follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
JayNutter
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android, bluetooth, Music, and the FR-S stock pioneer stereo

This thread if for information regarding how well certain Android apps work through bluetooth with the stock FR-S Pioneer head unit. Please feel free to give input and I will edit this accordingly. The information is based on a Motorola Droid Razr.

STREAMING MUSIC APPS

Pandora
Good: Can skip songs forward.
Bad: Can't pause, can't adjust volume on stereo, and does not display song information. Display will flash "PAUSED" during use.
Info: Basic create stations by choosing a song/artist and it will play similar music. Can select music by genre. No live radio stations. Ads are annoying, but infrequent. Adjust artist/song match with simple like and unlike buttons for songs.

Slacker Radio
Good: Same as Pandora
Bad: Same as Pandora
Info: Same as Pandora. Don't remember hearing ads, but only tested for a limited amount of time.

iHeartRadio
Good: Can skip songs forward. Can adjust stations to narrow or broaden artist/song matching.
Bad: Can't adjust volume on stereo, and does not produce artist information. Same functionality as Pandora except it does not flash "PAUSED." Songs appear to cycle more frequently than Pandora.
Info: Live stations (music, news, talk, and sports), and create your own (similar to Pandora). Can select music by genre. No ads experienced yet. Adjust artist/song match with simple like and unlike buttons for songs.

TunedIn Radio - will be reviewing soon
Good:
Bad:
Info: Live radio broadcasts only that includes music, news, talk, and sports.

Last.fm - will be reviewing soon
Good:
Bad:
Info:

MUSIC ON THE PHONE APPS

My Music (Motorola App)
Good: Fully functioning app through stereo. Can pause, skip, backtrack, and adjust volume on stereo. Full display of music and artist information.
Bad: Slow to start at times.
Info: Plays music stored on the phone, and can purchase music through the store. Internet stations also available.

Play Music (Google App)
Good: Allows skipping tracks forward.
Bad: Does not display song and artist information. Does not offer same functionality as My Music Motorola app.
Info: Plays music stored on the phone, and can purchase music through the Play store.

GoneMad - will be reviewing soon
Good:
Bad:
Info:

MUSIC ON THE CLOUD APPS

??????

Last edited by JayNutter; 12-31-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: adding info
JayNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
TofuDelivery

Drives: FR-S MT lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
nice thread. im not sure if anyone can answer this but is there a setting for audio controls for bluetooth android syncing?? i had a galaxy S3 for my FRS, and with bluetooth i was able to play music, show song titles and artists, control skipping next and back tracks, control volume on car controls, etc. BUT i just got a HTC Droid DNA recently and bluetooth works but i CANNOT do any of those things anymore with my car. i cant control volume from my car which is the most frustrating.

im wondering if its just a HTC vs Samsung thing which just behaves differently because of the two diff manufacturers, or is it a setting that i accidentally hit on the stock pioneer audio system. any info would be great!! thanks

oh also, im using the stock "Play Music" google app that comes with all android phones.
TofuDelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuDelivery View Post
nice thread. im not sure if anyone can answer this but is there a setting for audio controls for bluetooth android syncing?? i had a galaxy S3 for my FRS, and with bluetooth i was able to play music, show song titles and artists, control skipping next and back tracks, control volume on car controls, etc. BUT i just got a HTC Droid DNA recently and bluetooth works but i CANNOT do any of those things anymore with my car. i cant control volume from my car which is the most frustrating.

im wondering if its just a HTC vs Samsung thing which just behaves differently because of the two diff manufacturers, or is it a setting that i accidentally hit on the stock pioneer audio system. any info would be great!! thanks

oh also, im using the stock "Play Music" google app that comes with all android phones.
i have an HTC Rezound and although i can't see song artist/track details, everything else works fine
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
RMStringer

Drives: Scion FR-s Pearl White 6 Speed
Send a message via ICQ to RMStringer Send a message via Yahoo to RMStringer
I use GoneMad player on Droid and i get streaming and i can pause.stop but that is it.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
JayNutter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMStringer View Post
I use GoneMad player on Droid and i get streaming and i can pause.stop but that is it.
I will add this player to the review soon. Can you tell me what type of music player this is? (i.e. streaming music stations, playing saved music on the phone, streaming saved music from the cloud).
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Apollo (Music player included in CyanogenMod) has identical functionality to Google Play, can skip forward but no pause, no artist information, and occasional flashing "pause" even while playing.

This is on an otherwise stock Droid Razr.

If we could figure out how to make volume work with any music player I would be SO happy. I get really irritated having to fumble with my phone to adjust volume. Interestingly, if you turn the radio off and back on and quickly adjust the volume, it will allow a one time volume adjustment before locking it out again. Why would the volume adjustment even be related to the bluetooth? I see no reason for the radio to even involve the phone in that for music playing.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
JayNutter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
Apollo (Music player included in CyanogenMod) has identical functionality to Google Play, can skip forward but no pause, no artist information, and occasional flashing "pause" even while playing.

This is on an otherwise stock Droid Razr.

If we could figure out how to make volume work with any music player I would be SO happy. I get really irritated having to fumble with my phone to adjust volume. Interestingly, if you turn the radio off and back on and quickly adjust the volume, it will allow a one time volume adjustment before locking it out again. Why would the volume adjustment even be related to the bluetooth? I see no reason for the radio to even involve the phone in that for music playing.

Nathan
What type of music player is the Apollo? (i.e. streaming, stored on phone, internet radio, cloud based)

I am really hoping an update with the phone will fix the volume problems. Not a fan of having one second to adjust the volume.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
SubieNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNutter View Post
What type of music player is the Apollo? (i.e. streaming, stored on phone, internet radio, cloud based)

I am really hoping an update with the phone will fix the volume problems. Not a fan of having one second to adjust the volume.
Apollo plays music you have on your phone. It just has a very nice interface with a very fast album art fetching system that seems to be tied into last.fm's system (Stuff that it can't find has a red last.fm logo displayed).

It displays nice big icons for each artist so scrolling through things is easier in the car than using the ipod classic like interface on the My Music or Google apps. Unfortunately it's bluetooth functionality, like the google program is impaired.

My Music works perfect with bluetooth for me as well.

I've done a bit of reading and it seems that it is most likely a bluetooth stack communication error within the OS on the phone and not Pioneer's fault for the most part. I still don't understand why Pioneer made volume for bluetooth dedicated to bluetooth when that's running though. When you turn the dial it does not adjust the volume on the phone itself, so why does it lock up?

Nathan
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
RMStringer

My Samsung Galaxy SIII stock media player shows up track, song, title on the FR-S HU using Bluetooth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
privfaith

Drives: RX8 -> 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For local music on the phone I use Poweramp. It will push the id3 tags onto the stereo display. Forward/Backward and pause work.

Only problem is that when the phone connects to the car via bluetooth it likes opening.
privfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
RMStringer

When I use Pandora one, it does not awaken the Pandora app on the HU.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
SubieNate

Yes, I wish there was some way for the bluetooth to remember which app was playing music before the car was shut off. I can be listening to pandora, go into a store, come back out, and when I turn the car on whatever was playing on Apollo or the built in music app just starts going. Highly irritating as the levels from Pandora can be a little low so when the stock app starts up it tends to be super loud.

Nathan
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
RMStringer

Ful ID3 tag support for Bluetooth on stock player.Samsung Galaxy SIII

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Taptalk
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
gunmetal5

Drives: FRS - MY13
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
it appears as though most android versions does not have AVRCP technology built into the ROM. Cyanogen ROM should have it built into version 10. Ever since switching to an android phone(Nexus 4) from an iPhone I've been pretty unhappy with my BT streaming experience. Lol supposedly 4.2.2 is going have this technology built-in to it.

BTW avrcp version 1.3 allows the head unit to display artist info, controlling playback controls and volume levels.