follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
History of my GS-R.. and rebuild.. my now-current track car.

BRZ is going back to stock more or less. I decided I wanted to track a car that I can put into a wall and not give a crap. And a car I can put a rollbar/cage into without worrying about value.

No fear, the BRZ will still get tracked, it just won't be tracked as much

History of my GS-R.. and rebuild..

So back in 2000 I bought a brand new 2000 Integra GS-R. The car was autocrossed within a month and on Sebring within two months. The car was used hard, put away wet, and beat like a red headed stepchild. The car also basically never let me down and never left me stranded. Below is a list of everything that has ever broken on this car:
-Radiator end tank started leaking
-Brake master cylinder
-Clutch master cylinder

Yeah.. that's it. She has about 163K on her (had an ITR cluster in for ~10-11k to keep warranty a bit longer...) and until recently she still had both original axles (still has one of them!), the distributor has had rotor/cap/screw replaced as preventative maintenance but otherwise is 100% original, original main relay, etc. Maintenance wise.. yeah she's had a lot of parts and was maintained mechanically in my normal fashion (stuff gets replaced regardless of need and in batches, etc).

This was my first new car, but I don't care about that. I do care that I can let the damn car sit for 6 months, jump it, and go drive without any concern that it's going to fail on me. Maybe I'm stupid or trust this thing too much.. this damn car should have broke a lot more often than it ever has with what I did to it

Here's a not-so brief photographic history...

Back when she was new...

The first autocross.. 852 miles IIRC.

Second suspension mod (first was a comptech rear sway bar, pics are shit so I didn't bother) - H&R Sport springs on Bilstein HD dampers:

At the track - Sebring - Circa late 2000/early 2001:

Some engine mods - at this point it was putting down 163/121 on a dynojet - about the same as a stock ITR.

Ahhhh.. roll cage.. leather seats.. yeah back in the day...

And then it was wrecked a bit.. cage sold to D.. some mods removed.. eventually subframe damage.. not washed for 6 years or so at a time..

At 144K indicated I decided to sell it.. without cleaning it of course. Some interest but I never cared enough to move forward.. pics from then..

Eventually (shortly before buying the BRZ) I decided to actually.. well.. use a DA to buff and polish it.. plus fix the rollbar holes and other holes with the OEM plugs, silicone, undercoating spray, and aluminum tape..
Paint...

Undercarriage/roll cage holes... ripped out subframe..

Leakdown results from about 6K ago...
Cylinder 1:

Cylinder 2:

Cylinder 3:

Cylinder 4:

Not bad considering the mileage and usage it's seen

Eventually a buddy of mine was going to buy it. So I fixed a bunch of oil leaks (dist o ring, cylinder head plug, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, a couple others), fixed input shaft bearing, welded the subframe, etc... I'm sure I have some pics somewhere.. but I don't know where.. so skipping ahead...

So for the rebuild I decided I could do this is in one week and proceeded to order a ton of new parts. About $2,000 in just OEM Honda parts (all hoses, gaskets, rear ITR calipers, some control arms, seals, timing belt/water pump/associated bits, etc).

Also ordered:
Rebuilt front ITR calipers
Mini Cooper 280mm front rotors
EP3 Si rear rotors
Kosei K1s with Toyo RA1s
Moog inner and outer tie rods
Recaro Profi XL (comfy for road trips!  )
Random passenger seat from the race car
Pasenger harness from race car
Buddy club rails
Scrotch Profi HANS harness
NRG quick release and short hub
Bling ass (aka mugen) pedals
Skunk2 shift knobz y0
Momo race 350mm wheel
SS brake lines
Hard race bushings
Hard race steering rack bushings
Hard race front sway bar bushings
Eibach R2s with 700F/750R springs
CL RC6 front, CL RC5+ rear, and a set of Ferodo DS3000 to test out.
AP Super 600 fluid
Competition Clutch street disc/pressure plate
Competition Clutch Ultra light flywheel

Sadly I didn’t take too many rebuild pics, was too busy working. At work and on the car. 8-9 hour day at work followed by 5-6 on the car EVERY night kinda sucked after a few days.

WMHM (West Michigan Honda Meet) fucks with my head every year. This year I decided to do something about it by building the GS-R again.

Since the subframe was ripped (and rewelded by myself and a friend) this was the first thing I wanted to check and make sure the plan could continue in a timely fashion…

And this just happened to be laying around in a buddy Nate's storage unit.. sanding it this weekend and painting it S2000 Grand Prix White (I have a can sitting around).

Everything removed (most of the interior, engine/trans gone, no suspension, etc)
[img] http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/gs...r-stripped.jpg[/img]

Cleaned off IM gasket material, installed sandwich plate, still has old hoses...

Oil filter installed, new gasket, new hoses, new PVC, breather box grommets, o-ring, joints, etc..

Intake manifold reinstalled (hard to torque that thing, should be "good enough" lol), wiring reconnected, vacuum lines reconnected (I haven't replaced those, probably should but then seem soft enough :shrug: famous last words I'm sure )

Steering rack related stuff...
Subframe dropped, new bushings installed, one inner and outer tie rod replaced with new vent tube, bellows/bands/etc. Ghetto power steering bypass/loop.

Subframe reinstalled in the car with both outer and inners replaced, bellows, etc.

Pass side tie rod...

And then the shifter stabilizer/etc.. replaced both dust boots, the collar, o-rings, bushings (where the linkage connects and the white thing around the shifter ball).

Shitty hardrace compliance bushing didn't fit on one side.. forgot to deal with this so far.

Comparison of original one and hardrace one:

Suspension mounted. Thanks to @_MrK for shipping them to Dave “Twinkle Toes” 

Tight clearance between rear R2s and ASR RSB endlink bolt:

This is driving "straight". One wet surfaces the car does 4 wheel drifts while driving straight. Alignment is spot on IMO.

Finally empty..

Defi Oil Temp/Pressure gauges.

Alignment.. check the awesome before specs!

Corner balance. Weight with 180lb driver and a full tank (minus 3 miles between station and shop) is 2,735, so approx 2,475-2,500lbs without driver/gas.

So the car is ready to go. Rebuild took 8 days. It's been sitting for a few weeks since then until I got it aligned and corner balanced today. Drives much better now

I purchased a bunch of parts from companies/vendors from here that are involved in the FRS/BRZ to keep it in the family.
Eibach (@Jackson and @_MrK), Essex (@JRitt), No Limit Motorsport (@No Limit Motorsport), and some others but I don't know their usernames to mention them

The car's track debut will be next Monday/Tuesday at Mid Ohio at www.itrexpo.com

Rebuilding a car in a week to drive it 3,500 miles and track it 1,100 or so from home.. stupid? Yeah probably.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
B L U E S L A T E (09-24-2013), Draco_PR23 (12-12-2013), M-17 (09-04-2013), Rampage (09-04-2013), ShoShin (12-12-2013), Sportsguy83 (09-24-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Odd, the mentions didn't seem to work..

Just so they know they are being thanked

Eibach ( @Jackson and @_MrK), Essex ( @JRitt ), No Limit Motorsport ( @No Limit Motorsport ), and some others but I don't know their usernames to mention them

I would have edited the original post but it comes up blank when I try.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Inb4 fwd haters.

Nice work. I also like the idea of "being able to ball it up and not cry about it" methodology. Good work on the corner balancing and I lol'd at the floor mat.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Man that's some awesome work you did there. Reminds me of my old GS-R. Had pretty much every bolt on every made. Reading your post made me miss that girl. Had some great memories with her.

On a side note. Makes me wonder if a Subaru will ever had the no-nonsense dependability of the Honda. Call me pesimistic, but I doubt it will ever have what those old Honda's did. You can just feel it in and around the car IMO.

In any case, good luck at the track! :happy0180:
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Awesome!! I bought a '92 Prelude VTEC new back in 1993. I always had a soft spot for that and the GSR (a friend of mine bought a new one in '95 after really liking my car).

I wish I could have kept it and rebuilt like you're doing. Damn nostalgia.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Fuck... Makes me want to re register my beast. Nothing like a 13:5 comp 1.8 liter screaming to 9500rpms. Make my brz seem like a tricycle in acceleration.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This takes me back to days when I used to have an Integra. Thanks for sharing!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Purdue FR-S
Boiler Up!

