follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #99
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Tcoat: do you track car? I've heard that it's muffler stuffing may burn out when often going at high rpms, and thus loudness will increase for TRD exhaust by time.
I drive the piss out of mine. Was full catless for the last 60k km's and now I am running a turbo and its holding up fine for me.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #100
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Tcoat: do you track car? I've heard that it's muffler stuffing may burn out when often going at high rpms, and thus loudness will increase for TRD exhaust by time.
No I do not track. I do not know what type of internals the TRD muffler uses but would suspect that you would have to really, REALLY heat it up to burn anything out enough to have a sizable difference in volume.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #101
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
To give you more data, I have a TRD exhaust with the rest of the exhaust ligne being a Lachute (4-1 EL headers, 2.5" overpipe and frontpipe (hi-flow catted) and then the TRD catback). I track my car 12 to 15 days a year with 2-3 hours of track time each day + daily drive + drive it on winter (that snow drift!). The TRD catback is the only one that has held up the abuse for more than 1 year. The sound is very good, I also turn off the radio just to hear the car. Its like everyone said, boomy in the sub 3k rpm, growly between 3-4k and then just sounds high pitched (but not metallic) sound in the higher rpms.

I believe the volume of it to have stayed the same overtime, while my GF thinks it has gone up while my parents think it has gone down, so its subjective there as well (which might indicate very little change to none at all).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #102
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86Motorsports View Post
10% off across the complete website today, time to buy is today .
Im buying something today, I dont know what yet but I need to buy something!
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:46 AM   #103
Lav

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
To each their own but rear seat down driving? Of course it will be louder! lol I am going to put sound deadener in the rear where the tools and spare are. Highway driving tire noise is louder than the TRD exhaust. But im in jersey where potholes and concrete highways stay alive for generations.
Highway driving tire noise > trd exhaust.

Thanks for that reference point. Now Im pretty sure something is wrong. Not having heard many exhausts in person i couldnt tell what "barely louder than stock" really meant. But my new to me used frs is most definitely louder exhaust than tire noise even at like 70 mph

bibbity boppity give me the zoppity
Lav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (02-04-2019), Tcoat (02-04-2019)