follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #15
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4E View Post
Nice, do you have a video?
I've been meaning to take a quick cell phone video, I'll see if I can get it done tonight.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #16
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks. Just for imagination, these two setups I found are probably the best so far:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1hgwwSiGQ"]FR-S + JDL EL catted + Nameless + Perrin catback: Drive-Bys - YouTube[/ame]

- but he said there is a bit drone

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqI8DnKeuvU"]Scion FR-S with full exhaust in tunnel Los Virgenes Canyon Malibu CA - YouTube[/ame]

- but this video seems faster than 1:1 so the sound is probably different
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, this is frustrating, and even vendors who have the full exhaust parts individually doesn't provide how they perform together. I guess it is hard to do well, so they give up. I have checked Apexi but doesn't it sound like stock? Remember that I want a little sound from that car. Also no CAT and is a Apexi EL dyno available?
Dyno and more info:
http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/index...cion-fr-s.html

As for why it's frustrating, it shouldn't come as any surprise. You're trying to reverse engineer what OEM engineers spent months doing: tune out unwanted noises and meet power/emissions/economy guidelines as set forth by project goals and regulations.

I suggested Apex'i purely because it now gives you the option of running whatever exhaust you wanted to achieve the sound you seek, without sacrificing performance (i.e. with stock front pipe).

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
JDM4E (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #18
Wusaa

Drives: 2013 BRZ ;2004 RX8 GT (SOLD)
I personally want my car to be as quiet as possible after owning a catback with drone.
My current setup is
Tomei EL
Custom T1r catted front pipe (100cell)
Stock everything.

Stock catback does have abit rasp with this setup. Right now it is really quiet during idle and it roars when u put ur foot to the floor.
I might look into getting an axleback in the future.

example of sound:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZQaZU5e_Ts"]UBCSCC Autox - 2016/09/25 - Personal Best - YouTube[/ame]
Wusaa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wusaa For This Useful Post:
JDM4E (10-05-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #19
bfrank1972

ok here is my amateur attempt at capturing my setup

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
JDM4E (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #20
JDM4E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusaa View Post
I personally want my car to be as quiet as possible after owning a catback with drone.
I am happy that I am not alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
ok here is my amateur attempt at capturing my setup
Thanks! It seems it sounds good.

@mav1178 Thanks. That apexi setup has one 130cel cat. I don't believe that that doesn't smell, when people reporting smell even with 200 cels. And is that dyno tuned? Because the gains are about half of what other ELs can do.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDM4E For This Useful Post:
Wusaa (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #21
bfrank1972

Quote:
I am happy that I am not alone

Thanks! It seems it sounds good.

@mav1178 Thanks. That apexi setup has one 130cel cat. I don't believe that that doesn't smell, when people reporting smell even with 200 cels. And is that dyno tuned? Because the gains are about half of what other ELs can do.
Yeah I think so too, sounds better/deeper in person. Has a nice subtle howl under load over 5k too. Honestly this setup has two cats (high flow in the header and stock fp) and it still smells a bit more than stock when cold -nothing terrible though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Question for you which would sway my answer.....are you going to run FlexFuel/E85 or strictly pump gas? If you're going to be sticking with a Naturally Aspirated setup on pump then going with a catted header will be a huge compromise as that is pretty much almost all of you what you stand to gain. But, if you will be tuned for ethanol then that will get you to third base so to speak as far as N/A performance gains. This is what I suggest;

Header:
See comments above. Do not opt for catted, leave the factory exhaust in further downstream if noise level is that important to you. This will save you a pretty penny in the process. Tomei headers are loud due to thin pipe walls.

Front Pipe:
Stock or anything with a cat in them. From what I've seen they're all similar in tone. Berk frontpipes, even HFC, seem to be loud as the walls of the pipes are pretty thin.

Catback:
Blitz Nur Spec C-TI
Invida Q300
Perrin Resonated
Milltek
Greddy Supreme SP
HKS Legamax
Stock and just get some tips
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
bfrank1972

Not entirely true, a well designed header with a high flow cat has a pretty small impact on overall flow and helps dampen rasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Question for you which would sway my answer.....are you going to run FlexFuel/E85 or strictly pump gas? If you're going to be sticking with a Naturally Aspirated setup on pump then going with a catted header will be a huge compromise as that is pretty much almost all of you what you stand to gain. But, if you will be tuned for ethanol then that will get you to third base so to speak as far as N/A performance gains. This is what I suggest;

Header:
See comments above. Do not opt for catted, leave the factory exhaust in further downstream if noise level is that important to you. This will save you a pretty penny in the process. Tomei headers are loud due to thin pipe walls.

Front Pipe:
Stock or anything with a cat in them. From what I've seen they're all similar in tone. Berk frontpipes, even HFC, seem to be loud as the walls of the pipes are pretty thin.

Catback:
Blitz Nur Spec C-TI
Invida Q300
Perrin Resonated
Milltek
Greddy Supreme SP
HKS Legamax
Stock and just get some tips
Old 10-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #24
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

I have no idea what the dyno is about, you may want to ask Apex'i.

You can believe what you want about smell and what others have reported. The facts are this:
  • Apex'i setup is street legal in Japan
  • Apex'i provides a chart of what the emissions readout is from the tailipipe to meet emissions standards
  • "smell" is highly dependent on how you tune your car.

There's a lot of questions you want to find out, I would suggest you start with Apex'i first. All I can tell you is that the car that has the Apex'i header setup is sitting about 100m away from me right now, and it doesn't smell during normal driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post

Header:

Front Pipe:
OP is in Europe, E85 isn't high on their list.

Having said that...

Having (or not having a catalytic converter) in your front pipe is not what determines the sound of the entire system. It's the resonator(s) and whether the volume of the resonators work well with the rest of the exhaust to suppress sound at certain frequencies.

I drove an entirely catless setup (Tomei UEL, Tomei OP, Fujitsubo FP, Blitz VSR catback) from LA to Austin, ran at COTA, and drove back to LA. It had no drone, it sounded great under WOT, it sometimes smelled, and it was otherwise uneventful.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #25
JDM4E

@Amputechture as @bfrank1972 said, it is not just about the cat. Also it is true that I am not interested in E85, we have RON101 here so I will stick with that.

@mav1178 ok thanks for your input.

I just red, that @P&L Motorsports has thicker walls than others. That might be cool, because they have EL catted too.