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Props for a clean GS-R! I wish I was born a decade earlier than I was :P ... I would have loved to take delivery of one of Honda's golden years machines.
Purdue FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Inb4 fwd haters.

Nice work. I also like the idea of "being able to ball it up and not cry about it" methodology. Good work on the corner balancing and I lol'd at the floor mat.
I like FWD haters. A buddy of mine was a FWD hater, he races an Integra now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue FR-S View Post
Props for a clean GS-R! I wish I was born a decade earlier than I was :P ... I would have loved to take delivery of one of Honda's golden years machines.
Clean? Mechanically maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
Fuck... Makes me want to re register my beast. Nothing like a 13:5 comp 1.8 liter screaming to 9500rpms. Make my brz seem like a tricycle in acceleration.
Haha yeah both of my Integras make the BRZ feel slow sadly BRZ does have MUCH higher cornering speeds though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Man that's some awesome work you did there. Reminds me of my old GS-R. Had pretty much every bolt on every made. Reading your post made me miss that girl. Had some great memories with her.

On a side note. Makes me wonder if a Subaru will ever had the no-nonsense dependability of the Honda. Call me pesimistic, but I doubt it will ever have what those old Honda's did. You can just feel it in and around the car IMO.

In any case, good luck at the track! :happy0180:
I don't doubt that Subaru is capable of it. I don't think the BRZ is there though

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
One of the best cars ever made....by any car company! I miss my little red GSR. I sold it after getting pissed that my kids kept begging to borrow it then bringing it back with new dents. Occasionally, I will go on autotrader.com and think about buying another one to use as a fun daily.

Awesome build. It is great to see someone keeping one alive and tearing up the tracks.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Jackson

Drives: E46 M3 (daily) / EG Civic (track)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Great stuff, Dave! Bummed I won't be at Expo this year but we're still supporting the event. Going to work on bringing out one of my cars for next year.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hey Dave...

Keep that inside rear tire on the ground!

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3166741

Best quote in that whole thread came towards the end from the genius himself about what going fast in a fwd car really is.

Quote:
There's how much peak lateral force the back of the car can produce while working.
There's how much peak lateral & tractive force the front of the car can produce while working.
An inflection point in the relationship between the two is NOT indicated by the inside rear lifting.
The inflection point in the relationship between the two is indicated by the outside rear "letting go" and there being enough tractive capacity in the front to outrun it.
THAT is the sweet spot. THAT is The Edge.
I was teaching earlier this year and was talking about how to really go fast in a fwd car and I said: "you have to have to drive faster than your rear tires." It took me another hour to explain it.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
Purdue FR-S
Boiler Up!

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Snap just realized your taking it to mid ohio ... i'll take off work and come watch :P
Purdue FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
Great stuff, Dave! Bummed I won't be at Expo this year but we're still supporting the event. Going to work on bringing out one of my cars for next year.
Damn man I didn't know you were missing it this year

You could have drove the GS-R if you made it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
One of the best cars ever made....by any car company! I miss my little red GSR. I sold it after getting pissed that my kids kept begging to borrow it then bringing it back with new dents. Occasionally, I will go on autotrader.com and think about buying another one to use as a fun daily.

Awesome build. It is great to see someone keeping one alive and tearing up the tracks.
No shortage of keeping them alive here. Race car has about 220,000 miles on it, this one is about 163-164, ITR has about 134, the ITR that rollbar came out of just passed 200k. All are maintained rock solid besides the normal 15 year old original part failures here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Hey Dave...

Keep that inside rear tire on the ground!

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3166741

Best quote in that whole thread came towards the end from the genius himself about what going fast in a fwd car really is.

I was teaching earlier this year and was talking about how to really go fast in a fwd car and I said: "you have to have to drive faster than your rear tires." It took me another hour to explain it.
Scott is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue FR-S View Post
Snap just realized your taking it to mid ohio ... i'll take off work and come watch :P
Do it. Austin will be there with his FR-S as well.. plus a ton of Integras and other Hondas since it's the ITR Expo and all Free to attend and watch. Banquet cost money but that can be skipped. Drunken jackassery at the hotel after is free too
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
TouchMyHonda (09-05-2013)