follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #533
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
Okay, here's my first question.

Since you said narrower tires give advantage on straight line, and wider tires give better grip on corners, can you suggest which tire size I should run on this track? Currently running 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on stock wheels. I'll be using the current tire for April track day, but my concern is for future sessions.

I know you said not to bother with current tires, but in June or sometime late season, I'll be going to full 2 days HPDE session. I don't think I'll have much tread left on current tire. Planned tire size is either 225 45 17 or 245 40 17.
Personally I'd run the 225s at Slummit.

At all the tracks I go to I'd run (and do when I use the BRZ) 225s. Maybe not for AMP, that might be the only one.. maybe RRR also but I hate going there so no worries on that one lol
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #534
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Before the experts chime in, I'm going to say you want to optimize for straight line speed over cornering on that track.
Probably not.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #535
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I have a couple questions:

-For my first track day, I would like to get an instructor. Where and how does one get one? How much do they charge? I want to try out Willow Springs and Buttonwillow. Or, do HPDE events have a bunch of instructors there to help anyone out?

-Should you only get an instructor for your 1st time, or is it also good to get one your first couple of times (2nd, 3rd, etc.); and also for a track you've never been to yet even though it's not your 1st time tracking?

-I am interested in those inexpensive track days I see posted occasionally for $90'ish; as I am a broke type of person and that sounds like a very good deal (kinda like a ticket to Disneyland ). I cannot afford an expensive specialized proper racing school like Skip Barber and stuff.

-Also, at ButtonWillow or Willow Springs, can you just leave your stuff in your little parking-space-makeshift-open-air-garage (dunno the term for this lol)? I've been to dragstrips many times and a few drift events in the 90s, and that's how we did it back then with a bunch of friends (just hung out there in that parking spot with all the tools, gear, chairs, ez ups and food.

-Is it OK to go by yourself, solo, to Willow Springs and Butonwillow for track and hpde events, and just leave your stuff (jack, tools, chairs, track gear, food, etc. (no expensive wheels/stuff tho)) unattended while you're out on the track at your little designated parking spot? (without worrying about theft). Asking because I think I would like to go by myself to hpde/track days whenever I feel like it; and, especially since I do not have any friends that are into cars/racing anymore these days (I'm getting old... and friends eventually get old too and got into other things as life goes by (families, separate lives, move elsewhere, non-car things, etc.) these days...heck, even I got out of car stuff in the early 2000s and really thought I would never return ...but I have been bittin by the bug again, primarily/only because of this awesome new car that is the 86 . So, I guess I am really the only "young" person out of my old friends that is still a car freak and down to go to the track.

-What hours do these usually run? I assume early morning..but until when? 5pm or when the sun goes down? For single day events, does everyone just drive home straight from the track?

Just thinking about it is making me excited! Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun being at a place I can burn rubber again (and I am sure it'll be much more fun than drag racing which is too short and only going straight or slow-speed drifting which I suck at lol)

Last edited by fooddude; 03-27-2014 at 10:04 PM.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #536
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
Okay, here's my first question.

Since you said narrower tires give advantage on straight line, and wider tires give better grip on corners, can you suggest which tire size I should run on this track? Currently running 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on stock wheels. I'll be using the current tire for April track day, but my concern is for future sessions.

I know you said not to bother with current tires, but in June or sometime late season, I'll be going to full 2 days HPDE session. I don't think I'll have much tread left on current tire. Planned tire size is either 225 45 17 or 245 40 17.
Go with the 225
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #537
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
I have a couple questions:

-For my first track day, I would like to get an instructor. Where and how does one get one? How much do they charge? I want to try out Willow Springs and Buttonwillow. Or, do HPDE events have a bunch of instructors there to help anyone out?

-Should you only get an instructor for your 1st time, or is it also good to get one your first couple of times (2nd, 3rd, etc.); and also for a track you've never been to yet even though it's not your 1st time tracking?

-I am interested in those inexpensive track days I see posted occasionally for $90'ish; as I am a broke type of person and that sounds like a very good deal (kinda like a ticket to Disneyland ). I cannot afford an expensive specialized proper racing school like Skip Barber and stuff.

-Also, at ButtonWillow or Willow Springs, can you just leave your stuff in your little parking-space-makeshift-open-air-garage (dunno the term for this lol)? I've been to dragstrips many times and a few drift events in the 90s, and that's how we did it back then with a bunch of friends (just hung out there in that parking spot with all the tools, gear, chairs, ez ups and food.

-Is it OK to go by yourself, solo, to Willow Springs and Butonwillow for track and hpde events, and just leave your stuff (jack, tools, chairs, track gear, food, etc. (no expensive wheels/stuff tho)) unattended while you're out on the track at your little designated parking spot? (without worrying about theft). Asking because I think I would like to go by myself to hpde/track days whenever I feel like it; and, especially since I do not have any friends that are into cars/racing anymore these days (I'm getting old... and friends eventually get old too and got into other things as life goes by (families, separate lives, move elsewhere, non-car things, etc.) these days...heck, even I got out of car stuff in the early 2000s and really thought I would never return ...but I have been bittin by the bug again, primarily/only because of this awesome new car that is the 86 . So, I guess I am really the only "young" person out of my old friends that is still a car freak and down to go to the track.

-What hours do these usually run? I assume early morning..but until when? 5pm or when the sun goes down? For single day events, does everyone just drive home straight from the track?

Just thinking about it is making me excited! Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun being at a place I can burn rubber again (and I am sure it'll be much more fun than drag racing which is too short and only going straight or slow-speed drifting which I suck at lol)
Most organizations will supply a volunteer or low cost instructor, if you ask for one at the time of registration. My rates are significantly higher than the "lost cost" ones, but I absolutely guarantee that you will walk away satisfied that you got your money's worth.

Continual coaching is beneficial, as long as your coach is capable of improving your driving. Quality of instruction is highly variable, so ask around for reviews and/or referrals.

The HPDE's are a great place to start. Racing school is different from doing a track day.

Yup, I wouldn't recommend leaving out something that's obviously very expensive and small, but generally tools and tires/rims are just out.

Yup, but it's always more fun with some buddies and friendly competition. 86CUP is a great place to start. Lots of good guys.

Events typically run 8-5 (show up by 7 for these) or 9-6. Most people start leaving after lunch, so afternoon sessions tend to have more open track.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
fooddude (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #538
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Most organizations will supply a volunteer or low cost instructor, if you ask for one at the time of registration. My rates are significantly higher than the "lost cost" ones, but I absolutely guarantee that you will walk away satisfied that you got your money's worth.

Continual coaching is beneficial, as long as your coach is capable of improving your driving. Quality of instruction is highly variable, so ask around for reviews and/or referrals.

The HPDE's are a great place to start. Racing school is different from doing a track day.

Yup, I wouldn't recommend leaving out something that's obviously very expensive and small, but generally tools and tires/rims are just out.

Yup, but it's always more fun with some buddies and friendly competition. 86CUP is a great place to start. Lots of good guys.

Events typically run 8-5 (show up by 7 for these) or 9-6. Most people start leaving after lunch, so afternoon sessions tend to have more open track.
-Can you tell me the average rates for the "low cost" instructors and also better/more specialized instructors such as yourself? (just want to know, so I know how much cash to bring)

-Does the instructors only coach you the first few runs, or the entire day?

-How many runs average can you get in for a full day? What about a half day (leave at lunch time)?

-Usually how long is the down time/cool down/sitting/ralaxing period in the pits between runs? (drag racing with hundreds (maybe thousand? I forget exactly) of cars at the track was a drag (no pun intended)..I remember you had to wait soo long just to get like 3-5 of those super short runs in a day)

-Since you say a lot of people leave by lunchtime, is it possible to just come late, at noon, instead of the early morning? Or, is early 7am registration/check-in mandatory?

-About how long is each/single run at those tracks? Or how many laps in a single run(session?..idk the correct term)

-Any other great tracks in the SoCal area worth checking out?

