follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2023, 02:51 AM   #631
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I mean they show a side by side with a standard vehicle. The metal is considerably thicker. The Glock is shooting a 9mm round. That Tommy Gun is shooting a .45 cal round. The 9mm is moving faster than the .45, so power is about the same from both, which is why the indent is probably similar (more mass and slower vs less mass and slightly faster...E=1/2mv^2). They didn't bring a rifle to the party for good reason. Still, I'm sure a lot of people would rather have that door between them and a car impacting them.
I'm not a gun dude but there are different types of bullets. For all we know, they might have been shooting soft-tipped ones. Same with the drag race, it looked like an awfully short strip. And it's supremely easy to affect the outcome, especially in a non-controlled environment, and when you don't publish any figures.

There's also the fact that these trucks will probably fare pretty badly from a pedestrian safety stanpoint (one of the reasons it won't be sold in the EU). They may also make crashes worse for other cars. Last thing we need is a ****-waving contest in an unregulated corner of the automotive market. Then again, it was already happening before the Cybertruck, so..

Still, I kind of like this thing. All automakers describe their new products as blank sheet designs. This actually is one.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:00 AM   #632
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Red-86 (12-06-2023), Spuds (12-05-2023), Ultramaroon (12-05-2023), wbradley (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 10:52 AM   #633
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Same demographic that bought Hummers to drive to the mall.
Not completely. I've test driven a Hummer EV Pickup. It's a nice vehicle, and could easily replace our Suburban which we use all the time for Suburban size purposes. Sure, to some extent it's a "lifestyle" vehicle for most buyers, but i could put it to work except for the stupid price they are asking (probably required)

Haven't driven the CyberTruck, but from what I can see, I would pay for a top of the line Hummer before I would ever buy a bottom of the line CT.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 12-05-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 01:07 PM   #634
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The OG Hummer with engine in the cab and no pumpkins hanging out the bottom.
Fine for rock crawling and hunting in the wilderness, but like 62mph top speed.
Arnie got his for the publicity rather than utility in downtown Sacto.

H2 and Hwatevers were re-badged Tahoes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-05-2023), Spuds (12-05-2023), Ultramaroon (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 05:27 PM   #635
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
I'm not a gun dude but there are different types of bullets. For all we know, they might have been shooting soft-tipped ones.
I mean the bullets and boxes are on the table in the video, and they do a slowmo of the bullet fragments scattering, and Joe Rogan shot Musk's truck with his 80lb bow too. Unless they switched out the bullets and did some magic with video editing then I have no reason to not believe these results. The crash test footage is pretty impressive too.

The box says FMJ and bullets look consistent with a full metal jacket bullet and not some hollow point or some movie prop bullet, so it looks legit. There is no point in lying because people on YouTube will be shooting these things up.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/handg...ket-50-rounds/

Attached Images

Old 12-05-2023, 06:54 PM   #636
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
Same with the drag race, it looked like an awfully short strip. And it's supremely easy to affect the outcome, especially in a non-controlled environment, and when you don't publish any figures.
If we assume the worst Carrera in the best conditions then they would pair a base 911 C4 (heaviest) with a manual gear box (slowest) with a good driver on a good surface. These will do mid 12's on a prepped track with rollout subtracted.

The track looks legit. The times look legit in the video. The thing is the EV doesn't have shifting, and it makes all the torque instantly down low with its gearing, so it has all the advantage besides its weight. Add in a single axel aluminum trailer that is about 1000lbs (Source) and a 3,400lb Carrera, so say add 4,500lbs to a 6,800lb truck, and the total is 11k-12k pounds.

Interestingly, if we put into a 1/4 mile calculator the weight of a Tesla Plaid and its horsepower we get a low to mid 9 second quarter mile, which is what it does. If we put in the same horsepower and the 6,800lb Cybertruck then we get a high 10 second quarter mile, which it does. If we put in 11,000 pounds, we get something in the 12's, which beats the base Carrera, which is what it does, so everything seems reasonable to me.

The horsepower is less and torque is much more on the Cybertruck than the Plaid because of gearing, but it has a bigger battery at 125kWh'ish, so this seems entirely plausible to me. The quoted 845hp and 10,300tq (wheel torque) seems like numbers that reflect a shift in gearing, but the motors are likely similar to the 1020hp and 1050tq Model S Plaid with different gearing and a bigger battery, so overall, more power potential, so I don't doubt the numbers.

The Rivian has 835hp and 908tq, and Jason says it is 60lbs heavier than the Cybertruck, but the quoted weight difference from the manufactures is 250lbs, so I don't know if he did a real world weight, or if he messed up there. The 250lbs could justify the performance difference along with some differences in torque perhaps, but I feel like the capabilities of the truck is underrated or intentionally limited by the computers. We typically don't see the Plaid putting down the same times in the quarter mile after multiple attempts, as the battery is getting low, so it is possible the new 4680 cells and any extra cooling is doing better, or maybe the extra battery capacity is helping, or maybe they limited the performance in some way. Hard to know.

Attached Images

Old 12-05-2023, 10:15 PM   #637
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Sounds like a d*ck measuring contest to me.

What is a reasonable and safe rate of acceleration for a truck on public roads?

I think my current vehicle does around 7 seconds 0 to 60 and I'm ok with it. If I had gone electric I'd want range but leave the 2.9 s 0-60 times for people that dig that kinda stuff.

I do dig the 60's to early 70's muscle cars but my former ride, 2018 STI could probably beat a 69 GTO with 400 CID V8.. Aside from competition use, who really needs neck breaking acceleration? At what point does it go from responsive to dangerous?
If that's the rush you're after, go to an amusement park.

Get off my lawn you kids!
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 01:21 AM   #638
Irace86.2.0

You're describing the entire automotive industry and every manufacturer of a product. Pepsi/Coke, Apple/Samsung, Facebook/Twitter, etc., Bugatti/koenigsegg, Mustang/Camaro, etc. It's all a contest.

But really, why not? Needs it? No one needs it, but people want it. Only rich people should have access to this type of performance?

Porsche Turbo S 0-60 with 2S quarter mile speed with the utility of a truck for less than either. What's not to like about that?

This is probably one of the safest vehicles accelerating at that speed because of its weight.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:45 AM   #639
alex87f
Meow

Quote:
You're describing the entire automotive industry and every manufacturer of a product. Pepsi/Coke, Apple/Samsung, Facebook/Twitter, etc., Bugatti/koenigsegg, Mustang/Camaro, etc. It's all a contest.

But really, why not? Needs it? No one needs it, but people want it. Only rich people should have access to this type of performance?

Porsche Turbo S 0-60 with 2S quarter mile speed with the utility of a truck for less than either. What's not to like about that?

This is probably one of the safest vehicles accelerating at that speed because of its weight.
Until it meets another car..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-06-2023), Red-86 (12-06-2023), Ultramaroon (12-06-2023), wbradley (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 08:09 AM   #640
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
What is a reasonable and safe rate of acceleration for a truck on public roads?
I agree it's not needed and frankly is just a parlor trick for most folks. They'll utilize it once in a blue moon, and mostly to impress their friends and neighbors.

It really only has a minimal impact on range though, as long as you don't keep sticking your foot into it, pretty much like an ICE.

Cadillac, for example, has taken a different approach. The LYRIQ AWD has a 0-60 speed of a "glacial" 4.7 seconds because it is tuned to be a luxury car and not a top fuel dragster. It limits torque until the vehicle is moving (I think it's 30MPH) specifically to keep you from bouncing your passenger's heads off the head rest..

