follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2023, 03:02 AM   #491
TurboLag23

Drives: 2018 BRZ w/Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
That's a strange combination of facts and conclusions.
Given that you use PS4Ss, I presume you mostly do autox for fun, not competitively?

Back when I had a gen1 with CSG FLAs and finally switched to 200tw tires for autox, I quickly found the suspension to be too soft. The body had a lot more rolling, squatting and diving than the top cars.
My results improved once I switched to a stiffer setup.

FLAs can definitely handle casual autox, but I wouldn't call them "well-sprung" or "phenomenal" for autox in general.
Yes, I do autocross mostly for fun - although I am considering attempting to get to SCCA Nationals for the 2024-2025 season.

If stiffness was really an issue for you, that probably just means that the spring rates (which dictate total articulation under "static" loading scenarios such as front-end dive under heavy braking, outside-front compression mid-corner, etc.) were too soft for your preference. Personally, I've found them to be totally fine... but that's the fun thing about preference - there is no right answer!

If I get to the point where my preferences change to more closely match yours - either because of 200TW tires or because of a change in my driving - I'll just upgrade to a stiffer set of springs. Or if I'm satisfied with dive/squat properties and I just want roll reduction, I'll upgrade the stock sway bars to aftermarket bars that maintain the current front:rear stiffness ratio while being stiffer overall (probably the Perrin ones). Or if I just want to control front-end dive I'll get the Jackson Racing Anti-Dive Kit. Or if I want to control rear-end squat I'll get the MCA Traction Mod.

Regardless - my plan has been (and will continue to be) to make "unprompted" changes (ex: going from stock suspension to coilovers, going from PS4S to 200TW tires, etc.) one at a time, then adjust the car to my liking based on that one change. Although my wallet would definitely prefer I just leave it the hell alone at this point
TurboLag23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 10:00 PM   #492
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If you intend on being in stx when you head to Nats those geometry changes aren’t legal.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (11-09-2023)