follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'll have this on a lift today. I'll get better pictures. Hopefully this situation/conversation will help other owners in the long run.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #16
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Are you running an adapter at all going to the catback coming from the front pipe? Just want to double check. I have the 3" system on my BRZ, and I haven't had any issues with it hitting at all. I have the PERRIN mounts, but they aren't longer than stock.
Update for you: I ordered Torque Solutions polyurethane mounts (perrin was out of stock). Upon installing these the tips no longer align perfectly like they used to, but noting makes contact anymore. The pipe is still VERY close to the diff and very close to the frame, but it doesnt make contact. Even if I rather aggressively shake the exhaust, I cannot make contact.

This could be due to the combination of parts I have (Tomei to Tomei to Invidia to Perrin) - so I'm not holding anything against anyone.

I do suggest in the future to probably sell/bundle the polyurethane mounts with the 3". Just a thought.

Also, the "C" style clips that hold the muffler on to the hangers completely broke upon removal. Added a picture here... these were not over torqued during install - done by hand until the clip wouldnt move. So I'm surprised these got damaged so quickly. Anyone know how I can get an extra set?
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #17
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
Update for you: I ordered Torque Solutions polyurethane mounts (perrin was out of stock). Upon installing these the tips no longer align perfectly like they used to, but noting makes contact anymore. The pipe is still VERY close to the diff and very close to the frame, but it doesnt make contact. Even if I rather aggressively shake the exhaust, I cannot make contact.

This could be due to the combination of parts I have (Tomei to Tomei to Invidia to Perrin) - so I'm not holding anything against anyone.

I do suggest in the future to probably sell/bundle the polyurethane mounts with the 3". Just a thought.

Also, the "C" style clips that hold the muffler on to the hangers completely broke upon removal. Added a picture here... these were not over torqued during install - done by hand until the clip wouldnt move. So I'm surprised these got damaged so quickly. Anyone know how I can get an extra set?
Perrin can probably send you some. I would contact them.

I stripped 3 of the V-Band clamps before I damaged any of those. I was real careful on how tight I went with those little c-clamps.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #18
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
Perrin can probably send you some. I would contact them.

I stripped 3 of the V-Band clamps before I damaged any of those. I was real careful on how tight I went with those little c-clamps.
Yeah I emailed them yesterday, they've been responsive. My thread is in no way to bash Perrin - fantastic customer service.

I was SUPER careful installing those little clamps. I pay close details to everything, so I'm at a loss on how they broke so easy. At most these things had I would guess between 5 - 8 ft-lbs. About the same I used on the Vbands themselves.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #19
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
Yeah I emailed them yesterday, they've been responsive. My thread is in no way to bash Perrin - fantastic customer service.

I was SUPER careful installing those little clamps. I pay close details to everything, so I'm at a loss on how they broke so easy. At most these things had I would guess between 5 - 8 ft-lbs. About the same I used on the Vbands themselves.
I did notice they rust pretty quickly though... I was still in the process of lining up my tips on the 2.5" in a different thread and saw some forming on the little black screws. Did I mention how much of a pain it was to line up the tips front to back evenly? Lol. I love the exhaust though. Has the best sound of many I have tested.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #20
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
I did notice they rust pretty quickly though... I was still in the process of lining up my tips on the 2.5" in a different thread and saw some forming on the little black screws. Did I mention how much of a pain it was to line up the tips front to back evenly? Lol. I love the exhaust though. Has the best sound of many I have tested.
Oh yeah, sound is fantastic. Lining up the tips is a nightmare. I gave up.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #21
SpectreRT

Does anyone know if the 3" exhaust was redesigned at come point? Even with stiffer bushings/hangers, i'm still making contact with the diff and/or frame. Plenty of rubbing areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpectreRT For This Useful Post:
ALB (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #22
ALB

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm also having problems with contact. I'm just getting ready to switch to the perrin hangers to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ALB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #23
ALB

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
One thing to check is the S pipe orientation. If it's installed backwards, then it could cause that problem, here's how it should look installed in the car. The longer straight section should be connecting to the muffler side.

I'm certainly not going to take mine apart to try, but how is it possible to install the s-pipe backwards? Wouldn't the hanger mount be completely in the wrong location and wrong orientation?

ALB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #24
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
What happens if you guys rotate the S pipe so that it has ample clearance?
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #25
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
What happens if you guys rotate the S pipe so that it has ample clearance?
On mine, if I rotate to the right the pipe contacts the diff. If I rotate to the left, it contacts the frame near the rear sway bar.

So I had to order Kartboy extra long hangers. It should give another .7" of clearance.

IMO, I bet Perrin changed their design at some point. Would need someone from them to chime in though.

Oh, and my V-Bands broke today for no reason. Not having a great experience with this exhaust. My ebay "Tsudo" exhaust had fewer issues at this point.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #26
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
And thats all with having the tips lined up?
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #27
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
And thats all with having the tips lined up?
If I dont care about the tips being aligned it fits well. If I try to align them, the S-pipe contacts either the diff or the frame. Either way, it sounds like shit vibrating against the metal regardless.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpectreRT For This Useful Post:
ALB (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #28
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB View Post
I'm also having problems with contact. I'm just getting ready to switch to the perrin hangers to see if it makes a difference.

Likely wont make a difference. You need longer hangers, not stiffer ones. Look into Kartboy. Order 5.

http://www.kartboy.com/x4/product.ph...5&bestseller=Y