follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
FLHC

Drives: WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
trading car in for BRZ

I got my 08 WRX from the same dealership that I'm purchasing my BRZ from. Unfortunately, the car has some damage due to other people (only damage by me was curb rash..)

This includes scuffs on both bumpers, damage to the hood, and one or two other things.

Should I go through the trouble of repairing the car to get more value out of it, will the repairs be moot as they will deduct the same amount as the repairs, orrrr will they deduct less than it costs for me to repair it due to them getting the repairs at cost?
FLHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
brianbot5000

Drives: White WRX Hatchback, Toyota Pickup
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd just sell it private party. Someone will pay more for it than you'll ever get from the dealer, especially true considering the cosmetic damage. Throw up an ad on Craigslist, or go list it on NASIOC - won't cost anything.
brianbot5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
You need to figure out market value for your 08 in "pristine" condition. Then get a quote for the repairs, and then compare with what the dealer wants to offer you for the car in "as-is" condition.

If (cost of repairs) + (trade in "as is" value) < or = pristine condition trade, don't bother

I would love to say YES do it! or NO don't bother...but i really think it depends on the situation.

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don't forget that you save money on taxes by trading the car in. For example if you buy the BRZ straight up you'll pay taxes on roughly $26k. Using NY as an example that's another $2k not including anything else that gets tagged on. If your car is worth lets say $16k on a trade your only paying taxes on the difference $26k-16k=10k. Taxes on 10k are roughly $900. If you don't owe anything on it then it could be a better option. Unless you feel that you can get significantly more for it. I'm in the same boat with my G8. Not sure what I want to do. Good luck!
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Generally speaking, it's usually not worth fixing a car before trading it in, but figure out the difference in market price and compare that to the repair estimate. If you need help determining market price, use KBB or Edmunds TMV.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just have the dealership give you a value and then go from there.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
FitchAlcyone

Drives: 2019 BRZ Series.Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC BRZ View Post
Don't forget that you save money on taxes by trading the car in. For example if you buy the BRZ straight up you'll pay taxes on roughly $26k. Using NY as an example that's another $2k not including anything else that gets tagged on. If your car is worth lets say $16k on a trade your only paying taxes on the difference $26k-16k=10k. Taxes on 10k are roughly $900. If you don't owe anything on it then it could be a better option. Unless you feel that you can get significantly more for it. I'm in the same boat with my G8. Not sure what I want to do. Good luck!
NYC, can you elaborate on this a little? This happens to be the route I will be taking, though I still owe on my car (not upside-down, however).

While I'm not in New York, I can imagine this similarly applies to Texas. The state website mentions only paying taxes on the new car equal to the difference between it and the trade-in. If you (or anyone) happen to know, does this mean if my car is worth $15k and the BRZ is $30k, I will only pay sales tax for the remaining $15k regardless of how much I owe on the trade?
FitchAlcyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchAlcyone View Post
NYC, can you elaborate on this a little? This happens to be the route I will be taking, though I still owe on my car (not upside-down, however).

While I'm not in New York, I can imagine this similarly applies to Texas. The state website mentions only paying taxes on the new car equal to the difference between it and the trade-in. If you (or anyone) happen to know, does this mean if my car is worth $15k and the BRZ is $30k, I will only pay sales tax for the remaining $15k regardless of how much I owe on the trade?
Exactly. You will pay tax based on $15k; the payoff has no bearing on this. Say sales tax is 6%, you'd pay $900 rather than $1800 on a $30k car.

Generally speaking you would still do better to sell the car privately (can be tougher if you have a payoff because you don't have the title), but you have to go through the work of posting the car for sale and making time to see potential buyers. Plus trying to coordinate selling the car with buying the new car can be difficult if you have an ordered car. If you were buying a car on the lot it would be easier because there will be one available whenever you sell your car.

To the OP, the dealer can usually get that work done for less money than you would so generally speaking it's not worth it unless you can get a good deal on the repairs. There's about a $2,000 spread between "rough trade-in" and "clean trade-in" on NADA guides for an 08 WRX sedan. If you can get them done for less (and you may very well be able to) it might be worth it. I know my manager takes one look at body damage and immediately offers "rough trade-in" value. Especially because it looks like the car may not have been well-kept in other areas, regardless of how well you might maintain it.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
FitchAlcyone (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
yeah2311

Drives: 2012 Subaru BRZ Premium GBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchAlcyone View Post

It also depends on the state. Not every state has this deal, I know Ohio does. If you look into the taxes, http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...d-you-pay.html. Look at the trade-in value tax. If you have a yes that means the trade in value is deducted from the taxes you pay, if it is a no then you have to pay taxes on the total price of the car you are buying not the difference.
yeah2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yeah2311 For This Useful Post:
FitchAlcyone (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah2311 View Post
It also depends on the state. Not every state has this deal, I know Ohio does. If you look into the taxes, http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...d-you-pay.html. Look at the trade-in value tax. If you have a yes that means the trade in value is deducted from the taxes you pay, if it is a no then you have to pay taxes on the total price of the car you are buying not the difference.
Basically they take whatever they are going to give you for your car. Then subtract that from the price of the vehicle. Tax you on that amount, then roll over whatever negative equity is in your trade after, assuming you have any.

They do it this way, so that you're not paying taxes on the trade in vehicle which you already paid taxes on.
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Aonarch
Sup Brah?

Drives: '12 VW GTI
As stated get a quote from a body shop, a trade in quote, and place a ad online.
Aonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
anyone trading in a car for a pre-ordered BRZ or FRS is totally porked...when they offer you significantly less than your car is actually worth (which they are most definitely going to do) what are you going to do? you have almost no leverage...are you going to walk? Doubtful...
But if you choose to keep it and sell it yourself now you've got all the hassles that someone mentioned above to sell it on your own including having two sets of plates with the extra cost of getting new ones...car insurance on both cars until you sell the old one, etc...it bites...I've been agonizing over this for a little while...and there isn't a good or easy answer.
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sale your car at CarMax!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
Metallic BRZ

Drives: 1992 Corvette Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
anyone trading in a car for a pre-ordered BRZ or FRS is totally porked...when they offer you significantly less than your car is actually worth (which they are most definitely going to do) what are you going to do? you have almost no leverage...are you going to walk? Doubtful...
But if you choose to keep it and sell it yourself now you've got all the hassles that someone mentioned above to sell it on your own including having two sets of plates with the extra cost of getting new ones...car insurance on both cars until you sell the old one, etc...it bites...I've been agonizing over this for a little while...and there isn't a good or easy answer.
That's why I sold my truck already I actually got thousands more than expected. Always a good idea to separate the transactions if you can.

1992 Z07 Corvette
2008 Odyssey
2013 BRZ
Metallic BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote