follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #15
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey there OP...sounds like your goals are to attain a "flush" look with a specific wheel model in mind. There's nothing wrong with this as your goal, and remember we all started somewhere on the path to gaining knowledge. I've learned a lot from reading on this forum and asking questions.

I would suggest going to the wheel directory forum and scroll down until you see the links/postings for the Gramlight 57DRs. Look for a fitment or "look" that you like and then ask the members that have posted what springs/suspension and tire specs they have. In many cases they will list this info in the post itself. Most folks are happy to share. Here's a link to that forum spot:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535

Good luck and post up picks of your setup once you get there!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #16
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alq View Post
I don't want to be a pro at knowing all the lingo, I just want my ride to look good. Is that not possible?
There's a LOT of variables here, including your personal tastes and NVH/performance sensitivity- which nobody else can tell you on this forum. Flat out.

I started where you are now not too long ago. A couple hours of research and then asking very specific, pointed questions, got me a more wholesome understanding of what's going on and how to build a setup. It really isn't that many things once you understand the basics of our style of suspension setup, what types of wheels and tires are common/available, and last (but most importantly) what goes into the alignment system and procedure to align one's car (I am now riding in a custom alignment and can safely say was the best $170 bucks I ever spent on my car).

It's not about lingo, it's about understanding what's going on. Sure, your ride can look good, but you're the one driving it day in and day out. If you go with a setup that you like the looks of, but can't stand the feel and performance, well you don' goofed and nobody to blame but yourself
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #17
ApolloSki
Stealth

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The best advice anyone can give you is to do your own research before making any decisions. Everyone started where you are and lucky for you, you don't need to do trial and error - its all been done already. The basics arent that difficult to learn and once you've gotten a grasp of what everything is and does, you can decide on how you want it.
This process will help you with all your future mod'ing.
ApolloSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #18
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alq View Post
I need help deciding on a lowering kit. I have it narrowed down to ST, Tein, and HKS. Does anyone have any preference over one or the other? HKS is the most expensive, but if I can get the same results with ST, Tein, I'm all for it.

Planning on: Gramlight 57DR 17.9 with perrin spacers 30mm front and 25mm back (or is it the other way around?)

These are the ones I am considering.
ST: model # 90888
Tein Street flex: model # GSQ54-51SS1
HKS Hipermax IV GT: model # 80230-AT001

Goals: I want pretty flush, maybe an 1" drop, but not have to worry about rubbing, and I want the full tire showing, not inside the wheel well.

Thanks for the help,
Alq
It sounds like you just want a drop, and not much more. Get the Street flex; they're on closeout right now.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote