follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #15
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmydatooth View Post
Would you guys say getting Tomei or jdl would be better than getting the OFH? Anyone know how the OFH are quality and build wise?
I don't think you can really go wrong either way. I think that I did read somewhere that there were a few incidences where an OFH header cracked at the welds, but this was a while back and I have not heard anything since then. Perhaps someone else could chime in on this.

I chose the Tomei because not only is it proven to be a quality product performance wise, but I also like the visual quality (the finish, the welds, etc.). It was also in stock at a local shop, so that was the final deciding factor.

Here you go! You can ooooh, ah ahhhhhh all over it. SHINY!!!

Old 04-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #16
timmydatooth

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [YOYO] View Post
I don't think you can really go wrong either way. I think that I did read somewhere that there were a few incidences where an OFH header cracked at the welds, but this was a while back and I have not heard anything since then. Perhaps someone else could chime in on this.

I chose the Tomei because not only is it proven to be a quality product performance wise, but I also like the visual quality (the finish, the welds, etc.). It was also in stock at a local shop, so that was the final deciding factor.

Here you go! You can ooooh, ah ahhhhhh all over it. SHINY!!!

it does look pretty!

If i do end up purchasing the tomei, do I need to buy the O2 spacer for CEL? or will the stage 2 tune take care of the CEL for me?

also is it possible to use the stage 2 tune made for OHF with these tomei headers? or do you just use the regular stage 2 UEL tune that came with the OFT?
timmydatooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #17
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Quote:
it does look pretty!

If i do end up purchasing the tomei, do I need to buy the O2 spacer for CEL? or will the stage 2 tune take care of the CEL for me?

also is it possible to use the stage 2 tune made for OHF with these tomei headers? or do you just use the regular stage 2 UEL tune that came with the OFT?
Isn't it?!?!

The tune will take care of the CEL. As for the tune OFH, that's the beauty of it. The header designs are physically so similar that you can actually make use of the OFH specific tune. I know that people, myself included, have data logged it, and it runs without a hitch. I run mine on Ultra 94, as the tune calls for higher octane fuels.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #18
timmydatooth

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Isn't it?!?!

The tune will take care of the CEL. As for the tune, that's the beauty of it. The header designs are physically so similar that you can actually make use of the OFH specific tune. I know that people, myself included, have data logged it, and it runs without a hitch. I run mine on Ultra 94, as the tune calls for higher octane fuels.
So theres no point in me buying the O2 spacer right? I can only get 93 here in florida. I know the OFH specific tune is supposed to be more "aggresive" than the regular stage 2 UEL tune. since I can only get 93 would it be safer for me to just do the regular stage 2 tune to avoid putting to me stress on my engine. Im just gonna use it for fun Daily driving, I dont really take it to tracks or nothing.
timmydatooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #19
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Quote:
So theres no point in me buying the O2 spacer right? I can only get 93 here in florida. I know the OFH specific tune is supposed to be more "aggresive" than the regular stage 2 UEL tune. since I can only get 93 would it be safer for me to just do the regular stage 2 tune to avoid putting to me stress on my engine. Im just gonna use it for fun Daily driving, I dont really take it to tracks or nothing.
Nope, no spacer needed, and you will be fine with 93, in fact, that's what I think most people run. Anything above 91 octane is recommended, though I have even read that Shell V-Power works as well.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #20
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Nope, no spacer needed, and you will be fine with 93, in fact, that's what I think most people run. Anything above 91 octane is recommended, though I have even read that Shell V-Power works as well.
Imo shell is garbage, my IAM always run below .8
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #21
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Imo shell is garbage, my IAM always run below .8
Good to know. So essentially, a quality fuel above 91 Octane.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #22
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Good to know. So essentially, a quality fuel above 91 Octane.
Yes, it pulls strong all the way to redline. Also i noticed with 91 oct my fuel economy drop very significant
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
[YOYO] (04-05-2017)