follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
FRS vs BMW 228i

Posted this little article over on Jalopnik, take a gander if you like.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/opp...r-s-1657199801

(Full disclosure: Neither BMW nor Toyota wanted this review to happen, releasing these cars two years apart and in substantially different market segments. However, one Jalopnik user did clamor for a comparison. As it so happens, my girlfriend's BMW 228i MSport shares garage space with my Scion FR-S and for the small price of a Sunday afternoon and "honey-do" list I was able to get the keys.)

Now most people would be hard pressed to cross shop the budget sports car Scion FR-S (also known as the second coming of automotive nirvana in select circles) with the German luxury coupe BMW 228i. However, I know that Jalopnik readers are hardly rational individuals and a mere $8-10K difference in MSRP does not merit a new category.

The Scion FR-S was released in 2012 with great fanfare and rave reviews as Toyota and Subaru brought the 'sport' back to sports car for the entry level segment. Its 2.0 litre boxer engine, agile handling and driver-focused interior helped to complete its bare bones image and move cars off dealer lots. A few years later, the car still holds is own and has been embraced by the tuning community (and some tasteless examples).

The BMW 228i is an all new platform for 2014, offering a replacement to the RWD 1 Series and introducing a turbocharged four cylinder engine. The 1 Series has grown up a bit, showing sleeker lines and a slightly longer wheelbase. The MSport package adds all the necessary bells and whistle to take this from an ivy league college graduate car to a respected sport coupe. It's a top contender for best car in its segment against the Audi A3 and Mercedes CLA250, and a real bargain for what it offers.

As a sidenote: This FR-S is hardly stock and houses a TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Catback exhaust, FT86SpeedFactory UEL Catted Header, RCE Suspension Kit, Rota 17x9 Grid-V wheels and Hankook Ventus12 Evo2 245/40/17 tires. Arguablly a fairer comparison when $$ comes into play.

Exterior

I'll be the first to admit that the Scion FR-S exterior is not everyone's cup of tea. It's boxer engine lends itself well to a low hood line and classic GT looks however, with the wheel arches protruding slightly into the drivers view a la Porsche 911. The falling roofline merges nicely into a stylish yet vanilla rear end. As it sits stock, the car has a bit of a rally stance on stock tires with large fender gap. In a world full of ever larger and boxier cars, it is a breath of fresh air.

The 288i on the other hand, is Germany's latest gift to those still seeking out "enthusiast cars" in BMWs lineup. It is a slightly more grown up, refined and in my opinion stylish remake of the previous 1 series. A crease wraps around the car into BMWs new rear end which feels the same for nearly every numerical designation, this time it gets a tiny integrated spoiler. The front hood extends further to a menacing grill only given to the M235i and Msport packages(pain to clean!), but it works. In estoril blue, it is an attractive car no doubt, however it still feels a bit emasculated in the face of the 3 series.

Interior

The FR-S has a fairly Spartan interior, lending itself while to a driver focused cockpit yet lacking in the finer features. The tach is front and center, easily readily as you sit in supportive, well bolstered seats. The shifter falls into place in the palm of your hand and visibility is relatively good. For a budget minded car, its pretty great until you find the stereo or HVAC controls. 6.5/10.

The BMW brings the German touch once again, with leather and a great looking interior. The M seats and steering wheel really shine here, bolstering the driver and providing a near perfect steering wheel size and shape. Indeed, the M sport is a much better car to drive than the base 228i. With ample rear seats (hey, we are are comparing against the FRS here!) and a large trunk, it really is quite livable. 8/10

Acceleration

We all know that the stock FR-S is a bit slower than the public would like, handedly losing stoplight races to a Civic SI, GTI and your neighbors Honda Odyssey. Below 3000rpm it's a mundane grocery getter sipping gas, above 5000rpm it begins to push and really hurl you through twists and turns. As it stands now, my car will embarrass a stock FR-S. The addition a full aftermarket exhaust and header setup has done wonders to the lack of oomph and bumped up the power and torque nearly 15% (this still amounts to a measly 220 HP). Still excite in a straight line it does not, I'll give the car a 6/10.

The 228i is a bit of surprise in this segment, with the turbocharged four cylinder providing low end grunt and laughter inducing acceleration. Sport mode, check. Blip the throttle, point and go and the little BMW obliges, offering a slight woosh as the turbo comes off boost. The 240hp/255lb-ft engine feels nearly WRX like and is a hoot to drive in a straight line. 7.5/10

Braking

What can I say, both of these cars provide stellar brakes in light of modern technology. 8/10.

Ride/Handling

The FR-S ride is harsh, there is no two ways around it. The suspension is stiff and purpose driven, and while a long drive is still comfortable in the car, the small amount of sound deadening is not enough to save you from road noise and vibration. Reviewers all state this cars track oriented design, and after 175 miles on Thunderhill's West Track a few weeks back, I can attest this car really corners and maintain speeds with cars twice to three times it price. If you're seeking a car to run the twisties in, you should give the FR-S a long look. 8/10

Like the FR-S, the BMW also boasts a near 50/50 weight distribution making it rather agile and confidence inspiring. Steering is quick, but it lacks feel. General comfort is a bit softer and more compliant, making it joyful to cruise in morning traffic. Press the //M button and you get another animal altogether with more poised steering and sharper inputs. 8/10

Gearbox

The two car's once again show their European and Asian roots in the gearbox. The FR-S has a snappy 6 speed shifter with short throws and a clutch pedal lacking real feedback. It's light and odd, but you do get used to it and are extremely thankful in stop-n-go traffic. 8/10

The 228i features a silky smooth shifter with mid length throws (too long for my taste), however the BMW clutch pedal is magic. Plenty of feedback and weight, just the way a clutch should feel in my mind. 7/10

Value

Let's face it, the average joe is not going to cross shop these cars. I will say this though, they both offer tremendous driver and economic value in their respective segments. For the casual sports car driver looking for class and agility the 228i M Sport is a serious sleeper at the bottom of BMWs current lineup. Capable of driving to work and hauling a small family without a sweat, yet poised enough to hit the track on Sunday. The FR-S (I might be a bit biased here) is one helluva car, offering a driver focused platform capable of teaching and growing with a young or experienced driver. It might be underpowered, it might be cheap, yet you won't hear people complaining about that when driving it on the right roads. Yes, by my own rating system the 228i wins slightly...damnitt. I still take the FR-S keys most often. I cannot wait to see how both companies develop these platforms in years to come.

2014 BMW 228i MSport

Engine: 2.0-liter turbo four
Power: 240 horsepower at 5400 RPM, 255 lb-ft of torque at 1900 RPM
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
0-60 Time: 5.1 seconds
Drivetrain: rear wheel drive
Curb Weight: 3,350 Pounds
Seating: 4 people
MPG: 23 City/31 Highway/26 Combined
MSRP: $32,100 base (36,000 as tested)
Rating: 38.5/50

2013 Scion FR-S

Engine: 2.0-liter flat four
Power: 200 horsepower at 7000 RPM, 151 lb-ft of torque at 6400 RPM
0-60 Time: 6.2 seconds
Curb Weight: 2,747 pounds
Seating: "4" - 2 comfortably, 4 if necessary.
MPG: 26 city/30 highway
MSRP: $25,500 base (29,000 as tested YAY MODS)
Rating: 36.5/50

Last edited by Re~Mix; 11-12-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
normancw (11-12-2014), ripper (01-03-2015), sato (11-12-2014), TofuJoe (06-29-2017), Zaku (05-10-2016)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice review. Before I bought the FRS this was one of the cars I was cross shopping. The FRS/BRZ, BMW 1/2/1M, and Cayman. Huge difference in price, but they were the only cars that fit my light weight, rwd, fixed roof requirement.

I understand why you made the handling for both get the same score, but I think I would have still gave the nod to the FRS. Yes, the BMWs are known to have a sporty yet comfortable ride, but no limited slip differential, weight, and lack of feel should sway things in the FRS's favor IMHO.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AsianStyle For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-12-2014), glamcem (11-12-2014), JW89225 (11-17-2014), Re~Mix (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Re~Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
I understand why you made the handling for both get the same score, but I think I would have still gave the nod to the FRS. Yes, the BMWs are known to have a sporty yet comfortable ride, but no limited slip differential, weight, and lack of feel should sway things in the FRS's favor IMHO.
It was a tough call. The FR-S is definitely better suited for canyon carving and tracking from day 1, yet the 228i is no slouch either. MSport adds the M Suspension and while run-flats hurt the car, it is agile beyond its looks.

