follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-31-2017, 02:35 AM   #1
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Clutch Pedal Making [Rubber] Noise

What’s up guys.. I’ve been having a minor annoyance with the clutch pedal. I wasn’t able to find anything from past posts, so forgive me if this has been addressed already. The past couple of months I’ve been hearing my clutch pedal make a creak type noise when pressing and releasing. It happens when I begin to press and then right before my foot comes off the pedal. To me it sounds like a rubber on rubber noise. Dealer replaced the clutch pedal last month due to this, and for a couple days the sound was gone, but came back pretty quick. Not exactly sure where or what to check. I’d also like to note that this only happens once the car is completely warmed up. No sound on cold start or for the first 15-20 mins of driving.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:33 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh, it could be that the clutch fork needs a dab of grease ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (12-31-2017), strat61caster (01-11-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, it could be that the clutch fork needs a dab of grease ......

humfrz
I had a feeling this was probably what needed to be done.. I was just hoping it would be something more simple. Thank you. Any recommendations on what grease to use?
Old 12-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 View Post
I had a feeling this was probably what needed to be done.. I was just hoping it would be something more simple. Thank you. Any recommendations on what grease to use?
Pretty simple actually.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99578
DaBoBo21 (12-31-2017), Ultramaroon (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
humfrz

Quote:
I see ol @Tcoat got ya all fixed up .......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
Appreciate it, gents. @Tcoat @humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to DaBoBo21 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-31-2017)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
Hey fellas, checking back in. So the fork was fine. No issues there. Looks like it's just something within the pedal mechanism that needs to be lubricated. I have my 18 month service coming up in about 10 days, so I'll have the techs take a look at it since they did the work on it last.

Another rookie question...The last 4ish months, I've been hearing a hissing noise whenever I'm moving in gear. I brushed it off at first, but it's gotten more pronounced since the cooler weather rolled in. If I put it in neutral while moving the sound stops. Another thing that I think is related is when I'm shifting above 4K RPM I can hear the hissing a lot more (clutch in right before I ease in gas). Thought it was the intake with the cooler weather, but it got pretty warm down here the last couple of days and it made no difference. I deleted the sound generator tube (Mishimoto delete kit) thinking maybe it was engine noise, but that literally did nothing.

Pretty sure my TOB is perfectly fine (dealer replaced under TSB last April). I don't abuse the clutch at all either. I've been thinking it's either the pilot bearing, or a bearing on one of the shafts in the gear box. At times when I can really focus in on the hissing, you can almost hear a very slight rattle to it too (again, in gear, foot off the clutch). I also get that gear chatter noise on cold starts. Goes away when the car is completely warmed up. I have not checked the level of the transmission oil yet or checked for exhaust leaks either, FYI.

I haven't been able to get a good recording due to road noise and wind, so I won't be able to provide anything to you guys, unfortunately. Any ideas?

I wanted to touch base with you guys before going to the dealer about this. Just in case I'm looking too much into something that's normal. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #8
humfrz

Quote:
Hey fellas, checking back in. So the fork was fine. No issues there. Looks like it's just something within the pedal mechanism that needs to be lubricated. I have my 18 month service coming up in about 10 days, so I'll have the techs take a look at it since they did the work on it last.

Another rookie question...The last 4ish months, I've been hearing a hissing noise whenever I'm moving in gear. I brushed it off at first, but it's gotten more pronounced since the cooler weather rolled in. If I put it in neutral while moving the sound stops. Another thing that I think is related is when I'm shifting above 4K RPM I can hear the hissing a lot more (clutch in right before I ease in gas). Thought it was the intake with the cooler weather, but it got pretty warm down here the last couple of days and it made no difference. I deleted the sound generator tube (Mishimoto delete kit) thinking maybe it was engine noise, but that literally did nothing.

Pretty sure my TOB is perfectly fine (dealer replaced under TSB last April). I don't abuse the clutch at all either. I've been thinking it's either the pilot bearing, or a bearing on one of the shafts in the gear box. At times when I can really focus in on the hissing, you can almost hear a very slight rattle to it too (again, in gear, foot off the clutch). I also get that gear chatter noise on cold starts. Goes away when the car is completely warmed up. I have not checked the level of the transmission oil yet or checked for exhaust leaks either, FYI.

I haven't been able to get a good recording due to road noise and wind, so I won't be able to provide anything to you guys, unfortunately. Any ideas?

I wanted to touch base with you guys before going to the dealer about this. Just in case I'm looking too much into something that's normal. Thank you!
Well, DaBoBo21, thanks for the update.

About those sounds you hear, I suggest you buy, rent or borrow a .357 or .44 mag revolver and take it out and fire off a half a box of ammunition (without ear protection) and all those car sounds will ....... go away .....

Yep, check the transmission fluid level and for exhaust leaks.

I will summon our resident transmission/clutch noise expert @Ultramaroon for assistance. However, without a video, he doesn't like to speculate.

I hope you get it sorted out ....... or just get used to it ......

humfrz
DaBoBo21 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 AM   #9
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
If it's really annoying, keep working on getting a clip. Nothing jumps out for me.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
@humfrz @Ultramaroon I will work on getting a clip this afternoon.
humfrz (01-12-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
@Ultramaroon @humfrz I was not able to get a good clip for you :/. I wish I could explain it better.. it’s a faint hiss (maybe grind) noise when I’m in gear. You hear it more when shifting at high RPM, then it’s a consistent ‘hiss’ once foot is off the clutch foot on the gas.. I was thinking maybe pilot bearing.. maybe input shaft bearing.. I don’t think it’s the TOB, everything is quiet at idle.. I have an appointment with my dealership when I get back from TDY.. hopefully we can figure out what it is. Thank you anyway guys.
Ultramaroon (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
@Ultramaroon @humfrz I was not able to get a good clip for you :/. I wish I could explain it better.. it’s a faint hiss (maybe grind) noise when I’m in gear. You hear it more when shifting at high RPM, then it’s a consistent ‘hiss’ once foot is off the clutch foot on the gas.. I was thinking maybe pilot bearing.. maybe input shaft bearing.. I don’t think it’s the TOB, everything is quiet at idle.. I have an appointment with my dealership when I get back from TDY.. hopefully we can figure out what it is. Thank you anyway guys.
It's ok. Sorry we didn't have a decent idea.

When your foot is off of the clutch, the input shaft and crankshaft are spinning together. The pilot bearing does not roll then.

I damaged the input shaft side of my transmission a little bit from a no-lift shift. I don't know if I damaged the input shaft bearing, or the carriage, but it whines under load. I'm not saying that a manual won't ever hiss, just that I've never heard it.

Do you by chance have a header?

Keep us posted.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
humfrz

Quote:
TDY .... are you military .. ??

Have you checked the transmission oil level .. ?? Checked for exhaust leaks .. ??

I usually liked TDY ...... except for the 30 day TDY when I was attached to an armored cavalry squadron.

Yep, I spent 30 days in Germany, on or in the EDP (Emergency Defensive Positions) along the 5 K zone (a five kilometer wide band of ground between East and West Germany).

That in itself wouldn't have been all bad ...... except ...... there were two versions of where the boundaries were ....... the geographical border and the political border. Then, of course there were two interpretations ...... the Soviet side and this hair brained commander’s version, to which I was attached.

Since I was attached to his unit, he was in command. He thought that his M114s were tanks. NO ..... they were no match for a Soviet tank .....

Yep, with a top speed of 60 MPH they could outrun a Soviet tank ....... until it fired it's main gun ....... then ....poof ....... or you could return fire with the M-60 MG or .50 Cal MG. ....... which were good weapons but NOT anti-tank weapons.

THE END

(sorry, for the flashback)

humfrz
Attached Images

DaBoBo21 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
DaBoBo21
Brett

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It's ok. Sorry we didn't have a decent idea.

When your foot is off of the clutch, the input shaft and crankshaft are spinning together. The pilot bearing does not roll then.

I damaged the input shaft side of my transmission a little bit from a no-lift shift. I don't know if I damaged the input shaft bearing, or the carriage, but it whines under load. I'm not saying that a manual won't ever hiss, just that I've never heard it.

Do you by chance have a header?

Keep us posted.
No worries! Just trying to figure out what it is honestly..

All stock besides a catback.

And will do!
Ultramaroon (01-13-2018)