There is an option "V mode" that can be downloaded, for a cost, that removes some of that restriction, reducing the the time by more than a half second, and adding a good bit of torque at launch.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:11 AM   #641
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
That's funny, the comment regards to preventing the passenger's heads from bouncing off the headrests. Many comfortable luxurious vehicles still have lots of power despite their smoothness. My brother's BMW X3 M which has the Supra 382 HP in line six is initially it's a nice luxurious car, but whenever the driver feels like it they can cause you to fly back in your seat and or bounce your head off the headrest. Even driving with my friend in his Honda CRV this happens, whereas in my car and my driving style that's not going to be an issue. If you care about your passengers, then you want them to feel comfortable, not jostled.
Meanwhile, the Volvo is doing another software update, far more often than regular Android ever did but not an inconvenience.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:27 AM   #642
alex87f
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I agree it's not needed and frankly is just a parlor trick for most folks. They'll utilize it once in a blue moon, and mostly to impress their friends and neighbors.

It really only has a minimal impact on range though, as long as you don't keep sticking your foot into it, pretty much like an ICE.

Cadillac, for example, has taken a different approach. The LYRIQ AWD has a 0-60 speed of a "glacial" 4.7 seconds because it is tuned to be a luxury car and not a top fuel dragster. It limits torque until the vehicle is moving (I think it's 30MPH) specifically to keep you from bouncing your passenger's heads off the head rest..

There is an option "V mode" that can be downloaded, for a cost, that removes some of that restriction, reducing the the time by more than a half second, and adding a good bit of torque at launch.
I *think* the point of large motors in EVs is also the ability to harvest more energy under braking. And if it's there, you might as well make that power available under acceleration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-06-2023), wbradley (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:13 AM   #643
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post

Here comes the vehicular DLC........
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:32 AM   #644
alex87f
Meow

Quote:
If we assume the worst Carrera in the best conditions then they would pair a base 911 C4 (heaviest) with a manual gear box (slowest) with a good driver on a good surface. These will do mid 12's on a prepped track with rollout subtracted.

The track looks legit. The times look legit in the video. The thing is the EV doesn't have shifting, and it makes all the torque instantly down low with its gearing, so it has all the advantage besides its weight. Add in a single axel aluminum trailer that is about 1000lbs (Source) and a 3,400lb Carrera, so say add 4,500lbs to a 6,800lb truck, and the total is 11k-12k pounds.

Interestingly, if we put into a 1/4 mile calculator the weight of a Tesla Plaid and its horsepower we get a low to mid 9 second quarter mile, which is what it does. If we put in the same horsepower and the 6,800lb Cybertruck then we get a high 10 second quarter mile, which it does. If we put in 11,000 pounds, we get something in the 12's, which beats the base Carrera, which is what it does, so everything seems reasonable to me.

The horsepower is less and torque is much more on the Cybertruck than the Plaid because of gearing, but it has a bigger battery at 125kWh'ish, so this seems entirely plausible to me. The quoted 845hp and 10,300tq (wheel torque) seems like numbers that reflect a shift in gearing, but the motors are likely similar to the 1020hp and 1050tq Model S Plaid with different gearing and a bigger battery, so overall, more power potential, so I don't doubt the numbers.

The Rivian has 835hp and 908tq, and Jason says it is 60lbs heavier than the Cybertruck, but the quoted weight difference from the manufactures is 250lbs, so I don't know if he did a real world weight, or if he messed up there. The 250lbs could justify the performance difference along with some differences in torque perhaps, but I feel like the capabilities of the truck is underrated or intentionally limited by the computers. We typically don't see the Plaid putting down the same times in the quarter mile after multiple attempts, as the battery is getting low, so it is possible the new 4680 cells and any extra cooling is doing better, or maybe the extra battery capacity is helping, or maybe they limited the performance in some way. Hard to know.

C4 manuals don't exist, but I get your point.

Still, base RWD 992s can post 11.5s quarter mile times . That's within half a second of Tesla's claim for an unladen Cybertruck. That would mean adding 4 500 lbs behind one only reduce quarter mile by under a second? Seems awfully low.

Re the bullet proofing part, it's a cool party trick but couldn't they have made the thing lighter to get more range and reduce cost? Then again I think Musk had understood that party tricks actually move units...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-06-2023), Red-86 (12-06-2023)

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers