follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2015, 02:21 AM   #1
Celigts

Drives: 2014 Toyota FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
switchback turn signals with toms tailights

I'm having an issue with my front switchbacks for turn signals. They conflict with the toms tail lights or my winjet headlights...currently I have the module for the switchbacks as well but it's not installed. I'm no wireing expert so I need help.

Currently all are installed. My switchbacks only flash amber when the signals are turned on. The entire rear lights are out except when I hit the brakes.

What's the fix??
Celigts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #2
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you have a new light control relay, install it. the stock ones are designed to work with filament bulbs for rear tails and since toms are LED that might be freaking out your car.

And when you turn on your signals, your switch backs are supposed to flash orange so i dont really understand what you mean by that.

From the sound of it, did you wire up your TOMS correctly? because with the stock tail lights, there are two sets of wires that run to each one. One to run the red leds and another set that does the turn signals. I think the problem may be you might not have plugged in the turn signal wiring
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:19 AM   #3
Celigts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlewistan View Post
If you have a new light control relay, install it. the stock ones are designed to work with filament bulbs for rear tails and since toms are LED that might be freaking out your car.

And when you turn on your signals, your switch backs are supposed to flash orange so i dont really understand what you mean by that.

From the sound of it, did you wire up your TOMS correctly? because with the stock tail lights, there are two sets of wires that run to each one. One to run the red leds and another set that does the turn signals. I think the problem may be you might not have plugged in the turn signal wiring
The toms and winjet have been on. Working fine for over a year. So the issue must be with the new led switchback turn signals? I just plugged them in...and the issues laid out occured.

I meant the switchbacks only light up amber when the turn signals arevengaged. They do not light up white at all. So when the headlights are on...they sit dark
Old 02-18-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celigts View Post
The toms and winjet have been on. Working fine for over a year. So the issue must be with the new led switchback turn signals? I just plugged them in...and the issues laid out occured.

I meant the switchbacks only light up amber when the turn signals arevengaged. They do not light up white at all. So when the headlights are on...they sit dark
what happens when you switch back to stock bulbs?
Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
Celigts

Garage
Quote:
I suspect they'll work fine. However I'll check tomorrow when there is light out. I'll post asap
Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
Celigts

Garage
Quote:
I suspect they'll work fine. However I'll check tomorrow when there is light out. I'll post asap
Once I put the stock bulbs in...everything works fine.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm having an issue with my front switchbacks for turn signals. They conflict with the toms tail lights or my winjet headlights...currently I have the module for the switchbacks as well but it's not installed. I'm no wireing expert so I need help.

Currently all are installed. My switchbacks only flash amber when the signals are turned on. The entire rear lights are out except when I hit the brakes.

What's the fix??
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2090408

Here's some more evidence to a faulty Switchback set. I had a weird problem where one of the switchbacks caused the turn signal corresponding to the side of the car it was installed on to light up at the dim setting (in between blinks).

I tried three separate relays before discerning that the switchback was indeed the issue. I then pull both lights, and went trial and error to discern that it was one of the switchbacks.

Diode Dynamics sent me out a new set and they worked good as new.

Bring this up to the vendor you bought the switchbacks from. It's 100% them if you have tried a different relay.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
Celigts

Garage
Quote:
Actually I lied...putting in the stock bulbs did not fix the issue....now my taillights do not work...brake light and turn signals do work....Im so lost now....
Old 02-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #9
Celigts

Garage
Fixed!!! It was the 10amp fuse under the driver side dash...4th from the bottom labeled "tail" replaced it and everything works....switchbacks. Sidemarkers...taillights. ..thanks for help guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Celigts For This Useful Post:
mrlewistan (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #10
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Garage
Quote:
Actually I lied...putting in the stock bulbs did not fix the issue....now my taillights do not work...brake light and turn signals do work....Im so lost now....
sounds like something shorted out then
edit: woops replied too late lol
The Following User Says Thank You to mrlewistan For This Useful Post:
Celigts (02-19-2015)