follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2020, 12:56 AM   #29
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Didn't know the dummy light turns on at that low of a PSI. My dummy light always flickers when I brake (RPM drops for a split second) and sometimes it will turn on solid. I've left my car on to idle for about 10 minutes with the light fully on and my engine is still running fine..I'm boosted as well. I'm thinking my oil pressure sender switch is broken.
The warning is so low because oil pressure at idle can be under 5 psi with a fully warmed up engine on a hot day. I would know; I have a gauge. The oil is only 0w20 after all. I run 5w30 chiefly because all Subarus recommend 5w30 for turbocharged models.

It could be a bad switch, or it could be the real deal. Maybe your oil is getting too hot.
kev0 (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 01:12 AM   #30
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The warning is so low because oil pressure at idle can be under 5 psi with a fully warmed up engine on a hot day. I would know; I have a gauge. The oil is only 0w20 after all. I run 5w30 chiefly because all Subarus recommend 5w30 for turbocharged models.

It could be a bad switch, or it could be the real deal. Maybe your oil is getting too hot.
Yes! I've noticed that only 0W20 triggers the flicker. It doesn't do that with 5w30.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:12 AM   #31
kev0

Drives: '14
Quote:

Yes! I've noticed that only 0w20 triggers the flicker. It doesn't do that with 5w30.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:34 AM   #32
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
csg is right gauge are useless, they are just for esthetic

unless you have an output from them and you hook them to the ecu and set up custom map against low pressure
If that is the case then why have a gauge at all? All someone would need is a sensor to feed data to the ECU.

But you know what? I kind of disagree on the aesthetics argument too... that interior. Gauges do not a good interior make.

Then again, sometimes it does work out and looks great. Maybe oil pressure gauges do make good aesthetics...

Old 02-21-2020, 02:22 AM   #33
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSS View Post
The dummy light only activates around 2 psi or maybe it was 4 psi? Regardless its so low that it just about makes it pointless. As for the pressure on a gauge debate. Its personal preference. I'd rather have it. And the question of seeing it while going hard...

One could argue why run a boost gauge then? Who's looking at that gauge while driving hard? I run a Cravenspeed steering wheel mounted dash pod. I only run the left cup as it covers the mechanical speedometer (who looks at that one compared to the digital one in the center?) and use a 60mm Depo Racing 2 in 1 gauge. It reads boost with a needle display and displays oil pressure on an led display.

I figure if pressure drops suddenly the fast swing of the numbers will catch my attention if I'm on it hard.

But to each their own.
These are the only thing that "may" save "some" of your engine in the event of lost oil pressure.

Gauges look groovy, but as stated, when your balls to the wall mid corner, the last thing your going to look at is your gauges.

BUT, a big red light high up on your dash is something even the most possessed driver will see.

15-50 psi

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...e-1%2f8%22-NPT

The one I had in my Skyline worked a treat, once I painted it black, leaving only the small circle of red in the middle of the light, at idle the light stays on, mine was set to 30 psi IIRC, the time it did go off, mid corner at Wakefield Park, was when the RB spewed all of it's oil out of the head, into the catch can and finally onto the track.

The engine was saved miraculously, and I proceed to thrash it's guts after cleaning up, working out that I was an idiot, then refilling the oil.

It turned out the drain back line to the sump from the catch can had kinked after I took it out to clean the internal filter (stainless steel pot scrubbers) with some metho.

TL;DR bright light
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:30 AM   #34
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
That’s the typical argument against needing it, which is probably true, but I like the idea of having it. I don’t check it often during aggressive driving, but I do check it often when not aggressive driving. If oil loss was rapid then it would probably be useless like you are saying, but I could imagine someone getting a rock through their oil cooler or something resulting in loss at a rate that could be caught. The dummy light could work for that too I guess; manufacturers put it there at an expense for a reason. I know your opinion already on heavier weight oil, but I suppose someone with a different opinion could also use the pressure gauge to fine tune oil weight for their needs. Unnecessary for the op, but just saying.
A small leak that's leaking oil slowly won't result in a drop in pressure on your pressure gauge that you'd notice. Pressure is maintained, until the pickup starves from the oil being way too low, and then, you're still screwed.

