follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
snapplepat
Skerrrrt

Drives: Turrrbaa BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I cant figure it out... Need help

So my car wont build boost. I can accelerate and drive like normal, as long as I stay out of positive pressure.
First thing I checked for is any charge piping leaks. I found none.
Next thing I checked for is proper wastegate actuator movement with a mighty vac. Opened at 10psi as it should.
Next I took off my downpipe to check for any play in my wastegate flapper. There was a decent amount, so i thought this would be my issue. I tightened my actuator rod a turn and a half and it is solid again. Went out for a test drive and the car fell on its face again... The disappointment was huge.
So next I watched my spec/actual for fuel pressure, cam position and cam adjustment. Everything appeared to be right where the ECU was telling it to be.

I dont know what to do from here, and am looking for advice on what to chase next. I was thinking tomorrow I'll pull off my front pipe, see if the cat got clogged from shooting fireballs or something. Idk. I dont get it because the car drives fine when its not in boost.

Heres a log of the issue... Alittle driving and alittle trying to get into boost.
http://www.datazap.me/u/tylersango/n...og=0&data=1-13
snapplepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Turbo kit? Tune software? Boost gauge? Pictures?
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
by the look of the log parameters you using oft so assume its and sbd turbo kit.

They have had problems with the early BOV , not sure if your running one.

Also log the injector opening times for port and direct, it might be tripping the overboost fuel cut (you might have dodgy MAP sensor) fuel cut so see if the injectors shut off when it falls on its face.

http://www.datazap.me/u/tylersango/n...3&zoom=147-188

looks weird in that section of log the maf (air flow remains fairly constant yet boost drops, looks like it could be venting/leaking somewhere. but could be the overboost fuel cut.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
snapplepat
Skerrrrt

@GsxrMe The kit is SBD v2, tuned on OFT. You can see the boost in the log that I took. As for pictures I can show you whatever you'd like but it looks just like any other sbd kit.
@steve99 Your right, it is OFT and SBD... As for blow off valve, I tested the old one I had with a vacuum pump. It was working, the spring was alittle stiff so I upgraded to the turbosmart race port valve. It's operation is much better than the sbd bov.

I'll take a log of the injectors today and try to mock up a boost leak tester to confirm everything is solid.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
snapplepat
Skerrrrt

@steve99
Here is that log, http://www.datazap.me/u/tylersango/l...og=0&data=7-14

I'll have to go to home depot to rig up a boost leak tester, I'm going to wait to hear back what you think about the log. I adjusted and retightened all of my couplers, they all seem to be good and there was no change I noticed in my test drive.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapplepat View Post
@steve99
Here is that log, http://www.datazap.me/u/tylersango/l...og=0&data=7-14

I'll have to go to home depot to rig up a boost leak tester, I'm going to wait to hear back what you think about the log. I adjusted and retightened all of my couplers, they all seem to be good and there was no change I noticed in my test drive.
the log needs to have throttle and rpm, maybe drop out injection mode and injection timing.

but it looks like the boost drops off before injectors are ramping down so it doesn't look like fuel cut.

Could you have an exhaust blockage like the secondary cat collapsed and blocking exhaust flow

This is what overboost fuel cut will look like on oft sdb tune

http://datazap.me/u/shivvishnu/oft-z...=0&data=2-9-13

boost rises over limit in this case 9psi , the fuel goes to zero (ie afr 20) throttle still full, but no fuel boost drops.

when the boost drops keep your foot on the throttle for a bit so you can see whats happening like in shivs log
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
snapplepat (02-20-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
snapplepat
Skerrrrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
the log needs to have throttle and rpm, maybe drop out injection mode and injection timing.

but it looks like the boost drops off before injectors are ramping down so it doesnt look like fuel cut.

Could you have an exhaust blockage like the secondary cat collapsed and blocking exhaust flow

Ah shoot, well I'm done working on the car for tonight so tomorrow I'll get you the log with the parameters you need.

N then I could have a blockage, I haven't pulled off the front pipe to test that theory yet because until now no one else thought that would be a possibility. I might have a few more drinks n decide to go back out there n pull it off though. Glimmer of hope. I just want to drive my car! Lol.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:07 AM   #8
snapplepat
Skerrrrt

So, I finally figured it out. Thanks to @steve99 for finally agreeing with me it could be a clogged exhaust! Everyone else told me I was crazy for thinking that so I brushed it off. 5 months of stressing about this over winter, to finally get it running right is so relieving.

I took my front pipe out and the car ran perfectly. Loud as fuck lol, but ran great.

Now its time to buy car parts
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snapplepat For This Useful Post:
GsxrMe (02-20-2017), jasonojordan (02-20-2017), steve99 (02-20-2017), Ultramaroon (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
So, I finally figured it out. Thanks to @steve99 for finally agreeing with me it could be a clogged exhaust! Everyone else told me I was crazy for thinking that so I brushed it off. 5 months of stressing about this over winter, to finally get it running right is so relieving.

I took my front pipe out and the car ran perfectly. Loud as fuck lol, but ran great.

Fantastic news @snapplepat and good call @steve99
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Well you learned a valuable lesson at least! Don't always trust what other people say go with your gut when trouble shooting! Worse case scenario your wrong and you just wasted a little time. Best case scenario you can say welp ahhh its fixed and feel like the smartest man alive till the next gremlin comes along and has you scratching your ass.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote