follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Scoob

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Tire pressure of all-seasons

Hi all,

Just an FYI - when my FR-S came in, in early October, it came with all-season tires. When I was driving it the first few weeks the traction control was always chiming in and the back end was really squirrely. I thought it was the natural disposition of the car and was OK with that, but I thought it was more extreme than I was expecting.

After a few weeks my folks came to visit and my mom's car had a TPMS light, so I checked her pressures and adjusted accordingly. I decided it was time to look at mine on the FR-S and I found that all of the tires were set to 40 psi! Well that explained a lot! I adjusted the pressures to 35 psi and the car is now perfect - even on the all-season tires. That will be rectified in the spring with some new wheels and 255 Star Specs, but I thought I'd let everyone know about my experience in case anyone else has experienced the same but didn't think to check tire pressures. I haven't mentioned it to the dealership, but I assume that they came that way from Japan since I got it immediately off the truck.

Here's to more great driving weather! :happy0180:
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Mine were also set at 40. When I realized it I did a face palm IRL.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
Hi all,

Just an FYI - when my FR-S came in, in early October, it came with all-season tires. When I was driving it the first few weeks the traction control was always chiming in and the back end was really squirrely. I thought it was the natural disposition of the car and was OK with that, but I thought it was more extreme than I was expecting.

After a few weeks my folks came to visit and my mom's car had a TPMS light, so I checked her pressures and adjusted accordingly. I decided it was time to look at mine on the FR-S and I found that all of the tires were set to 40 psi! Well that explained a lot! I adjusted the pressures to 35 psi and the car is now perfect - even on the all-season tires. That will be rectified in the spring with some new wheels and 255 Star Specs, but I thought I'd let everyone know about my experience in case anyone else has experienced the same but didn't think to check tire pressures. I haven't mentioned it to the dealership, but I assume that they came that way from Japan since I got it immediately off the truck.

I'm pretty sure the dealer checks the tire pressure as part of their predelivery inspection. The only reason that I can think of for over pumping the tires is because the general population doesn't check their tire pressure on a regular basis. It's safer to over pump a little (within reason) than to under pump and get a flat.

Just a FYI, under normal driving conditions, it should be 35 psi when the tires are cold.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
rhysmcinerney

Drives: GT86 Auto
Whats wrong with 40?

Recommended is 35.

40 wont make that much of a difference?
rhysmcinerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmcinerney View Post
Whats wrong with 40?

Recommended is 35.

35 is the recommended optimal amount for the general population. In certain situations, you may want to be over or under 35.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Scoob

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As I said, 40 psi made the car overly touchy, with the traction control cutting in way too often.

I autocross a lot (really, a lot) and 5 psi makes a huge difference no matter what tire you're running. 5 psi too high on an all-season in the cold weather is asking for serious trouble.
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all,

yeah runnin' 40 instead of 35 "decreases" "rolling resistance" however you
DON'T want this condition in a snow covered road situation,as your grip will improve if the tires are set at the lower (p.s.i.) (softer rubber compound)
hence,the (all- season) designation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmcinerney View Post
Whats wrong with 40?

Recommended is 35.

it does make a difference. in winter conditions!

Quote:
As I said, 40 psi made the car overly touchy, with the traction control cutting in way too often.

I autocross a lot (really, a lot) and 5 psi makes a huge difference no matter what tire you're running. 5 psi too high on an all-season in the cold weather is asking for serious trouble.
this is "dead nuts" accurate! loss of traction ,and subsequent "grip" is a very
serious condition when driving on "snow-covered" roads.
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
UPSed

Drives: FRS
I was told in the past that they're over inflated for transportation purposes but yeah the dealer should set them right before you take delivery.
UPSed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Air pressure gauge

A 5psi difference could simply be the diff between someone using an inexpensive gauge instead of an accurate digital one. If you intend to do any serious driving, invest in a good gauge and never assume.....
PNW FRS is offline   Reply With Quote