follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
RedRocket

Drives: Firestorm Red FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How can you help somebody get into HPDE

I want to get into Autocross.

I know very little of it, and don't plan to make money doing it, but rather do it for the joy of enjoying my car(which is not my daily driver).

What can you tell me about getting started.

What do I need to know?

What do I need to do to my car?

What things should I consider before I do it?

Any information you can give me I would appriciate.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
HPDEs are non-timed track events, where AutoX more of a timed parking lot thing. AutoX is definitely the cheaper and more easily doable of the two.

Find your local AutoX group, and show up for an event. Wear comfortable shoes. Don't be afraid to ask someone for a ride along. The people are generally friendly and helpful to new folks. Don't modify your car until you can talk to someone, and learn more about the rules / what class you want to compete in.

I'm not well versed in AutoX. Hopefully someone else can help you more.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Show up, ask questions, drive, how much are you willing to spend on participating and modifying your car. Find your local SCCA region here: http://www.scca.com/about/index.cfm?cid=44433

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I want to get into Autocross.

I know very little of it, and don't plan to make money doing it, but rather do it for the joy of enjoying my car(which is not my daily driver).

What can you tell me about getting started.

What do I need to know?

What do I need to do to my car?

What things should I consider before I do it?

Any information you can give me I would appriciate.
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
What they said. Plus you'll need a valid helmet (many clubs allow motorcycle helmets, which are easier to find). Also, consider doing a car control clinic before you do your first autox event. You'll learn skills which you can apply both to autox as well as to normal driving. Plus they're a lot of fun :-)

edit: Automobile magazine bought a long-term BRZ which they are specifically using for motorsports events of various sorts. They've written up at least one autox to date, and the journalist driving it was an autox newbie, so that might give you useful information as well.
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Autocross and HPDE/track days are two very different activities. Cost, wear on the car, risk and speeds involved, etc are very different. Both typically require you to commit a full day to the event. Most autocrosses will cost you $25-40 for the day where you will get on average 4-8 runs of less than 60 seconds each and you probably won't go over 60-65 mph. HPDE/tracks days will likely cost you $150-250 per day, there will be multiple cars on course with you, and speeds at a lot of tracks will be in excess of 100 mph.

Find your local SCCA or NASA region, some areas have local non-affiliated clubs that run autocrosses and track days as well, most post their schedules online. For track days/HPDE's you need to preregister and make sure your car meets the tech/safety requirements, and you'll need to buy a Snell rated helmet. For autocrossing you can just show up the morning of the event (make sure you get there with plenty of time to spare), register and pay on site, and at registration, just tell them it is your first time, and they should be able to point you to someone in charge that can help you. Usually there is a novice coordinator that helps the new people. IIRC every autocross I've attended has had loaner helmets available for people who don't have their own.

Focus on having fun, learning car control, get experienced drivers to ride along and give you pointers, and leave your ego at the door. I see a lot of people show up at events in "fast" cars, only to get beat by people in Minis and Neons and Miatas with experienced drivers on better tires, get ticked off, and not come back. Most autocross clubs/regions have driving schools early in the season, and these are always a good idea for new drivers to attend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miniata For This Useful Post:
RedRocket (10-02-2012)