I rated the cars fairly evenly in braking as well, more-so due to my amateur status in cars than reality. I tried to elaborate most where I had some experience, still hard when I have driven the FR-S 32,000 miles and the 228i around 500 miles.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:54 AM   #4
speargunsandracecars

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The FRS has a more sporting character than the 228. The 228 weighs roughly 500 pounds more than the FRS, but also has a lot more grunt. Handling wise, the FRS will take the 228 in any tight, twisty road. The 228 will catch up on the straights. Push each car to 10/10s and the FRS will shine, while the 228 will falter even with its fancy 'M' button.

Comfortable cruising goes to the 228.

Driving fun goes to the FRS.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #5
Re~Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by speargunsandracecars View Post
The 228 will catch up on the straights. Push each car to 10/10s and the FRS will shine, while the 228 will falter even with its fancy 'M' button.
I recommend you check out last week's podcast on The Smoking Tire http://shoutengine.com/TheSmokingTire/

They run a 228i MSport on real tires on the track and its shockingly fast. I have a lot of FR-S pride and a huge bias, however even I can admit a car with a sticker price $10K removed from the FR-S is a worthy adversary (albeit not on the twisty roads).
Old 11-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
normancw

Drives: 128i
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Great review - thanks!

I have an FR-S (modded with 17x9 RPF1 rims with 245 Direzza ZIIs, RCE Tarmac 2 coilovers, Raceseng CasCam plates, SPL LCA, bushings...) and my wife has a 128i with the sport package. In Canada, the 128i sport package had the same size 18" rims and tires as the 135i.

Out of the box with no mods, the FR-S is much better (and faster) around the track - the mods just make it more so. The 128i feels much heavier with more roll - even if it had similar mods, I can't see the it being nearly as nimble.

On the street though, the 128i is much nicer (quieter, better ride, better interior, more features, and the I6 engine is so smooth) and faster in a straight line than the FR-S (tractor engine sound, noisier, busy ride).
normancw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to normancw For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-12-2014), Re~Mix (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Coming from a lightly modified 135i previously I would rather drive the 135i everywhere other than auto x and lapping where the BRZ is way more fun and reliable.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
JW89225 (11-17-2014), normancw (11-13-2014), Re~Mix (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Hey just think of it this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
Posted this little article over on Jalopnik, take a gander if you like.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/opp...r-s-1657199801

(Full disclosure: Neither BMW nor Toyota wanted this review to happen, releasing these cars two years apart and in substantially different market segments. However, one Jalopnik user did clamor for a comparison. As it so happens, my girlfriend's BMW 228i MSport shares garage space with my Scion FR-S and for the small price of a Sunday afternoon and "honey-do" list I was able to get the keys.)

Now most people would be hard pressed to cross shop the budget sports car Scion FR-S (also known as the second coming of automotive nirvana in select circles) with the German luxury coupe BMW 228i. However, I know that Jalopnik readers are hardly rational individuals and a mere $8-10K difference in MSRP does not merit a new category.

The Scion FR-S was released in 2012 with great fanfare and rave reviews as Toyota and Subaru brought the 'sport' back to sports car for the entry level segment. Its 2.0 litre boxer engine, agile handling and driver-focused interior helped to complete its bare bones image and move cars off dealer lots. A few years later, the car still holds is own and has been embraced by the tuning community (and some tasteless examples).

The BMW 228i is an all new platform for 2014, offering a replacement to the RWD 1 Series and introducing a turbocharged four cylinder engine. The 1 Series has grown up a bit, showing sleeker lines and a slightly longer wheelbase. The MSport package adds all the necessary bells and whistle to take this from an ivy league college graduate car to a respected sport coupe. It's a top contender for best car in its segment against the Audi A3 and Mercedes CLA250, and a real bargain for what it offers.

As a sidenote: This FR-S is hardly stock and houses a TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Catback exhaust, FT86SpeedFactory UEL Catted Header, RCE Suspension Kit, Rota 17x9 Grid-V wheels and Hankook Ventus12 Evo2 245/40/17 tires. Arguablly a fairer comparison when $$ comes into play.

Exterior

I'll be the first to admit that the Scion FR-S exterior is not everyone's cup of tea. It's boxer engine lends itself well to a low hood line and classic GT looks however, with the wheel arches protruding slightly into the drivers view a la Porsche 911. The falling roofline merges nicely into a stylish yet vanilla rear end. As it sits stock, the car has a bit of a rally stance on stock tires with large fender gap. In a world full of ever larger and boxier cars, it is a breath of fresh air.

The 288i on the other hand, is Germany's latest gift to those still seeking out "enthusiast cars" in BMWs lineup. It is a slightly more grown up, refined and in my opinion stylish remake of the previous 1 series. A crease wraps around the car into BMWs new rear end which feels the same for nearly every numerical designation, this time it gets a tiny integrated spoiler. The front hood extends further to a menacing grill only given to the M235i and Msport packages(pain to clean!), but it works. In estoril blue, it is an attractive car no doubt, however it still feels a bit emasculated in the face of the 3 series.

Interior

The FR-S has a fairly Spartan interior, lending itself while to a driver focused cockpit yet lacking in the finer features. The tach is front and center, easily readily as you sit in supportive, well bolstered seats. The shifter falls into place in the palm of your hand and visibility is relatively good. For a budget minded car, its pretty great until you find the stereo or HVAC controls. 6.5/10.

The BMW brings the German touch once again, with leather and a great looking interior. The M seats and steering wheel really shine here, bolstering the driver and providing a near perfect steering wheel size and shape. Indeed, the M sport is a much better car to drive than the base 228i. With ample rear seats (hey, we are are comparing against the FRS here!) and a large trunk, it really is quite livable. 8/10

Acceleration

We all know that the stock FR-S is a bit slower than the public would like, handedly losing stoplight races to a Civic SI, GTI and your neighbors Honda Odyssey. Below 3000rpm it's a mundane grocery getter sipping gas, above 5000rpm it begins to push and really hurl you through twists and turns. As it stands now, my car will embarrass a stock FR-S. The addition a full aftermarket exhaust and header setup has done wonders to the lack of oomph and bumped up the power and torque nearly 15% (this still amounts to a measly 220 HP). Still excite in a straight line it does not, I'll give the car a 6/10.

The 228i is a bit of surprise in this segment, with the turbocharged four cylinder providing low end grunt and laughter inducing acceleration. Sport mode, check. Blip the throttle, point and go and the little BMW obliges, offering a slight woosh as the turbo comes off boost. The 240hp/255lb-ft engine feels nearly WRX like and is a hoot to drive in a straight line. 7.5/10

Braking

What can I say, both of these cars provide stellar brakes in light of modern technology. 8/10.

Ride/Handling

The FR-S ride is harsh, there is no two ways around it. The suspension is stiff and purpose driven, and while a long drive is still comfortable in the car, the small amount of sound deadening is not enough to save you from road noise and vibration. Reviewers all state this cars track oriented design, and after 175 miles on Thunderhill's West Track a few weeks back, I can attest this car really corners and maintain speeds with cars twice to three times it price. If you're seeking a car to run the twisties in, you should give the FR-S a long look. 8/10

Like the FR-S, the BMW also boasts a near 50/50 weight distribution making it rather agile and confidence inspiring. Steering is quick, but it lacks feel. General comfort is a bit softer and more compliant, making it joyful to cruise in morning traffic. Press the //M button and you get another animal altogether with more poised steering and sharper inputs. 8/10

Gearbox

The two car's once again show their European and Asian roots in the gearbox. The FR-S has a snappy 6 speed shifter with short throws and a clutch pedal lacking real feedback. It's light and odd, but you do get used to it and are extremely thankful in stop-n-go traffic. 8/10

The 228i features a silky smooth shifter with mid length throws (too long for my taste), however the BMW clutch pedal is magic. Plenty of feedback and weight, just the way a clutch should feel in my mind. 7/10

Value

Let's face it, the average joe is not going to cross shop these cars. I will say this though, they both offer tremendous driver and economic value in their respective segments. For the casual sports car driver looking for class and agility the 228i M Sport is a serious sleeper at the bottom of BMWs current lineup. Capable of driving to work and hauling a small family without a sweat, yet poised enough to hit the track on Sunday. The FR-S (I might be a bit biased here) is one helluva car, offering a driver focused platform capable of teaching and growing with a young or experienced driver. It might be underpowered, it might be cheap, yet you won't hear people complaining about that when driving it on the right roads. Yes, by my own rating system the 228i wins slightly...damnitt. I still take the FR-S keys most often. I cannot wait to see how both companies develop these platforms in years to come.

2014 BMW 228i MSport

Engine: 2.0-liter turbo four
Power: 240 horsepower at 5400 RPM, 255 lb-ft of torque at 1900 RPM
0-60 Time: 5.1 seconds
Drivetrain: rear wheel drive
Curb Weight: 3,350 Pounds
Seating: 4 people
MPG: 23 City/31 Highway/26 Combined
MSRP: $32,100 base (36,000 as tested)
Rating: 38.5/50

2013 Scion FR-S

Engine: 2.0-liter flat four
Power: 200 horsepower at 7000 RPM, 151 lb-ft of torque at 6400 RPM
0-60 Time: 6.2 seconds
Curb Weight: 2,747 pounds
Seating: "4" - 2 comfortably, 4 if necessary.
MPG: 26 city/30 highway
MSRP: $25,500 base (29,000 as tested YAY MODS)
Rating: 36.5/50
The 228i only wins your little contest if you weigh each of those categories equally, so the real question is.... do you????

Jaden

p.s. not related to the op's post but a response in this thread and other threads.. I don't get the comparison of the twin's sound to that of a tractor... I've driven many a tractor and the twins don't sound like any of them...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice review. I think the rating system is strange in that Ride and Handling are combined (usually at odds with one another), but other than that, I think the review was spot on.

I feel like I'm in a similar situation as you since my other car (GTI) is much more comfortable and relaxed by nature than the FR-S. I usually prefer driving the FR-S even for mundane tasks since it's much more sharp and rewarding to drive, but there are days when I enjoy the GTI as well.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Nothing screams "I shoulda bought a 4 series!" louder than someone who bought a 2 series.

/thread
Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Re~Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Nothing screams "I shoulda bought a 4 series!" louder than someone who bought a 2 series.

/thread
Sure, for $10K + taxes more. Drive a 2 series and then a 4 series, report back to me if they feel anything alike.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post

/thread
228 vs 428, the second is ~300 lbs heavier with no performance advantage. Still two doors, still impractical rear seats, but $8000 more expensive.

M235 vs 435, the 4 is again heavier, no performance advantage, and much duller handling. Similar base price.

Other than the M4, all the 4 series cars have no real purpose IMHO. People still buy them because of the badge (4>3!!), but in most cases they'd be better served with 2 series cars —and if anyone really needs to use those four seats often, they get a 3 series. I will concede that the proportions of the 4 series look better than the 2.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juliog For This Useful Post:
AsianStyle (11-12-2014), normancw (11-13-2014), Re~Mix (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #13
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
The OP in his evaluation states clearly that ~10k is not even considered.

And a Base 2 series with the "M Line" is 37,560.
A base 4 series with the "M Line" is 45,400.

So yes, there is ~8k difference (which shouldn't even be considered according to the article).

And the 4 cyl 4 series weighs 3470 lbs.

the 6 cyl weighs 3621 lbs.

P.S. Oh yeah... I like my manual cars too.
And yes I know you can get these cars in manual blah blah blah. But the one tested is not a manual, and the manual BMWs are slower than their automatic counterparts because their DCGs are that good.
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
xRavenFRSx (11-13-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Not a bad review. Nitpicking, but at the very least bolding headings for each section would help readability a lot.

Also pitting the different cars against each other, especially with the FRS being significantly modded from stock, it would help to do a side-by-side feature list of each car before even the Overview section
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (11-12-2014)