follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
It is quite strange because at the port they would have to pop the hood to pass the inspection check list. Unless someone was not doing their job...
Yep. The problem is that it could have happened many places and times and of course nobody would know they broke it until the next person tried to open it and it didn't. Could have happened 5 minutes before the car was picked up or weeks prior and just nobody tried to open it (which means several people would have to skip doing inspections). There are several things a dealer may knowingly try to slip past a buyer but a hood that won't open is not likely one of them.
Dadhawk (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackizzle86 View Post
I made the mistake when I bought mine last month. I test drove the car, but assuming I was buying a new car, I didn't do a thorough walk-through of the car. The next morning I noticed that the pass side front bumper wasn't shiny. When I took a closer look, it was obviously repaired previously and the paint wasn't buffed to blend in. Then they made a half assed attempt to fix it.
That's awful, I guess it could always be worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
I agree with most here. Sorry it happened, surely they'll fix it for free.

Dealership should be able to get the part/parts necessary in an overnight shipment. If they did not offer that, then I'd be upset somewhat. In that respect, then the parts manager of that Dealership would be the one to talk with, and of course in a very pleasant and nice manner on your part....and in person if possible.
They didn't offer overnight shipping or anything. The service guy said "I have to order a part, I have no idea when it'll get here." Like thanks for nothing. At least give me an ETA or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Scott Heron View Post
As I was looking at the car at the dealership, among the first things I did was open the hood. If anything on the car didn't open, close, turn, shift, or otherwise do what it was supposed to, I'd have known it before I drove it off the lot.

I did notice a few days after I took it home that the dealership had chipped the paint on the fuel door opening. I figure they did it when they fueled it.
This would definitely be worse than my hood issue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
I'm with the OP. I would be pissed. Especially with a new car. They will fix it at no charge with the assumption that it was that way before you picked it up.

Personally .... I would speak to the guy that sold the car to you and request an additional free service or maybe a $100 gas card. You're not going to get $, but you should get something for YOUR time and for the dealership to save face.
It's mainly the time/gas that's killing me atm. Like I said earlier, I initially drove to the dealer the same day I found out I was having an issue, they told me to come back in the morning (Day 1), then I came back in the morning, it took them 3-4 hours to figure out they couldn't open the hood (day 2), so I bring it back the following week (Day 3), it takes them from 10am-2pm to finally get the hood open and realize a piece broke off. Get a short call from the service guy about him ordering a part and not knowing when the part will come in. I basically work a 9-5 atm and their service department takes forever so idk when I can go back in to get it fixed. The next trip there will be the fourth day for this issue, driving back and forth. All for a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I agree but they should offer some form of compensation if they feel they have wronged a customer. If they do not feel they wronged them then why offer? It is the perceived sense of entitlement to compensation that bugs me in this case (although I get OP is just pissed off at this point and may just be lashing out). I would be pissed as well and if they offered me something they would have a slightly happier customer. I would not ever dream that they owed me something and doubt I would even make the hint they should give me anything much less ask outright. That is just me though.
We have only heard one side of the story as well. Everybody is always prepared to go on a with hunt against car dealers when they are really just a business like any other. People seem to feel that since cars are expensive then dealers make piles of money and should just give things away. That is not the case with many. Even if they do make loads of money there is still no reason for them to give things away. How many people here volunteer for work and refuse any raises or bonuses? How long would you work for a place that every time somebody made an error you had to take money out of your pocket and give it a way?
Fair enough, and I guess you have no real reason to trust the word of someone you've never met, but I assure you there is no other side to the story. I have not let anyone touch the car in the couple weeks that I've owned it, and I texted my salesman/drove the car over to the dealership to get it fixed less than 30 minutes after I realized it had an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcarrot View Post
Here, I will make you feel better:

Get off your computer, jump in the car and focus on the parts that make you smile. Hopefully it will be a long time before you have to go back to the dealer (and hopefully never have to drive a Nissan Rogue for weeks, that was the worst) and the rest of the time you just drive and grin, drive and grin.

PS: I do not advocate testing out what those buttons next to the gear shifter do in the first few weeks of ownership, at least not when there is a guard rail nearby!

Good luck and enjoy your car!
Thanks for your post. Please realize and notice that I haven't badmouthed the car or Toyota. I've never taken so many pictures of a car before this one, nor have I gone for as many pointless 1hr+ long drives or taken the long way home because I enjoy a car so much before this one. It looks amazing and handles like a dream. I could've gotten so many more powerful sports cars or even sport sedans but I chose this one and it has everything I need (minus maybe push button start)...and MAAAYBE like 20-30 more lb-ft of torque.

EDIT: Also, it's not like I was expecting them to give me the car for free or something, just a gas card. I figured a $25-$50 card would be fair if they offered but I don't even care anymore. I'm just gonna message the salesmen about figuring out when the part will come in so this can all be over. The car is amazing btw, I'm so happy to be out of a CUV.
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:28 AM   #31
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post

Fair enough, and I guess you have no real reason to trust the word of someone you've never met, but I assure you there is no other side to the story. I have not let anyone touch the car in the couple weeks that I've owned it, and I texted my salesman/drove the car over to the dealership to get it fixed less than 30 minutes after I realized it had an issue.

Thanks for your post. Please realize and notice that I haven't badmouthed the car or Toyota. I've never taken so many pictures of a car before this one, nor have I gone for as many pointless 1hr+ long drives or taken the long way home because I enjoy a car so much before this one. It looks amazing and handles like a dream. I could've gotten so many more powerful sports cars or even sport sedans but I chose this one and it has everything I need (minus maybe push button start)...and MAAAYBE like 20-30 more lb-ft of torque.

I wasn't implying that you caused it. There is little doubt it happened well before you got the car. I meant the other side of the story on how you approached them on the subject. If somebody came in ranting and raving about a broken piece they be less inclined to offer up something than if the person was reasonable. It isn't over yet so who knows they may still give you something once the repair is done.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 AM   #32
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
WARRANTY
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #33
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Opens hood without being ASE Certified... TOTALED.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #34
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I wasn't implying that you caused it. There is little doubt it happened well before you got the car. I meant the other side of the story on how you approached them on the subject. If somebody came in ranting and raving about a broken piece they be less inclined to offer up something than if the person was reasonable. It isn't over yet so who knows they may still give you something once the repair is done.

Gotcha..but I didn't rant or act super rude or anything. Ive been very calm and reasonable aside from the one time I asked for compensation. But even then, I said it very casually and only because the service guy implied that I would hurt my baby and ruin the hood on my own lol which pissed me off , I take extremely good care of everything I own and I kinda take comments like that very personally. I didn't even know a piece broke off until my third trip there. As an aside, I kinda have doubts about how it happened, I mean, the service guy was just speculating and no one really knows what happened except for the person who messed with the car. Thanks for bringing in a different perspective though, I'm basically over it, still love the car and just want it to be fixed. Which is exactly why I made the thread lol, to get to this point.
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HachiRokuX For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:10 PM   #35
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
Gotcha..but I didn't rant or act super rude or anything. Ive been very calm and reasonable aside from the one time I asked for compensation. But even then, I said it very casually and only because the service guy implied that I would hurt my baby and ruin the hood on my own lol which pissed me off , I take extremely good care of everything I own and I kinda take comments like that very personally. I didn't even know a piece broke off until my third trip there. As an aside, I kinda have doubts about how it happened, I mean, the service guy was just speculating and no one really knows what happened except for the person who messed with the car. Thanks for bringing in a different perspective though, I'm basically over it, still love the car and just want it to be fixed. Which is exactly why I made the thread lol, to get to this point.
p1l0t (03-31-2017)