follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
ELLSSUU

Drives: FR-S, 951, Venza, Accord, MDX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Valenti Revo LED burnout -- Repair?

Of course they are 13 months old and warrantied for 12 months. Disappointing for a $600 set of taillights.

One of the Turnsignal LEDs failed.

Anyone have success fixing these things?
ELLSSUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,162 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Search on YouTube, there was a guy that took apart the housing and had to re-solder a connection on the circuit board.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
ELLSSUU (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota GT86 MY19
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wich model? Revo or Jewel?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLSSUU View Post
Of course they are 13 months old and warrantied for 12 months. Disappointing for a $600 set of taillights.

One of the Turnsignal LEDs failed.

Anyone have success fixing these things?
I feel your pain, mine lasted 15 months before one of the LED's burned out. Now this is what I think about when I put in my blinker...
Attached Images

BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (02-17-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Led's have a very long lifespan. As BRZ said, it's most likely a bad solder joint.
fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,730 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx1mark View Post
Led's have a very long lifespan. As BRZ said, it's most likely a bad solder joint.
QUALITY led's have a long lifespan. garbage led's have garbage life spans.

a lot of valenti's lineup uses 5mm led's which are inherently poor led's for long term usage because the minimal 2-leg design can't wick away heat fast enough to keep the led die cool..

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #7
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Search on YouTube, there was a guy that took apart the housing and had to re-solder a connection on the circuit board.
is this the video you're thinking of?

holy cow, that's garbage...

hidplanet build log
Old 02-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #8
HaXx

Drives: boosted_brz
Valenti tail lights are really popular, and i love the way they look, but it seems that they are not too reliable? i have heard about water condensation getting in them, and now leds needing to be re soldered. is this just the 1% of people with problems complaining while the 99% are perfectly satisfied and quiet? or do they kinda have a reputation for being cheap? i really wanna get the ft86fw CBW editions, but im hesitant.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:24 AM   #9
ELLSSUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
Valenti tail lights are really popular, and i love the way they look, but it seems that they are not too reliable? i have heard about water condensation getting in them, and now leds needing to be re soldered. is this just the 1% of people with problems complaining while the 99% are perfectly satisfied and quiet? or do they kinda have a reputation for being cheap? i really wanna get the ft86fw CBW editions, but im hesitant.

The Revo's on my son's car are his second set of Valenti's. The first, not Revos, also had non-lighting LEDs. Honestly I wouldn't have bought these for him except for he really wanted them.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:31 AM   #10
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
everything that i've seen indicates that it's a good amount of issues with valenti's design and implementation. in that video i posted, the failure he had to fix was because they didn't fully solder the jumper wire to a solder pad--that was a heat issue, where they heated up the solder pad, but didn't allow the wire to heat, which caused the solder to donut around it but not actually stick to the wire.

i've been screwing around with led's and circuit boards for the past 15 years now, and i've never seen that kind of issue in an officially manufactured product--it should have never passed QC that way.

for what they charge, they're making an incredible amount of money using bargain basement materials and techniques..

hidplanet build log
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
ELLSSUU (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #11
ELLSSUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
everything that i've seen indicates that it's a good amount of issues with valenti's design and implementation. in that video i posted, the failure he had to fix was because they didn't fully solder the jumper wire to a solder pad--that was a heat issue, where they heated up the solder pad, but didn't allow the wire to heat, which caused the solder to donut around it but not actually stick to the wire.

i've been screwing around with led's and circuit boards for the past 15 years now, and i've never seen that kind of issue in an officially manufactured product--it should have never passed QC that way.

for what they charge, they're making an incredible amount of money using bargain basement materials and techniques..
Good info and thanks for input. I'll buy him some temp taillights and see if I can open these up and discover/fix the culprit. He is off at school so it'll be a few weeks before I can get them off the car.