follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ford Just Unveiled A Fusion That Weighs As Little As A Fiesta

Impressive.
http://jalopnik.com/ford-just-unveil...-fi-1585576176
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqFgj6zfHso"]Ford Unveils Ultra-Lightweight Concept Car - YouTube[/ame]

The only thing here i don't see going into a production car is those skinny tires, that's...a bit much.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Impressive.
http://jalopnik.com/ford-just-unveil...-fi-1585576176

The only thing here i don't see going into a production car is those skinny tires, that's...a bit much.
Out of a carbon fiber oil pan, carbon fiber wheels, composite springs, aluminum brake rotor and the thing that strikes you as something that wont make it to production is the fact it has skinny tires?

This is nothing different than the first gen Insight. A design experiment to see exactly how far they can push the envelop and make a full size vehicle that actually gets respectable fuel mileage. Honestly I hope all these techs make it to market as its going to have effects in the sports car world as well.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
skinny tires = less rolling resistance :P
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Out of a carbon fiber oil pan, carbon fiber wheels, composite springs, aluminum brake rotor and the thing that strikes you as something that wont make it to production is the fact it has skinny tires?

This is nothing different than the first gen Insight. A design experiment to see exactly how far they can push the envelop and make a full size vehicle that actually gets respectable fuel mileage. Honestly I hope all these techs make it to market as its going to have effects in the sports car world as well.
Of course, the 4C has a carbon fiber chassis and that's coming to the states.

If my memory serves me right, there was a time where cars has composite leaf springs, no?

I had a good friend who works a Nissan dealership, the most common complaint of people not wanting to buy a Nissan Versa is that the tires look skinny and dangerous. I think they
changed them now.

Ford has taken from their concepts and put the tech and design into future production cars.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
skinny tires = less rolling resistance :P
Also less air resistance
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
Also less air resistance
Also better to slice pizza with.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Davey For This Useful Post:
chrisl (06-04-2014), JustBoostin (06-04-2014), OrbitalEllipses (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Of course, the 4C has a carbon fiber chassis and that's coming to the states.

If my memory serves me right, there was a time where cars has composite leaf springs, no?

I had a good friend who works a Nissan dealership, the most common complaint of people not wanting to buy a Nissan Versa is that the tires look skinny and dangerous. I think they
changed them now.

Ford has taken from their concepts and put the tech and design into future production cars.
Its a bit unfair to compare a $70,000 car to a $20,000 commuter sedan no? Mclaren and Koenigsegg also make heavy use of carbon fiber but that doesn't mean its ready for use on a mass produced car.

The corvette uses composite leaf springs.

Basically I was saying that skinny tires play a huge role in fuel economy. Look at the first generation Honda Insight, or the VW XL1, or Honda CRX Vf. All of these cars have super skinny tires for one reason, fuel economy. Obviously this car is a experiment in how high they can push the technology envelop to develop a super high FE vehicle. Super skinny tires seems like a much more realistic feature to bring to a mass produced car like that than carbon fiber wheels.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Actually skinny tires can have more rolling resistance since the tread gets stretched around more from the higher loads, but the decrease in air resistance is huge. Ever wonder why supercars with their carefully formed bodies have huge amounts of drag even in the absence of wings?
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
They're talking about a 2,600 lb Fusion.

Give me a 2,000 lb Fiesta ST!

Edit: Scratch that, Fusion weighed ~3,600 lbs, Fiesta weighs about 2,600. There's no way they didn't sacrifice the interior to meet that, dropping 1,000 lbs is absurd unless they readily admit they no longer meet crash safety standards.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Malt (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Actually skinny tires can have more rolling resistance since the tread gets stretched around more from the higher loads, but the decrease in air resistance is huge. Ever wonder why supercars with their carefully formed bodies have huge amounts of drag even in the absence of wings?
The frontal area of the vehicles body obviously plays a much larger role in the Cd of the vehicle than the tires do. Skinny tires don't have more rolling resistance if the load rating of the tires is balanced to the vehicle its used on.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
The frontal area of the vehicles body obviously plays a much larger role in the Cd of the vehicle than the tires do. Skinny tires don't have more rolling resistance if the load rating of the tires is balanced to the vehicle its used on.
The vehicle's body is much bigger than the tires, but the tires have much higher Cd than the rest of the body. If you don't think tires and wheels add a lot of drag, you might want to think again. Adding 1 inch to the width of the tires between Porsche S and non-S Carrera models adds 4% more drag to the whole car. That's only a frontal area increase of 0.5%. A perfectly streamlined car body with no wheels would have less than 0.1 Cd, but perfectly streamlined cars with wheels have achieved at best 2 times that, and these are skinnier tires than a stock Prius has.

The hysteresis in the tires will be higher if the tire compound is the same and the tread thickness/pattern is the same. Thinner tread like on a bicycle will decrease your rolling resistance, but car tires don't come much thinner from the factory.
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (06-05-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Malt

Quote:
The vehicle's body is much bigger than the tires, but the tires have much higher Cd than the rest of the body. If you don't think tires and wheels add a lot of drag, you might want to think again. Adding 1 inch to the width of the tires between Porsche S and non-S Carrera models adds 4% more drag to the whole car. That's only a frontal area increase of 0.5%. A perfectly streamlined car body with no wheels would have less than 0.1 Cd, but perfectly streamlined cars with wheels have achieved at best 2 times that, and these are skinnier tires than a stock Prius has.

The hysteresis in the tires will be higher if the tire compound is the same and the tread thickness/pattern is the same. Thinner tread like on a bicycle will decrease your rolling resistance, but car tires don't come much thinner from the factory.
Of course tires add to drag, which is exactly why I said skinny tires were used not only for reduction in in drag but rolling resistance, but a vehicles bodys Cd is different the the rolling resistance of the tires. Obviously the resistance to rolling adds to the resistance the vehicle needs to overcome to achieve forward motion. Tread compounds can be optimized from fuel economy as opposed to traction or cornering performance, which is what you typically find in LRR tires. I think its also important to consider the fact that LRR is a subjective term and its dependent on the tire size. There's been several cars that reached lower than .20 Cd. albet only two really made it to "production".

I imagine there are not many people who are active on this forum have a firm grasp of what it takes/have experience with high fuel economy driving. Ford producing a car like this not only makes it easier to achieve high FE in the hand of the average driver, the trickle down effect it has on the rest of the automotive industry is a good thing. Who would argue with getting carbon fiber wheels or a carbon fiber chassis standard on their BRZ? These things are out of reach currently due to the cost associated with fuel scale production of carbon fiber parts but hopefully in the not to distant future we'll see this making it down to the realm of normal cars.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
serialk11r

Garage
,I'm just saying, the wheels/tires account for about 0.1 of the Cd of the whole car, sometimes more, and it's not correct to say that the body has a "much bigger effect".

Yes tread compounds can be optimized but if you make the tire bigger, the contact patch will experience less hysteresis loss on the same compound. Of course the extra weight and drag negate the slight benefit.

Aluminum rotor is a little questionable but probably okay for an everyday car. On the track though you'd soften them and rip them to shreds pretty fast. Probably better to stick with cast iron, might be possible to do aluminum cooling fins on cast iron disks with supporting steel core.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
Malt

Quote:
,I'm just saying, the wheels/tires account for about 0.1 of the Cd of the whole car, sometimes more, and it's not correct to say that the body has a "much bigger effect".

Yes tread compounds can be optimized but if you make the tire bigger, the contact patch will experience less hysteresis loss on the same compound. Of course the extra weight and drag negate the slight benefit.

Aluminum rotor is a little questionable but probably okay for an everyday car. On the track though you'd soften them and rip them to shreds pretty fast. Probably better to stick with cast iron, might be possible to do aluminum cooling fins on cast iron disks with supporting steel core.
I'd really rather not argue about something as trivial as this but you are incorrect. Rolling resistance is a completely separate form of resistance from coefficient of drag and you are off by quite a bit on the amount of resistance tires actually have. Rolling resistance accounts for roughly 0.01 for a normal tire on concrete. LRR tires are less than that figure. Hypermilers for years have been jacking up their tire pressures to get that figure even lower.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling...cient_examples and http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ower-6341.html if you need further proof.