follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Could this be possible?

I just saw a new Subaru Crosstrek in a parking lot today and noticed that they have the same Navi unit as in our BRZ's. The car was equiped with a backup camera. Got me to thinking. Couldn't we just order the backup camera from the dealership and just install into our cars? Should be plug n play no?

Experts out there, please chime in.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It's been done.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
It's been done.
First of all, it hasn't been done. Not with factory parts anyway, which is what I'm asking. I've been following since the beginning on some of the other threads about backup cameras. What I'm asking in here is would it be a plug and play scenario with factory parts. Like can I order the parts from subaru and have them snap right in without and further mods.

Next time please read more carefully before jumping to conclusions.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
First of all, it hasn't been done. Not with factory parts anyway, which is what I'm asking. I've been following since the beginning on some of the other threads about backup cameras. What I'm asking in here is would it be a plug and play scenario with factory parts. Like can I order the parts from subaru and have them snap right in without and further mods.

I think it's best if you figure out if the audio/navi system is exactly the same as the BRZ's. They may look the same but the back of the head unit might be different in regards to connectors. If it is the same, then you should be able to install a factory backup camera. It's not going to be plug n play as I'm sure you might have to do some wiring.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
I think it's best if you figure out if the audio/navi system is exactly the same as the BRZ's. They may look the same but the back of the head unit might be different in regards to connectors. If it is the same, then you should be able to install a factory backup camera. It's not going to be plug n play as I'm sure you might have to do some wiring.
This Is exactly what I'd like to find out.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
This Is exactly what I'd like to find out.
Try finding out the part numbers then looking it up on google. Maybe someone may have an insight or picture in regards to how it looks on the back.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
zoomzoomers (08-23-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Well it's been done on Scions with the Bespoke Navi and 10 Series owners with the new HU. Didn't realize the BRZ Navi was all that different.

Why not ask a parts manager at Subaru about the Crosstek in question. They should be able to reference the service manual for both and cross check the part #s on both. Looks like the backup camera is part of the Moonroof+Navigation package on the Crosstek.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey, Zoom! You can always go to the parts dept and compare the PN of both units on each car! If they match, then you can present your question to the parts clerk! God speed!
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfking For This Useful Post:
zoomzoomers (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #9
zoomzoomers

Yes, that's exactly why I started this thread. In hopes that someone on this forum might have already tried. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Admiral Ballsy
Shorter of breath

Drives: a soft bargain
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I considered it.

First thing, you'd have to fab up some way to mount it - it sits in a cavity in the trim panel on the Crosstek, no such thing exists on the BRZ.

Second, there's no harness for it in the BRZ, so you'd either have to buy that too - and I'm not even sure it's available as a piece-part (i.e. not part of some larger harness) - or fabricate one. If you go the latter route, you've got to identify and track down all the various connectors and contacts.

Finally, it's almost certainly going to cost a LOT more than just buying an aftermarket camera.

I just installed a Rydeed Duo last week. The picture quality isn't as good as most OEMs I've seen, but it's more than good enough. It was reasonably priced, and most of all it was dead simple to install - I didn't have to do any fab work beyond drilling a hole in the trim panel and attaching contacts to the 'business end' of the cable.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Admiral Ballsy For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (08-24-2013), zoomzoomers (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy View Post
I considered it.

First thing, you'd have to fab up some way to mount it - it sits in a cavity in the trim panel on the Crosstek, no such thing exists on the BRZ.

Second, there's no harness for it in the BRZ, so you'd either have to buy that too - and I'm not even sure it's available as a piece-part (i.e. not part of some larger harness) - or fabricate one. If you go the latter route, you've got to identify and track down all the various connectors and contacts.

Finally, it's almost certainly going to cost a LOT more than just buying an aftermarket camera.

I just installed a Rydeed Duo last week. The picture quality isn't as good as most OEMs I've seen, but it's more than good enough. It was reasonably priced, and most of all it was dead simple to install - I didn't have to do any fab work beyond drilling a hole in the trim panel and attaching contacts to the 'business end' of the cable.
@zoomzoomers - This guy got it spot on. The cameras are completely different from the OEM Impreza, XV, Legacy/Outback, etc.. Even the JDM WRX/STi is significantly different than the one used for the BRZ.

If you want an "OEM" solution, you would need to follow my lead and install the JDM OEM Camera for the BRZ.

Believe me, I had the exact same thoughts as you. Until I started lookin deeply into how the cars different trim panels are set up.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
zoomzoomers (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #12
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
@zoomzoomers - This guy got it spot on. The cameras are completely different from the OEM Impreza, XV, Legacy/Outback, etc.. Even the JDM WRX/STi is significantly different than the one used for the BRZ.

If you want an "OEM" solution, you would need to follow my lead and install the JDM OEM Camera for the BRZ.

Believe me, I had the exact same thoughts as you. Until I started lookin deeply into how the cars different trim panels are set up.
I didn't know that you sourced the JDM camera and parts. How did it go? By any chance, did you do a DIY on it? If so, I'd love to see it. If that is too difficult, then I just might go the after market route and be done with it.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I didn't know that you sourced the JDM camera and parts. How did it go? By any chance, did you do a DIY on it? If so, I'd love to see it. If that is too difficult, then I just might go the after market route and be done with it.
Yep. I'm an OEM kinda guy. That is the theme of my whole car.

It was fairly painless considering all of the parts are OEM and "meant" to be installed in the FT platform. I did need an adapter harness that I got from SVXdc that made the whole affair plug and play. All of the wiring on the JDM cars and Accessories are quite a bit different then ours.

This install is not for the timid or inexperienced though. You will need to be very hands-on and have more than your average hand tools.

For most I will recommend to go with an aftermarket set-up as they are much more affordable. You will probably still need some kind of adapter harness or pinned wires to plug into the OEM harness.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
zoomzoomers (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
Yep. I'm an OEM kinda guy. That is the theme of my whole car.

It was fairly painless considering all of the parts are OEM and "meant" to be installed in the FT platform. I did need an adapter harness that I got from SVXdc that made the whole affair plug and play. All of the wiring on the JDM cars and Accessories are quite a bit different then ours.

This install is not for the timid or inexperienced though. You will need to be very hands-on and have more than your average hand tools.

For most I will recommend to go with an aftermarket set-up as they are much more affordable. You will probably still need some kind of adapter harness or pinned wires to plug into the OEM harness.
This is what I was looking for. Thanks for the info. This sort of settles it. I think I'm going to go with one of the proven aftermarket route now.