follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Looking for suggestions on what carplay compatible head unit to get.

I've been digging into it, but haven't found any really solid comparisons. Anyone have any suggestions on what head units I should be looking at?

I want it to still have an optical drive (don't care if it's DVD, or just CD), and would prefer wireless carplay. Dedicated GPS antenna and built in nav is a bonus, but definitely not a requirement.

It's going in a 2013 FRS, don't care about a backup camera but want everything else to still work (USB port included).

Anyone have favorites or suggestions? In past cars I've always gravitated toward pioneer, but not picky on the brand at all at this point as long as it works well. I came across this one, but not sure if there's comparable options I can just get locally for less? https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop...7ws-toyota-86/
Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I've been digging into it, but haven't found any really solid comparisons. Anyone have any suggestions on what head units I should be looking at?

I want it to still have an optical drive (don't care if it's DVD, or just CD), and would prefer wireless carplay. Dedicated GPS antenna and built in nav is a bonus, but definitely not a requirement.

It's going in a 2013 FRS, don't care about a backup camera but want everything else to still work (USB port included).

Anyone have favorites or suggestions? In past cars I've always gravitated toward pioneer, but not picky on the brand at all at this point as long as it works well. I came across this one, but not sure if there's comparable options I can just get locally for less? https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop...7ws-toyota-86/
I am pretty sure that one doesn't have wireless CarPlay. The only one I am aware of that does is the Alpine iLX-107, which doesn't have an optical drive.
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
wparsons

Garage
Sorry, wasn't as clear as I could've been. Preference is optical drive over wireless carplay, if I can have both that's even better.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Sorry, wasn't as clear as I could've been. Preference is optical drive over wireless carplay, if I can have both that's even better.
OK. Well, I am unaware of a unit that has both. The Kenwood model you reference seems to be well liked. If you want something a little less pricey, I am happy with the Pioneer AVH-2300NEX I put in my wife's Forester XT. When paired with the iDatalink Maestro RR, we retained all steering wheel controls, BT, USB, Backup Camera, etc. Not sure whether it would work as well in an FRS though. CarPlay works great with it though.
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ncted For This Useful Post:
wparsons (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have the Kenwood DDX9904S and am very happy with it...

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/ddx9904s/
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:16 AM   #6
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As I know most of the Kenwood or Pioneer HU will provide the features that you ara looking for.
If you care about the fit and have budget you can check the DDX917ws which is a 200 mm HU and will fit nicely. Unfortunately, its not available in the US and you have to order from outside. https://www.fasmoto.com/kenwood-ddx917ws is an option and you can get the plug and play harness from from Carbon Sytems (http://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop/...wood-ddx917ws/)
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
sgh

Drives: 2015 FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the AVIC-8200NEX (came in the AVIC-8201NEX package) and wouldn't recommend it. The built in NAV is slow and the CarPlay implementation has problems (failing to recognize my phone sometimes, and lockups occasionally to the point of having to restart the entire car).

The CarPlay implementation is wired.

I've never used the disc player so cannot comment on that part. I do use the SD card for FLAC's though and it's hit and miss for loading the album artwork properly.
sgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:38 AM   #8
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgh View Post
I have the AVIC-8200NEX (came in the AVIC-8201NEX package) and wouldn't recommend it. The built in NAV is slow and the CarPlay implementation has problems (failing to recognize my phone sometimes, and lockups occasionally to the point of having to restart the entire car).

The CarPlay implementation is wired.

I've never used the disc player so cannot comment on that part. I do use the SD card for FLAC's though and it's hit and miss for loading the album artwork properly.

Maybe try contacting pioneer support?
I have contacted them 2x, I will admit, sitting on hold for them is .. aweful.. but my 4100NEX doesn't have the issues your higher model 8200NEX has. I had a 560BHS in the past that they RMAed for me b/c on Sirius it would lock up, they indicated it was a hardware issue, but it would work for awhile on SXM then.. reboot, sent me a new unit and everything was cool.

Other time I called them was to report a software bug with the mixtrax lighting feature starting in any USB accessory if it was enabled for a usb music source.. which included AA and carplay. that was a funny call actually, went something to the tune of: tech: "sir, whats your issue, how can we help you?" me: "oh im good, im actually calling to report a software issue" tech: "oh...."

edit: you mention the 8201NEX package, IIRC that's a crutchfield package, maybe try reaching out to them first, their entire branding thing is customer support friendliness, they may be able to help if your unit is not performing as it should. Sometimes there are units that just plain don't behave like they should. maybe too see if you find a local stereo shop with a 8200 on display and ask if you can test the carplay on it and see if its more stable/faster?

edit #2: the on topic response to the OP, check out the sony ax100, its a straight forward unit I have considered putting in my GFs car, no optical drive tbh, so if that's a show stopper then that units not for you, but otherwise its a solid/purpose built unit.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
As I know most of the Kenwood or Pioneer HU will provide the features that you ara looking for.
If you care about the fit and have budget you can check the DDX917ws which is a 200 mm HU and will fit nicely. Unfortunately, its not available in the US and you have to order from outside. https://www.fasmoto.com/kenwood-ddx917ws is an option and you can get the plug and play harness from from Carbon Sytems (http://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop/...wood-ddx917ws/)
Do they have a LHD version (buttons on the left)? I haven't been able to find it, but not sure if it's just hiding.