How do you believe oil weight should be determined? Is too much pressure a bad thing?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:31 AM   #35
CSG Mike

Quote:
@CSG Mike

I should add that my aggressive driving stints around town or through some turns in the canyons are much shorter than your track sessions, so the intervals between checking my gauges are likely not as long as yours.
I check my readouts on average, every 3-10 seconds, on track.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:32 AM   #36
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSS View Post
The dummy light only activates around 2 psi or maybe it was 4 psi? Regardless its so low that it just about makes it pointless. As for the pressure on a gauge debate. Its personal preference. I'd rather have it. And the question of seeing it while going hard...

One could argue why run a boost gauge then? Who's looking at that gauge while driving hard? I run a Cravenspeed steering wheel mounted dash pod. I only run the left cup as it covers the mechanical speedometer (who looks at that one compared to the digital one in the center?) and use a 60mm Depo Racing 2 in 1 gauge. It reads boost with a needle display and displays oil pressure on an led display.

I figure if pressure drops suddenly the fast swing of the numbers will catch my attention if I'm on it hard.

But to each their own.
You'd notice the loss of boost immediately from a loss of power.

In the case of a turbo car, if you have a relatively minor boost leak, your boost gauge wouldn't show it, because your turbo will only work harder to make up for it.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:35 AM   #37
CSG Mike

Quote:
If that is the case then why have a gauge at all? All someone would need is a sensor to feed data to the ECU.

But you know what? I kind of disagree on the aesthetics argument too... that interior. Gauges do not a good interior make.

Then again, sometimes it does work out and looks great. Maybe oil pressure gauges do make good aesthetics...

Isn't it funny that the Porsche *street* cars have oil pressure gauges, and the the Porsche *race* cars don't?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (02-21-2020), tomm.brz (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:09 AM   #38
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,066 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:

yes. a sensor fed up to the ecu is much better than only a gauge
i have gauges, but only because I also feed their output up to the ecu and use them actively, otherwise... esthetic
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #39
jRuN

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Gauges make us all feel like we are fighter pilots..

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
jRuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #40
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Bluf for op: oil cooler and done.

ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #41
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jRuN View Post
Gauges make us all feel like we are fighter pilots..

Gauges in the dark let people know what my stock exhaust doesn't in traffic.
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #42
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
A small leak that's leaking oil slowly won't result in a drop in pressure on your pressure gauge that you'd notice. Pressure is maintained, until the pickup starves from the oil being way too low, and then, you're still screwed.

How do you believe oil weight should be determined? Is too much pressure a bad thing?
One time my wife's PT Cruiser (now has an Audi Q5) was due for an oil change and probably was a quart or more low. We were on a mountain pass doing aggressive driving to get home, and when corning the oil warning light would come on. I could imagine a pressure gauge working well to alert a driver to pressure drops in high speed cornering, especially in mild cornering if oil levels were getting low. My wife's Audi has a coolant warning light that alerted us that coolant was low. We didn't even know the coolant pump was leaking because there were no puddles, nor was there a smell and the leak slowly dropped the level in the reservoir by an inch or two every few days.

Too little pressure is a bad thing. Again, I know your opinion on heavier weight oil. I don't feel another debate is necessary here.

Quote:
I check my readouts on average, every 3-10 seconds, on track.
I see. I just assumed you didn't check them often while driving hard because of your question here:

Quote:
How often do you look at your gauges while driving hard?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=22

Quote:
Isn't it funny that the Porsche *street* cars have oil pressure gauges, and the the Porsche *race* cars don't?
Oh really? I see oil pressure there. Here is a Nascar article that applies to most modern dashes. I would be curious to know if racing teams have the ability to monitor the race cars remotely too, and with radio communication, relay vehicle measurements back to the driver. Regardless, Porsche race cars have had and do currently have "gauges".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ents/80341170/