIN69 (05-30-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #37
Tenchi

Drives: Silver Ignition 6MT 10 series FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Was about 60% satisfied until I got my car tuned on E85. Now I'm 100% satisfied lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #38
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Have almost 27k on mine and have loved every mile. No complaints here.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #39
NIN69
Izzy Gure (Senior Member)

Drives: FR-S TRD Release Series 1.0 / #1459
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Just hit 1000 miles! I must suffer from separation anxiety because I still look back and just stare at my car every time I park. Also, I have never taken as many pictures of a car since I bought my FR-S.

Visit me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/izzygure

Last edited by NIN69; 06-01-2014 at 09:45 AM.
NIN69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #40
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
LOVE:
Appearance, it looks like it belongs on a track. ENDLESS compliments/thumbs up. Sometimes I have to walk to my car slowly at parking lots to give people the chance to look at it before I return to my car and not make them feel like a creeper.

Handling. Street go kart. Tail happy when pushed. All within the speed limit. Stock suspension is firm, high but firm. And not uncomfortable for long journeys. I have coilovers just to lower the height with the dampening set to roughly the same as factory, have made several 400 to 900 mile round trips over the course of a few days and always arrive comfortable.

Simplicity, the only luxury's are cruise, AC, traction control, and iPod/aux in. That's all I want out of a car. Some people might argue that. But with expensive gadgets come expensive repair bills down the line as the vehicle gets older. It's a raw drivers car.

Aftermarket. Is getting bigger by the day, and will be growing for years to come.

Power. I like it, it fun to drive a slower car balls to the wall, than it is to constantly modulate a higher power car and keep from getting in trouble. (I had a 400whp saabaru wagon with an sti v7 ej207 swap and rotated gt3076r. Fun, but always instantly breaking the law)

Did I say appearance? Gorgeous

Gas mileage. I'm not easy on the car, but I don't beat the living crap out of it daily. I have almost 23,000 miles on it now, and I've averaged 30.5 mpg combined the whole time I've had it. Long high way trips I see 33/34 mpg. City I get about 27/28.

Safety. It's a Subaru. 8 airbags and their legendary high strength pillars. It's tiny but I feel safe in it.

Not so great things:
Space. If you're 6'1" like me, kiss the back seat good bye. But it's a sports car, did I buy it to be practical? No.

Trunk space is hit or miss. While I can fit a full grocery shop in there with ease, somethings just have to go in the back seat - like my cooler. Again, sports car. I can't move house in it, nor pick up large furniture. But I can fit a set of wheels and tires in the back with the seats down to go to the track. & I can throw luggage in the trunk for a week away with the lady friend. Yes I said it can fit a weeks work of a woman's clothes in it. We all know that means 3 weeks worth in reality (no offense lady's)

Crickets. Crickets. Crickets.

Appearance, yep it's a downside too. Mine is firestorm with gold wheels. I have to remember to be considerate on the road. I stand out like a sore thumb. Every cop I drive by stares me down. Every Honduh/Mustang/idiot I approach wants to race me. It's hard to be inconspicuous. In my case anyway.

Your local "car enthusiasts" are going to tell you, you wasted your money. The BRZ STI is going to be turbo next year - No it's not. You should have bought a Genesis it has more power for the same price. Or just a straight up "it lacks power". Purely because they look at one set of numbers across the board. HP/TQ figures. They forget it weighs in at 2750lbs. I've had mine on the scales with a few weight reduction mods and she sits at 2650 with a full tank of gas. 0-60 in 6 seconds is not a slow car.

It's very low, even stock ride height. It can be unpractical on shitty roads if you just want to drive it like an A to B car. I'm lowered and live in a town with awful roads. My front bumper chin is lacking some of it's paint on the under side, and I've managed to hit the skid plate once or twice driving a couple streets that I hadn't before. But if you're conscious and care about the car, it can be lived with.

Cup holders? I've had passengers complain about them. I drink mainly water and my camelbak bottle fits perfectly in the door card. As do most water bottles I buy. #aintcare

I really can't think of a whole lot of negatives. Yes I own the car and I'm slightly biased. But I'm trying to give an honest opinion.
While I do enjoy the power of the car, yes I wish it had more stock. Not "OMG WTF BBQ 300WHP TURBO POWER". -More like: the power that I have with full exhaust, open flash tablet and open flash header. Of course, I have that power now thanks to the after market. And it makes the car my own. I also like modding cars. So at the same time it's nice to know my car isn't as "slow" as everyone really thinks it is because I've put work into it myself.

Hope this helps!

Complimentary picture:
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VacantSky For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (07-21-2014), NIN69 (06-01-2014), Pkush (09-25-2014), Vracer111 (06-04-2014), ~el~jefe~ (01-03-2017)
Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #41
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Very satisfied. The strangest part for me was owning a 2009 Boxster S for a while and looking forward to getting back into my FR-S. Not saying the FR-S is the better car (it's not), but it's got a certain minimalist appeal to it.
Well said, and in total agreement. I've owned faster "better" cars than the FRS.
Yet I am totally satisfied with this car and would choose it over most other cars out there regardless of power or price.
It's minimalistic design is refreshing in today's over optioned bloated sport car choices available. The car has great feedback and visceral feel that you just can't get anymore without going custom or paying big bucks.
All those trying to make supercars out of the twins are missing the point of what it is and how good it already is.
The power it has matches it's mechanical grip perfectly and allows you to use most of its power in the real world.. Which makes the car more fun to drive than something over powered and made for the limits.
This is an awesome car.. Many dismiss that because it's too inexpensive to be good or it's not fast enough..
I pity the fool... Lol..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #42
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVodka14 View Post
I am tired of hearing everyone talk about "lack of power". That is debatable. It's a high revving motor and you have to keep it up in the RPM range to feel the power. If you want low end power then you are going the wrong way. The car does have a good low end torque feel. The gearbox is sweet so I am not sure what Rocket.BRZ is speaking of. The tires are put on the car on purpose to induce sliding with less effort.

I do feel the gas mileage could be a bit better. It's not bad but I expected better. Others will disagree. It's a niche car and you have to understand why the car was made. If you like inspiration behind the vehicle then you will enjoy owning the car. I would prefer a slightly taller final drive gear ratio. Yet I can see the rationale behind the lower final gear ration from the factory.

All and all I have love my FRS. Test drive one and see what you think.

In regard to buying an AE86. I would go far new car because of warranty and obviously it being NEW. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Cheers!
I'm at high RPM on the track all the time and on tracks with any decent straightaway the damn car needs more power. it doesn't need 400hp. It just needs a little more, but when a f$cking spec miata PULLS on my on the back straight at sebring when I had higher exit speeds (based on data logging) then the damn car needs more power lol

Overall my opinion of the twins is that they are great drivers cars. I don't use mine anymore because the M3 is simply a better daily driver in every way except fuel economy and the track car has full safety gear where the BRZ doesn't. Moving cars to get the BRZ out of the garage is more hassle than it's worth for occasional weekend drives. If I didn't have the M3 I'd still be DD'ing the BRZ and enjoying it though. I really need to stop buying cars with similar characteristics.

I'm at the point where I either need to sell the M3 and do a NA build of the BRZ (or just his the easy button and boost it) or sell the BRZ and get something completely different (vintage probably..). The BRZ's biggest cons IMO are the power/torque dip and the less than bulletproof reliability we've seen so far. The trans is good (not perfect but good), the engine is mostly shit in stock form, the interior is very good for the price point of the car IMO, the steering is fantastic, and the chassis is pretty damn good too. Brakes are decent but I don't run the stock fronts anymore anyways.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (07-22-2014)