-Any great tracks around/close to the Bay Area? (a slight chance I may move there in the future, indefinitely)
Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 AM   #539
CSG Mike

- Speed Ventures is $50 for the first session, and $40 or $30 for subsequent sessions. SV instructors are directly compensated. eXtreme Speed will give you a full day volunteer for $50. XS instructors are indirectly compensated (subsidized track time). Private Instruction through SV with a "pro" is $500. My freelance rate starts at $300/4 sessions, and goes up from there.

- See above

- 4 is usually the minimum, but as the day thins out, you can typically get extra seat time simply by asking registration. Keep in mind though, you'll probably be both mentally and physically exhausted as the afternoon approaches. Seasoned drivers are typically well conditioned.

- Depending on the day, you'll see between 20-30 minutes of track time per session, and then 60-100 minutes of down time in between. This gives you time to relax, or work on the car.

- Typically early check-in is mandatory for the driver's meeting. Exceptions may be granted on a case-by-case basis

- 20-30 minutes, typically

- SoWS, WSIR, HTM, BW, CVR, ACS, Thermal (private)

- Laguna Seca, Infineon, Thunderhill
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
fooddude (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #540
fooddude
Banned

Thanks for all the info

What's HTM?

Those NorCal tracks sound nice...I bet the milder/cooler weather would make the cars (and humans) happy.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:36 AM   #541
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
HTM=Horse Thief Mile
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #542
tnle

Drives: Toyota 86 13'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mike, which would say is the better Coilover for track?

Ohlins R&T
Or
KW V3s (+Top Hats)

(which totals to about the same price)

I'm leaning towards the Ohlins because of their Monotube design, but the I've heard the valve design in the KW (twin tubes) are absolutely fantastic and second to none.

In a perfect world I've love to buy a KW Competition 3 Way (monotube)... but.. yeah, would rather buy another 86/BRZ/FRS with that kinda cash
tnle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #543
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

Great info Mike as always.
Up here in the north, our club's trackdays (Motorsport Club of Ottawa) always can provide an instructor at no charge, pretty much for the whole day or as long as the student wants it (or needs it).

For newbies, an instructor is mandatory. We'll sign off students once we know that they can be safe, and are confident they are able to control their beast. And that may not be on the first day either.

It's a good model, and seems to be working well for us, lots of interest too.

I like to hop in or have a fellow instructor come with me for a session, as there is always lots to learn even as you become more advanced.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
amram (03-30-2014), dradernh (03-28-2014), fooddude (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #544
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnle View Post
Mike, which would say is the better Coilover for track?

Ohlins R&T
Or
KW V3s (+Top Hats)

(which totals to about the same price)

I'm leaning towards the Ohlins because of their Monotube design, but the I've heard the valve design in the KW (twin tubes) are absolutely fantastic and second to none.

In a perfect world I've love to buy a KW Competition 3 Way (monotube)... but.. yeah, would rather buy another 86/BRZ/FRS with that kinda cash
Neither really...

Single adjustable quality Monotube vs double adjustable entry level Twin tube...

How about a quality double adjustable of any brand? >.<
Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #545
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mike,

I'm running ATE Super Blue and have had excellent results with Carbotech pads during track days. No signs of fade or spongy pedal after a day at PIR with it's long straights and braking zones.

Should I still bleed them after every track day anyway as standard maintenance?

How often should I flush the system running 3-4 track days per season and another 3K road miles in a wet climate like Oregon?

What fluid might work even better and longer than ATE?

Thanks...
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #546
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Mike,

I'm running ATE Super Blue and have had excellent results with Carbotech pads during track days. No signs of fade or spongy pedal after a day at PIR with it's long straights and braking zones.

Should I still bleed them after every track day anyway as standard maintenance?

How often should I flush the system running 3-4 track days per season and another 3K road miles in a wet climate like Oregon?

What fluid might work even better and longer than ATE?

Thanks...
For DOT4 fluids, I recommend whenever the pedal gets mushy, or when the fluid is a year old, whichever comes first.

ATE Blue/R200 < Motul RBF600 < Motul RBF660 < Endless < Project Mu < Torque

Project Mu is popular because it's green, and turns brown as it ages, adding a visual indicator.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (03-28-2014), fooddude (03-28-2014), torqdork (03-28-2014)