follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2019, 12:36 AM   #3613
GenRuleAThumb

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Questions about prepping car for track.

Currently running ST coilovers Just picked up a set of SPL LCA's. Toe arms will be ordered shortly. I know better coilovers will help with adjustable damping but that wont be till later this year. I have another 1k or so budget left for suspension this month and hoping to dial in a good suspension setup. This will be my first time on a real track, been doing autoX as a hobby for the past couple years. Finally able to go full track as this is no longer my daily. Car has JRSC, sitting on 255's

What should i be looking for for an alignment specs. How much camber? front back and toe? Thanks for any help, really looking for a good starting point
GenRuleAThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 AM   #3614
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Imho you can start for track alignment -3dg front camber, -2.5 rear camber, zero front toe, +0.15dg total rear toe-in. But different tires and different aero mods may need different optimal camber, so camber is best dialed depending from pirometer tire temp readings.
Also i guess that HPDE will load brakes much more then auto-x, thus you may also need upgrade pads & fluid.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #3615
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenRuleAThumb View Post

Currently running ST coilovers Just picked up a set of SPL LCA's. Toe arms will be ordered shortly. I know better coilovers will help with adjustable damping but that wont be till later this year. I have another 1k or so budget left for suspension this month and hoping to dial in a good suspension setup. This will be my first time on a real track, been doing autoX as a hobby for the past couple years. Finally able to go full track as this is no longer my daily. Car has JRSC, sitting on 255's

What should i be looking for for an alignment specs. How much camber? front back and toe? Thanks for any help, really looking for a good starting point
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Imho you can start for track alignment -3dg front camber, -2.5 rear camber, zero front toe, +0.15dg total rear toe-in. But different tires and different aero mods may need different optimal camber, so camber is best dialed depending from pirometer tire temp readings.
Also i guess that HPDE will load brakes much more then auto-x, thus you may also need upgrade pads & fluid.
^These are the most common alignment specs I see mentioned around here. I'd agree and say that's a good place to start. Depending on your confidence going into your first track days, you may not find you're utilizing the whole tire at those camber levels, so if you side on slightly less camber, that'd be fine too.

But, absolutely make sure your brakes are up to snuff. DOT4 fluid and track pads of your choosing.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #3616
BA9092
Captain Slow

Drives: '18 BRZ Limited PP 6MT ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaatLuk View Post
I posted this question in the other thread regarding the USDM STI springs but couldn't get a clear answer, I am re-posting it here. I apologize in advance for being redundant.

Why are the USDM STI springs (B2010CA000) "not applicable to Limited with Performance Package"?

We know the lowering springs such as the RCE yellows have not changed over the years and they work well with the PP Sachs dampers. Following that logic, why wouldn't the USDM STI springs work well with or be "applicable to" the Sachs dampers?
Good question, @BaatLuk, I was wondering the same thing...
BA9092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #3617
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenRuleAThumb View Post

What kind of tires?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #3618
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA9092 View Post
Good question, @BaatLuk, I was wondering the same thing...
Honestly...I'm sure they work just fine with either damper. It's too bad STI never releases their spring rates though.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #3619
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadotracker View Post
What is the length of the oem strut compared to the KW v3? I've been looking online and the forums and haven't found anything solid as to the OEM strut length measurement.
Which measurement are you looking for specifically?

- Andrew
Old 02-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #3620
KevBRZ

Drives: 15BRZ
re: Front sway bar

answered

Last edited by KevBRZ; 05-09-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: answered
KevBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #3621
BA9092
Captain Slow

Alignment after RCE yellows (with camber bolts and adjustable rear LCA) - Good enough?

A couple of weeks ago, I installed the RCE yellow springs on my '18 PP BRZ. I also purchased and installed the SPC camber bolts and SPC rear LCAs since they've been recommended to "dial back" the alignment within specs.

I LOVE the way they ride and how the car handles now even more than before! I thought they'd be a bit stiff, but I think they're just right pairing with the SACHS.

Now, last week I went for an alignment. This is a reputable shop and the shop owner did the alignment himself in just over 2 hours. He said the front is fine but wouldn't result in more negative camber without camber plates and that the rear was "fine" for DD.

With the camber bolts in the front and a 20mm (.08") drop from the RCE yellows, the max negative camber the shop was able to get was -1.5 on both sides with 0 toe. I was hoping for -2.0. Is there any way to get more negative camber without moving to camber plates or is -1.5 sufficient for DD?

The rear resulted in a slight more puzzling setting. I was hoping for 1/16" total toe in but the shop had it set up in degrees: .08 degrees. Not sure how that compares since everywhere I've searched for a degree-to-inches conversion yielded in different numbers and results.

The rear LCAs helped bring the camber back a bit, but not enough. My left rear shows -1.3 and my right rear shows -1.8. Quite the difference. I was hoping for more adjustability with the LCAs.

Anyone know or have any experience with the rear toe arms? Would a set of adjustable SPC toe arms benefit in further adjustability in the rear to even out the camber between left and right or am I splitting hairs on a DD at this point?

(I apologize if this has been answered somewhere before, but I literally spent the last 3 days searching and reading countless threads and couldn't find a straight answer.)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #3622
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
^ Find a new shop.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
wparsons (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #3623
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Alignment after RCE yellows (with camber bolts and adjustable rear LCA) - Good enough?

A couple of weeks ago, I installed the RCE yellow springs on my '18 PP BRZ. I also purchased and installed the SPC camber bolts and SPC rear LCAs since they've been recommended to "dial back" the alignment within specs.

I LOVE the way they ride and how the car handles now even more than before! I thought they'd be a bit stiff, but I think they're just right pairing with the SACHS.

Now, last week I went for an alignment. This is a reputable shop and the shop owner did the alignment himself in just over 2 hours. He said the front is fine but wouldn't result in more negative camber without camber plates and that the rear was "fine" for DD.

With the camber bolts in the front and a 20mm (.08") drop from the RCE yellows, the max negative camber the shop was able to get was -1.5 on both sides with 0 toe. I was hoping for -2.0. Is there any way to get more negative camber without moving to camber plates or is -1.5 sufficient for DD?

The rear resulted in a slight more puzzling setting. I was hoping for 1/16" total toe in but the shop had it set up in degrees: .08 degrees. Not sure how that compares since everywhere I've searched for a degree-to-inches conversion yielded in different numbers and results.

The rear LCAs helped bring the camber back a bit, but not enough. My left rear shows -1.3 and my right rear shows -1.8. Quite the difference. I was hoping for more adjustability with the LCAs.

Anyone know or have any experience with the rear toe arms? Would a set of adjustable SPC toe arms benefit in further adjustability in the rear to even out the camber between left and right or am I splitting hairs on a DD at this point?

(I apologize if this has been answered somewhere before, but I literally spent the last 3 days searching and reading countless threads and couldn't find a straight answer.)
There are other front camber options available here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103609

In terms of the rear something seems off there. Did they give you a printout showing the before specs as well?

You shouldn't need toe arms. .08 is minimal and getting it exactly .00 isn't something all shops are willing to do since it takes a ton of time to get exact camber/toe specs and most people don't really care. Sounds like they did decent but you could probably find better next time. BTW is that total toe or each side?

For a DD I wouldn't worry too much. No reason to really have a bunch of camber for a car that isn't driven hard. Zero toe is best for tire life though.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #3624
BA9092
Captain Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
There are other front camber options available here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103609

In terms of the rear something seems off there. Did they give you a printout showing the before specs as well?

You shouldn't need toe arms. .08 is minimal and getting it exactly .00 isn't something all shops are willing to do since it takes a ton of time to get exact camber/toe specs and most people don't really care. Sounds like they did decent but you could probably find better next time. BTW is that total toe or each side?

For a DD I wouldn't worry too much. No reason to really have a bunch of camber for a car that isn't driven hard. Zero toe is best for tire life though.
Thank you for your input and for that link on the front camber options!

I've attached the rear section of the printout below.

The before specs will be way off since I installed the LCAs myself in my garaged and "eyeballed" the rear camber adjustments just so I can get it to the shop for the alignment.

I was hoping for 1/32" toe in on each side in the rear and an even camber between -1.2 and -1.5 in the rear. Nothing too crazy since it won't see much track time - at least this year anyway.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #3625
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank you for your input and for that link on the front camber options!

I've attached the rear section of the printout below.

The before specs will be way off since I installed the LCAs myself in my garaged and "eyeballed" the rear camber adjustments just so I can get it to the shop for the alignment.

I was hoping for 1/32" toe in on each side in the rear and an even camber between -1.2 and -1.5 in the rear. Nothing too crazy since it won't see much track time - at least this year anyway.
The toe is fine imo.

There is no reason they shouldn't have gotten the camber where you wanted seeing this. It's OK for now as a DD imo, but I would find a new place next time you get an alignment. Shouldn't wear bad but just rotate your tires like you should and it won't be any worry at all.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 04-10-2019 at 05:00 PM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #3626
BA9092
Captain Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
^ Find a new shop.
Growler Motor Labs in Plano, TX. They were very well recommended and have lots of experience with the twins and WRX platforms.

Any recommendations?