follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
Akya2120

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arduino Gauge, Looking for Colab

Hey,

Was wondering if there are any code gurus on here that could work with me on building an Arduino oil pressure and temp gauge. I would build and test the circuit you'd have to figure out how to interface with the OBD2 for the oil temp and the oil pressure would have to interface with a oil pressure sensor.

Together we will discuss where to mount the screen and what the design for the bracket is. I am a designer can 3D print the mounts/brackets/fascias for making it fit together.

I already have an arduino mega for testing, but I would imagine we would want to use one of the smaller boards for implementation. We could also allow for extra functionalities like logging, or exhaust temp gauges, intake temps, et cetera. But, I believe for now the base functionality should just be getting temp and pressure for oil.

I propose that once we complete the project we make the 3D model, and code publicly available. That way everyone can have a fairly reasonable access to a sleek looking oil pressure and temp gauge that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. My interest was driven by this unit primarily, and not wanting to spend ~$500 to have it in my car.

Hoping someone can help me make this happen. Thanks for the interest.
Akya2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Reading and displaying the oil pressure from an off the shelf pressure gauge is trivial.

Pulling the oil temp from the OBD port would be more difficult than just reading it from a separate temp sensor.

I have an arduino datalogger in my racecar that logs all of the essential data and displays it on my phone like torque.
It just reads analog voltages from the oil temp & pressure gauges that are already in the car.

Check this out for arduino prototypes:

https://123d.circuits.io/
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Akya2120

There may be a way to tap the oil temp sensor directly that is already in the engine but I am unsure. It would take someone with more technical knowledge of the engine and it's components to make that observation. That avoids having to interpret OBD2 data, although that kind of interface might be more advantageous.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:05 AM   #4
stugray
Banned

Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
If you just included a ELM327 OBD module, then the arduino could access the OBD data over Bluetooth.

Those modules are only about $10.
I have one and number of various Arduino boards.
Just none with a Bluetooth shield/adapter.

There is also a CAN Bus shield, but that is ~$20 right there.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:56 AM   #5
Akya2120

The CAN Bus shield seems like a pretty good option. I think it is reasonable to spend ~$100 on an open source gauge which is expandable to other useful functionalities. It should definitely have a button or three. I like the idea of putting the gauge in the vent like the one I posted earlier, but at the same time I'd love to do something fancy (which doesn't reduce the functionality of another feature.) Like producing a replacement defroster vent that can house a screen for projecting the information on the windshield (kinda like this but not tacky as all hell.) Regardless I think making a replacement for that vent would be a good position to house a gauge. Opinions?

Is anyone familiar enough with the CAN Bus shield (or code) to tweak a script which has already be written to do what we want? I did a little reading, but from what I could find nothing specifically said it could be used to poll oil temps. It seems with the other capabilities it is reasonable to assume that it could, but perhaps someone more familiar with the tech could chime in.

Thanks for the interest and input thus far! Hopefully we can keep the ball rolling and put together a tutorial for making a well integrated and affordable solution to monitoring our engine's health.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
brz880

Drives: CSB 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Check out http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75181
brz880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:05 AM   #7
Akya2120

Well that makes life easy... Now to pick a screen (I like that one, but it might be impractical. also finding a way to make a pin out for an arduino may prove difficult.) Then find some buttons, and design an enclosure that fits the where the old vent goes. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how hard it is to get that vent piece out of the dash/how hard it would be to plumb wires into it?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
Captain Curt

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Base MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akya2120 View Post
Well that makes life easy... Now to pick a screen (I like that one, but it might be impractical. also finding a way to make a pin out for an arduino may prove difficult.) Then find some buttons, and design an enclosure that fits the where the old vent goes. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how hard it is to get that vent piece out of the dash/how hard it would be to plumb wires into it?
If you're looking for a screen, I highly recommend Adafruit or https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/76. They have a lot of plug-and-play options with PCB+driver+display solutions, and the support for their products is top notch.

If you ever have any Arduino related questions feel free to contact me. I've been toying around with them for years and have even designed my own scalable driver board for driving RGB LED's to give you an idea of current skill level:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpRtEYmvBlY"]RainBoard - RGB LED Rainbow Fader - YouTube[/ame]
Captain Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Curt For This Useful Post:
Akya2120 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:50 AM   #9
ze12o

Drives: BRZ 2015 DGM
im interested in contributing. i have also been toying around with this idea, and you read my mind about open source.

i have some ideas
ze12o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ze12o For This Useful Post:
Akya2120 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Akya2120

Nice! Sounds like we can all work together.

Anyone know if there is a technical drawing of that vent laying around? Otherwise I will have to just go buy one and take a bunch of measurements, or get an Xbox connect and scan it.

The open source is cool because someone else might add some functionality or modify it and make it a better and/or more visually appealing unit.

I also thought about putting it in the plastic piece to the left of the head unit but producing that piece might be a little harder with a 3D printer.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #11
Mazikowski

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Depending on how you want to do the gauge(s), 4D Systems has a 1.38" (35mm) round LCD.
http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/uLCD_220RD/
Mazikowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
@robot (sending out the robot signal)

I wish I could help guys, but I'll at least be interested in following along.

- andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:59 AM   #13
Sly_Don

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Garage
I'm currently working on something similar to this with an arduino as well.
The elm327 is pretty useful. I'm using this spark fun obd2 interface board which has everything built in for a bit more money than just an elm. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9555
As mentioned above the 4d systems stuff is pretty good and you can get them with they a built in processor with graphics libraries which takes the graphics load off the arduino. I'm using some of their screens for my project.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
Sly_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:36 AM   #14
pandamancer

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6M Ultramarine
Garage
Subbed and available for collaboration.

I've been pondering/planning a setup which would capture these requirements for a while now.

Last edited by pandamancer; 01-03-2016 at 02:54 AM.
pandamancer is offline   Reply With Quote