follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #981
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysdexia View Post
I don't have any info there, some searching didn't yield any data about it. It doesn't have the protrusions jutting off of the sides, has a higher tail that creates more downforce at the likely cost of greater turbulence, and doesn't have the small bumps that look like they act as vortex generators.

I'd bet that the TRD spoiler increases the coefficient of drag, but don't treat my word as gospel on that.
Might have to stick it out with the Scion spoiler...I'll see how it looks when she arrives.

Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #982
Slysdexia

Drives: '14 Monogram 6MT FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
Questioning why they would do this unless this is a physics thing to make it easier to push in the clutch pedal. Don't really want to go wrenching around right away on a new car.
It's cantilevered on a secondary lever in the pedal assembly. it fights you right at first, making the pedal stiffer, then helps push it down as you get further into pedal travel, making it oddly light and sensationless.

With the spring, it's brieflyfirm-soft-soft-soft with no feel as to where the bite point is.

Without the spring, it's soft-firmer-firm-soft as you pass the bite point.

I went from jerkily shifting and almost stalling at lights (which was embarrassing for me because I've been daily driving standard shift for 6 years) to suddenly being able to make glass smooth shifts and starts with quick, painless heel-toe downshifts without having to put any thought into it.

Coming from the grapefruit launcher (you couldn't hold it down in traffic, your leg would go numb) of a clutch in my '94 4.0 Ranger to the almost delicate (by comparison) but very communicative clutch in my '00 Civic DX, the sensation-less clutch in my FR-S was difficult to get a handle on. It was also really at odds with the rest of the car. So I drive maybe two and a half hours with the spring in and couldn't take it.

Removing the spring isn't something that's really reversible, but unless you've never driven stick before this car, you won't want to.
Slysdexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #983
MonoRaven

Drives: 2014 Monogram Raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I must be weird! I really like the feel of the clutch. I've been driving manuals for 35 years and though this one is really soft I like it. I got used to it right away and though I can't really feel the bite point my leg learned where it is right away. My shifts feel a lot smoother than my last 2 cars, a tC and an S2000.
Maybe after driving big trucks and American Muscle for many years this soft easy clutch is a relief for an old man!
But then again I am still babying it in the break-in period so when that's over it all could change!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #984
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoRaven View Post
I must be weird! I really like the feel of the clutch. I've been driving manuals for 35 years and though this one is really soft I like it. I got used to it right away and though I can't really feel the bite point my leg learned where it is right away. My shifts feel a lot smoother than my last 2 cars, a tC and an S2000.
Maybe after driving big trucks and American Muscle for many years this soft easy clutch is a relief for an old man!
But then again I am still babying it in the break-in period so when that's over it all could change!
I've only owned two cars previously and both were manual trans. 89 Acura Integra and my current car 2003 Celica GT. I'm thinking I will probably find it fine. Have no trouble shifting smooth in my Celica...I'm sure it will be comparable and definitely a shorter shift throw.

Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:23 AM   #985
Creole

Drives: Monogram FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Monogram Series FR-S Orders

In my opinion the clutch point is a little high. I've had a 5spd 07 tC, 6 speed, 04 g35, and a 12' genesis 6spd so far out of all of them I prefer the g35 clutch. But of course that's my preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2014, 04:11 AM   #986
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm still getting used to my clutch, mostly when it comes to taking off. I've only had manual cars in the past, and this clutch point seems pretty high to me. I've actually grown to like how soft it is though, I think it's nice when you're really driving the car hard.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #987
Slysdexia

Garage
My girlfriend's and mine together this morning. Both are Monogram series.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slysdexia For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (03-15-2014), Chattanooga FR-S (03-15-2014), IntotheOcean (03-15-2014), mush (03-15-2014), subiestyle (03-15-2014), torqdork (03-15-2014), wulfstan (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #988
IntotheOcean

Drives: Sexy Frs Firestorm M/T
Thanked 1,636 Times in 760 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Lol Aww @Slysdexia that's cute!
IntotheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #989
wulfstan

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
My girlfriend's and mine together this morning. Both are Monogram series.

Ummm, not hating and thoroughly intrigued with matching set...

It is cute...

Johnny
wulfstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #990
Armitage

Drives: 2014 Monogram FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My first post! My first sports car! My first manual transmission!

Just got it Tuesday. I took some photos of it yesterday.

Armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armitage For This Useful Post:
IntotheOcean (03-15-2014), Slysdexia (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #991
Slysdexia

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
Lol Aww @Slysdexia that's cute!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfstan View Post
Ummm, not hating and thoroughly intrigued with matching set...

It is cute...

Johnny
Funnily enough, that wasn't even our intent. We both think it's hilarious.

She was coming from a Mini Cooper S and was used to the push button start, auto climate control, all that jazz, and really liked Hot Lava. As luck would have it, the dealer nearby had a 6AT hot Lava Monogram on their lot, so she bought it. It helps that I've been fawning over this car for years, so she's gotten into it too.

I'm just as in love with the color, and wanted the headlights (the other features are just bonus). They had to talk another dealer out of mine, but they got it straight from port after we waited for the spoiler.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #992
subiestyle

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S White MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
It's cantilevered on a secondary lever in the pedal assembly. it fights you right at first, making the pedal stiffer, then helps push it down as you get further into pedal travel, making it oddly light and sensationless.

With the spring, it's brieflyfirm-soft-soft-soft with no feel as to where the bite point is.

Without the spring, it's soft-firmer-firm-soft as you pass the bite point.

I went from jerkily shifting and almost stalling at lights (which was embarrassing for me because I've been daily driving standard shift for 6 years) to suddenly being able to make glass smooth shifts and starts with quick, painless heel-toe downshifts without having to put any thought into it.

Coming from the grapefruit launcher (you couldn't hold it down in traffic, your leg would go numb) of a clutch in my '94 4.0 Ranger to the almost delicate (by comparison) but very communicative clutch in my '00 Civic DX, the sensation-less clutch in my FR-S was difficult to get a handle on. It was also really at odds with the rest of the car. So I drive maybe two and a half hours with the spring in and couldn't take it.

Removing the spring isn't something that's really reversible, but unless you've never driven stick before this car, you won't want to.
how much extra force do you need to push the clutch pedal? 2x?
subiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #993
FiRStsc10n
Canadian FR-S Member

Drives: FR-S '10 Series'
There was a couple who bought his-and-hers 10 Series too. But curious, why not choose a different color to switch it up in the driveway.
FiRStsc10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #994
subiestyle

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S White MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Funnily enough, that wasn't even our intent. We both think it's hilarious.

She was coming from a Mini Cooper S and was used to the push button start, auto climate control, all that jazz, and really liked Hot Lava. As luck would have it, the dealer nearby had a 6AT hot Lava Monogram on their lot, so she bought it. It helps that I've been fawning over this car for years, so she's gotten into it too.

I'm just as in love with the color, and wanted the headlights (the other features are just bonus). They had to talk another dealer out of mine, but they got it straight from port after we waited for the spoiler.
the headlights also won me over.

any mods you do, you're gonna have to double up and do it on hers too.
subiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote