follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #43
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This all fits behind the stock trim panel; that was the original goal, a sub box that takes up no cargo space and can be removed when the car is sold. No grill needed, it is bass so it is omnidirectional, just need a spot to move air and the grill for the stock 4" speaker will be fine.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #44
toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Now that it's done, how much airspace is in the side enclosures? I'm going to order my BMs soon and I'm debating a few options. I wanted to do it in the pass. footwell but I think I want to run my horns.
My box is .35 cu ft, hence the 8" driver. If you are willing to 'glass right into the car like AtlasMick did you could in theory utilize all that open space (it goes all the way back to the trunk) and have probably 1.5 cu ft, but that would be a ton of work since you have to seal off the front and back of the space.
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
quality_sound (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #45
quality_sound

Drives: '15 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's what I was thinking. It's a shame you couldn't squeak out .5. Then you could have gone vented with some Type-R 8s. That would have been pretty sweet.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #46
AtlasMick

Drives: FR-S 2013 Asphalt
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
My box is .35 cu ft, hence the 8" driver. If you are willing to 'glass right into the car like AtlasMick did you could in theory utilize all that open space (it goes all the way back to the trunk) and have probably 1.5 cu ft, but that would be a ton of work since you have to seal off the front and back of the space.
It's a huge PITA, and you'll have to go back in a few times to work out the air leaks. I suggest going with Toast's method unless you absolutely need the .5-.6ft3. Or if you want to go infinite baffle it would make sense and be loads easier while still retaining use of your rear seats. You would need to cover up the holes where front seat belts are anchored near the floor and that whole area, then put some more padding and cardboard/sound deaden the rear deck and your in business. I thought about that method prior to buying my SI subs, but they were designed for sealed performance.
AtlasMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #47
quality_sound

Drives: '15 BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasMick View Post
It's a huge PITA, and you'll have to go back in a few times to work out the air leaks. I suggest going with Toast's method unless you absolutely need the .5-.6ft3. Or if you want to go infinite baffle it would make sense and be loads easier while still retaining use of your rear seats. You would need to cover up the holes where front seat belts are anchored near the floor and that whole area, then put some more padding and cardboard/sound deaden the rear deck and your in business. I thought about that method prior to buying my SI subs, but they were designed for sealed performance.
Oh, I know. I've done side panel subs before and I had the BM MkIIIs as well. Great subs, but trying to think out my options. As much as I don't want to, I may delete the back seat.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:30 AM   #48
Z86

Drives: 86 GTS Auto in Pegasus White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@toast
Looks great, can you take some closer pics to show where you screwed it in.
How many layers of glass?
Really appreciate you posting, I'm getting inspired!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #49
toast

Box isn't screwed in yet, but I'll take pics when I do.

1 layer of mat on the inside of the cardboard template. That was the biggest bitch because the mat sticks to your hands while you're trying to form it. Once that was hard, I just started ripping the cardboard structure away. If I had it to do over I would have coated the whole thing with a mold release. Then a 3 layer fabric coating on the outside where the cardboard was. Then one more 3 layer fabric coating to bond to the wood baffle plate. On the top and rear sides I cut the baffle to the size of the box and ran the fabric down over the edge of the baffle. On the front and lower half of the rear I made the last fabric layer have a lip to bond to the back edge of the baffle. I'm not sure I'm explaining it well, I'll take more pics tonight.

If I were to do it again I could get pretty close to .5; now that I see how everything fits together I could have made the rear of the box extend into the body cavity more and then when inserting the whole thing you would just wedge the back end in first. I still might do that if the 8" doesn't hit hard enough, I can just cut out the rear wall of my box and extend it. I have a Kenwood Excelon (don't laugh!) 10" thin mount driver that really worked well in my STI, but given the small interior volume of the BRZ I think the 8 will be fine.

I got my amp, a little Class D Soundstream Picasso Nano. It is crazy how small these class D things are. Only downside is that no one ever posts the S/N specs anymore because they are so bad (70:1!!!), but for a sub it should be fine.

More pics tonight, I hope to get the box installed in the car and the interior panel back on, I'm tired of listening to all the extra road noise you get with that panel off.

Last edited by toast; 10-21-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #50
toast

Okay, so I lied. I buttoned everything up today and totally forgot to take pics. Mounted the box to the car in three spots, two along the front of the box and one in the rear. I had planned on just screwing the box right to the sheetmetal, but one of the mounting points was triple layer, wound up being almost 1/4" thick. Instead I just drilled holes and used speedclips with big stainless screws. Sounds fine, but doesn't hit like I had hoped. Probably going to swap out to this driver:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610TW...-4.html?tp=111

Going to open the box up a bit in the back to get some more volume.

Got the Nano mounted and hooked up, nifty little unit. I'm actually running the system with the 6" door speakers disabled, using the wiring for the factory amp to feed the Nano and drive the sub with a higher crossover frequency. Before I make any changes to the sub I need to get another amp for the front channel hooked up and get my components installed. Maybe once I push the crossover frequency back down the 8" might fill in the low end enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-30-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #51
AtlasMick

Not sure what to do about this gap. My gf had the idea to make it into a cubby hole to put stuff in. Any ideas? I was considering using making a fiberglass piece to wedge in there with some velcro on the back.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #52
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@AtlasMick,

Here's a pic with the rear panel removed
Attached Images

kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #53
JoeMartin

Drives: 2013 Black Scion FRS
Took me a moment to realize that picture was sideways... I feel kind of dumb now.

There is SO MUCH ROOM behind that panel. It's absolutely amazing.
I am currently working on installing my shallow mount Kicker 10s behind that panel, mounted to MDF.
Since the subs are not infinite baffle, I have taken spray foam insulation and sealed the area off to be ~1 cubic foot of space (a little more than the required amount for it).
I sprayed going back to the bumper, sprayed the rocker panel section that's visible, then also sprayed between the body and door to seal that.
For the fender well to the body I used some aluminum tape to seal that up, same with all of the holes that are not used by the body panels.

I may take a few pics once I have everything ready to go back together. =)
JoeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #54
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

There is a decent amount of room. I'll need to trim some of the sheet metal away. I'm trying to decide if taking some of the B-pillar away will cause any structural weakening, though.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #55
AtlasMick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbkk View Post
There is a decent amount of room. I'll need to trim some of the sheet metal away. I'm trying to decide if taking some of the B-pillar away will cause any structural weakening, though.
There's no need to take any B pillar. Up to JL audio's 13" woofers will fit with only shaving the sheet metal beneath the rear quarter window.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #56
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasMick View Post
There's no need to take any B pillar. Up to JL audio's 13" woofers will fit with only shaving the sheet metal beneath the rear quarter window.
Thats what I was hoping. I've also been thinking about cutting out the rear panel and flush mounting the sub.